Cheap carbon pads for eheim classic - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Cheap carbon pads for eheim classic

Just curious if anyone had tips for getting cheaper carbon pads for this filter. Did you buy bulk, square pads, and cut them down? Thanks.
eli2k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2k View Post
Just curious if anyone had tips for getting cheaper carbon pads for this filter. Did you buy bulk, square pads, and cut them down? Thanks.
Carbon such as that found in cartridges, pads ,given no more than is there..are only effective for maybe two week's, and then the carbon is way less effective.
Were it me,,I would purchase another of the coarse blue pads for the classic, and do away with the carbon altogether.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 09:14 AM
I think 1077 is being optimistic - carbon impregnated pads aren't effective very long at all. If you want to use carbon, use a fair amount (I like bagged activated carbon) and stick to regular pads or floss.

Also, if you use activated carbon, you really don't need it all the time...more like once a month or every other month or when the water is colored or smells.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2012, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I think 1077 is being optimistic - carbon impregnated pads aren't effective very long at all. If you want to use carbon, use a fair amount (I like bagged activated carbon) and stick to regular pads or floss.

Also, if you use activated carbon, you really don't need it all the time...more like once a month or every other month or when the water is colored or smells.
I see. In the old days when I had a hang-on-back filter, the pad you replaced consisted of coarse mesh filter and the activated carbon. I think I'll stick with the regular coarse/fine pads!
eli2k is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2k View Post
I see. In the old days when I had a hang-on-back filter, the pad you replaced consisted of coarse mesh filter and the activated carbon. I think I'll stick with the regular coarse/fine pads!
Even still today, many cartridge filters use pads that have a sprinkling of activated carbon inside. Frankly the volume of activated carbon in most of these is pointless in the average tank. Activated carbon adsorbs impurities and this ability is exhausted once the carbon fills with 'stuff'. A small amount of carbon isn't going to be effective for very long at all. So it's not that this small amount of carbon is bad...just that it's not very good. If you have this type of filter, the cartridge can be used for a very long time - basically until the filter mesh is falling apart....but the carbon was only effective for a week or so.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eheim Classic Canister Media question? Rowdy Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 8 05-14-2012 07:55 AM
Eheim Classic setup and Media zfarsh Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 06-02-2011 12:20 PM
recommended tank sizes for eheim classic beetlebz Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 05-08-2010 01:28 AM
Eheim Classic 2213 - URGENT gilfish Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 5 12-22-2007 09:38 AM
One more eheim question before I buy: Classic or Pro? lmeijer Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 03-12-2007 03:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome