Do you use Carbon in community tank?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Freshwater Aquarium Equipment » Do you use Carbon in community tank?

Do you use Carbon in community tank?

This is a discussion on Do you use Carbon in community tank? within the Freshwater Aquarium Equipment forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> I come from the Discus world and we do not advocate the use of carbon in our filters as it takes out nutrients needed ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Do you use Carbon in community tank?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #1
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Do you use Carbon in community tank?

I come from the Discus world and we do not advocate the use of carbon in our filters as it takes out nutrients needed in the water. Also it is believed that carbon contributes to HITH. We do use carbon for 24 hours after hitting the tank with meds after the treatment ~ to take out the medications.

I have never used carbon otherwise. Is it necessary for a community tank? I am getting ready to turn my 125 gallon tank into one!
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
I don't use carbon in any of my tanks. All my tanks are planted and as you say, carbon sucks all the nutrients out of the water that the plants need.
Just curious, why not another Discus tank?? Been there, done that??
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I don't use carbon in any of my tanks. All my tanks are planted and as you say, carbon sucks all the nutrients out of the water that the plants need.
Just curious, why not another Discus tank?? Been there, done that??


Ya know. I so thought about. I love that fish! I raised these guys from quarter size ~ they require a lot of work, and daily water changes at least the first 6 months, IMO.

But....I just don't know! lol! I am so glad to hear you don't use carbon!




SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
zof
 
zof's Avatar
 
Planted tank here to so I don't use carbon, carbon to me just seems like a stop gap measure for the lazy fish keeper, hence why all new HOB filters come with it. To me its just there to help cover neglect and negligence.
zof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
From a quarter size? Nice work. After all those multiple feedings and water changes no wonder you're think about doing something different!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
 
jeaninel's Avatar
 
No carbon here also. Just use it to remove meds when needed.

Your discus were gorgeous. They are hard work but it looks like it paid off.

edit: I just noticed you are in Sac. I'm just south of you in Galt. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #7
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
. After all those multiple feedings and water changes no wonder you're think about doing something different!

Ya think? You have no idea! I am a discus pro, I will admit. But they are so much work ~ all my discus I got store credit of $700 ~ I cried for days. Had bad dreams. Can barely look at this picture ~ it is only fish only fish! That is how I was able to move to Fronts and my 125 gallon from that 55gal.
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel View Post
No carbon here also. Just use it to remove meds when needed.

Your discus were gorgeous. They are hard work but it looks like it paid off.

edit: I just noticed you are in Sac. I'm just south of you in Galt. Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Thank you! Galt?? Seriously? How cool is that!! You are what, 20, 30 min from Sac!

We should meet, woman!
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
 
SweetPoison's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zof View Post
Planted tank here to so I don't use carbon, carbon to me just seems like a stop gap measure for the lazy fish keeper, hence why all new HOB filters come with it. To me its just there to help cover neglect and negligence.
You're funny!
SweetPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
 
bearwithfish's Avatar
 
i dont keep discus but i have not used carbon in any fresh water tanks in over a year and a half and to be honest i like the tanks better with out it... (i used it briefly in a salt set up but learned fast that was not a good idea either LOL)
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Activated Carbon In A Planted Tank? MrWynO14 Beginner Planted Aquarium 21 06-16-2010 07:02 PM
Carbon in a planted tank Trio123 Beginner Planted Aquarium 1 07-09-2008 09:12 AM
Carbon From Filter In Tank---Dangerous? rae3988 Tropical Fish Diseases 2 04-01-2008 06:02 PM
Active Carbon and Filter Carbon? Robnjo Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 1 05-26-2007 12:05 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.