Breeding
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Advanced Freshwater Discussion » Fish Breeding » Breeding

Breeding

This is a discussion on Breeding within the Fish Breeding forums, part of the Advanced Freshwater Discussion category; --> Hi, I'm new here and have a few questions about breeding my fish. I have a 35 gallon hexagon tank, which is reason for ...

Reply
Old 11-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
 
Breeding

Hi, I'm new here and have a few questions about breeding my fish.

I have a 35 gallon hexagon tank, which is reason for my name. Heres the fish I have in it at the moment.

an albino tinfoil barb(around 4 inches)
two balloon mollies(1m/1f)(soon getting more, possibly)
an irridescent shark(also called Pangais Catfish)
a green common(aneus, sp?) cory cat
a red wag platy
an orange/red lyretail swordtail male
two gouramis

Firstly, I was wondering if the male balloon molly will actually cause her to die because of too much breeding, she doesnt look too stressed, but she hides sometimes.

I was also wondering, will the red wag be okay without a mate?

And now my real breeding questions...

1) Will having 1m/1f balloon mollies stress the female out untill she dies?

2) I have seen the variatus in the petstores near me, what is this fish a cross of? I read it somewhere on here... but I'm not sure. And if it is something I already have in my tank, which ones is it?

3) Should I invest in a cheap 5 gallon tank, and put my recently purchased molly(the female, lol) and whatever is a livebearer(thats in my tank) thats a female... I'm not sure what the red wag is yet... I havent had a chance to look.

4)What in my tank will eat the fry, like a major fry eater, not just 1 or 2 if its on the verge of starving(which will like... never ever happen to my fish)

5) Would petstores look into buying fish from someone not their usual supplier, if I offer them the fish for around 60% less than what they sell them to the public for?

6) If the fish thats pregnant has a disease, like Ich/Ick, will that be transferred to the fry?(none of my fish have it, but I once had a white molly, and 2 fry survuved, while the rest of the tank died, than around 2 weeks later the fry died)
hexxyjoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Re: Breeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexxyjoile
Firstly, I was wondering if the male balloon molly will actually cause her to die because of too much breeding, she doesnt look too stressed, but she hides sometimes.
The sex ratio is not appropriate. It is generally recommended to have 2-3 females per male in the case of livebearers as males tend not to give away their attention from the females.
Quote:
I was also wondering, will the red wag be okay without a mate?
Yes.
Quote:
1) Will having 1m/1f balloon mollies stress the female out untill she dies?
It will definitely stress her out.
Quote:
2) I have seen the variatus in the petstores near me, what is this fish a cross of? I read it somewhere on here... but I'm not sure. And if it is something I already have in my tank, which ones is it?
Xiphophorus maculatus and Xiphophorus helleri are able to cross resulting into Xiphophorus variatus.
Quote:
3) Should I invest in a cheap 5 gallon tank, and put my recently purchased molly(the female, lol) and whatever is a livebearer(thats in my tank) thats a female... I'm not sure what the red wag is yet... I havent had a chance to look.
Your red wagtail is a platy (Xiphophorus maculatus). You can invest for a 5g but I would suggest getting the biggest you can afford.:) Large tanks have more stable water conditions compared to smaller ones.
Quote:
4)What in my tank will eat the fry, like a major fry eater, not just 1 or 2 if its on the verge of starving(which will like... never ever happen to my fish)
All in your fish except the corydoras will eat the fry. Just for future reference, I would recommend reducing your stocklist. The tank is overstocked to be honest. Iridescent sharks can reach more than a foot and will cramped in a 35g. The same thing can be said with tinfoil barbs and these need company. A 150g will be the largest for 6 full-grown tinfoil barbs.

The rest are fine however. What species are your gouramis?:)

Quote:
5) Would petstores look into buying fish from someone not their usual supplier, if I offer them the fish for around 60% less than what they sell them to the public for?
I'd suggest looking into their policy though oftentimes, a lot of stores accept credit for the fish you sell to them.
Quote:
6) If the fish thats pregnant has a disease, like Ich/Ick, will that be transferred to the fry?(none of my fish have it, but I once had a white molly, and 2 fry survuved, while the rest of the tank died, than around 2 weeks later the fry died)
It will not be transferred depending on the disease but the female might eventually die from severe stress of dropping her fry and resisting diseases.

Your fry may have carried the ich parasites which render them incapable of being able to resist it. Fry are very vulnerable and will not live long easily once they contract diseases.

Welcome to Fishforum.com.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
 
Fish

Well... sadly all my platies died... I had 1 micky mouse who hasnt been really doing good since her buddy died... my red wag just started swimming funny before I left to go out to eat... It just started going in circles and stuff, like upside down... So were going to get the water tested at Petsmart when I get back from my dad's house, or whenever I can get my mom to take it, because I heard the drop tester things at petsmart arent reliable. I dont know why everythings dying so I'll post that in a different section. But my paradise gourami also died. So an updated tank list would include...

1 powder blue dwarf gourami
0 platies
2 balloon mollies(soon to be more, my orange sailfin type was breeding with the black female!)
1 cory cat
1 pleco(who i forgot to add before)
1 irridescent shark
1 tinfoil barb(albino)

We were planning on moving the tinfoil to one of the tanks at my moms work... because I read that they would get along cichlids, which is what they have in almost all those tanks.

The irridescent shark we were planning the same with, some of those tanks are an easy 200 gallons. Man I wish I had those in my house!
hexxyjoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breeding Mollies and Breeding Guppies? First time breeder.. friaxh Livebearers 3 01-23-2010 08:55 AM
Breeding 3863 Fish Breeding 1 11-24-2007 08:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.