Based on the PM's with BB and I concerning my experimentation this thread has been generated.
Many months ago when I was "fighting algae" and I do not mean "a little on the rocks" as I am talking about the "real thing":
Very fine algae appeared on the rear wall of the tank.
Very fine algae appeared on the clear acrylic walls of the tank.
Diatom or Radiolaria Colonies began appearing on the tank walls.
Very, very dense algae began appearing on the tank walls.
I could not see my plants' leaves near the perimeter of tank due to the hair algae.
Algae bloom occurred (this bloom was of such an order of magnitude that I could see was 2" into my tank).
I undertook several courses of remediation (changes to the ecosystem)y but this thread concerns mechanical media (I have a wet/dry filtration system and am not familiar with other filtration systems).
1) I cut up "quilt batting" and placed it above the bio balls:
Crispy critter pump because I did not change the media "soon enough" and
Very little minimization of the algae bloom.
2) Purchased 50Mu media, cut it up and placed it below the quilt batting.
Changed the laminate every 6 hours and some joy: algae bloom decreased (as i noted above other changes were being made to the ecosystem).
3) Purchased 100Mu media, placed it between the quilt batting and the 50 Mu media. Significant joy wrt algae bloom but had another "crispy critter" pump.
What I now do is laminate the "blue and white" foam, the quilt batting, the 100Mu media and the 50Mu media.
1) I believed that this media would last for 24 hours. Not joy - Crisper Critter pump.
2) When I now observe particulate matter in the tank watter or otherwise least impurity I employ the above stated lamination and change the media every 12 hours.