Aquarium background gel - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Aquarium background gel

Quite some time ago someone wrote that they used petroleum jelly to adhere their background to the aquarium. I thought it would be such a mess.

Last week during the weekly water change I got a little reckless and some water got between the back wall and the background. The image stuck to the glass and it was an amazing difference - much brighter, much better.

Then I saw some backgrounds that came with an application gel....and then a product called Seaview Aquarium Background Mounting Solution....

Product Features
> Seals aquarium background for a flawless, illuminated view
> Easy to apply & remove
> Works on glass or acrylic tanks
> Non-toxic formula prevents condensation

Has anybody used this stuff or a product like it?

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` •...><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • .. . ¸ ><((((º>
AbbeysDad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
It is messy to put on but if done right it works amazingly well.

I have it on the back of my 75g background. You need to make absolutely sure there is nothing on the background before adding it, otherwise it will stick to it and show up.

I would recommend putting it on with newspaper on a flat surface, use a soft scraper (I used a rubber spatula) to remove air bubbles and smooth it down. You need complete access to the back of the tank while you use it though. It takes time to do it but it can be done with the tank nearly against a wall..best done with two people to keep the background tight while you put it on, if doing this way.

10g Fry / Hospital / QT tank (as needed)

75g Saltwater Reef, Ocellaris Clownfish, Lyretail Antias (baby), Lemon damsel, Longtail Fairy Wrasse, purple dottyback, snails, crabs and a few LPS corals.

220g Still sitting empty (come on Lottery I need the numbers to come up!)
Tazman is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
I would recommend putting it on with newspaper on a flat surface, use a soft scraper (I used a rubber spatula) to remove air bubbles and smooth it down.
Do you apply the gel to the background or the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
You need complete access to the back of the tank while you use it though. It takes time to do it but it can be done with the tank nearly against a wall..best done with two people to keep the background tight while you put it on, if doing this way.
Yea, this concerns me with the tank only about 4" from the wall in back and maybe 10" on one side. With the two foot height, spots might be real tough to reach.
The motivation is how much better I think it would look as right now you can barely see the detail and when the spot was wet it just popped.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` •...><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • .. . ¸ ><((((º>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 05-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Yea, this concerns me with the tank only about 4" from the wall in back and maybe 10" on one side. With the two foot height, spots might be real tough to reach.
The motivation is how much better I think it would look as right now you can barely see the detail and when the spot was wet it just popped.

This is where I ran into trouble. I still tried and I am sorry I did. It looks rough. I couldn't get it flat against the tank and all the bubbles out. I now have a smeary looking background. I am not going to try again as it could get even worse. Now, I just hide the poor job with plants.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi
Inga is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM
Member
 
rjordan390's Avatar
 
An office supply store might have something that fits the back of your tank. Something like heavy duty paperboard. Then attach your background to it, smoothing out any wrinkles and then mount it to the rear using cellophane tape. The tape may loosen over time but just apply more tape.

Last edited by rjordan390; 05-09-2012 at 07:56 AM.
rjordan390 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan390 View Post
An office supply store might have something that fits the back of your tank. Something like heavy duty paperboard. Then attach your background to it, smoothing out any wrinkles and then mount it to the rear using cellophane tape. The tape may loosen over time but just apply more tape.
I have a great background and it is applied with tape. The difference is that the gel makes the background more alive and vibrant since the image nearly becomes like part of the glass.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` •...><((((º>` • . ¸¸ . • ´` • . . . ¸><((((º>¸ . • ´` • .. . ¸ ><((((º>
AbbeysDad is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spectacular Aquarium Background dprUsh83 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 6 02-19-2009 04:45 AM
aquarium background skimmer247 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 2 08-28-2008 08:52 PM
aquarium background magnet alpine36 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 0 07-01-2008 01:17 PM
DIY Stylistic Aquarium Background SporadicStaticAddict DIY Aquarium 1 03-10-2007 08:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome