Baby Pleco's Discovered - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Advanced Freshwater Discussion » Fish Breeding » Baby Pleco's Discovered

Baby Pleco's Discovered

This is a discussion on Baby Pleco's Discovered within the Fish Breeding forums, part of the Advanced Freshwater Discussion category; --> Originally Posted by beetlebz I request this thread be permanently deleted on the grounds that my wife will read it and want to setup ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Baby Pleco's Discovered
Old 01-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebz View Post
I request this thread be permanently deleted on the grounds that my wife will read it and want to setup a breeder for plecos. lol

Congrats on the freakin awesome fry. Not that ive ever had pleco babies, but I would think it wouldnt be TOO too long before they can live in the main tank, provided there isnt any voracious carnivores in there :)

LOL!!!

As a follow up to this post...
I placed the moonstone, fry, and daddy in a breeder trap and have the filter flow on it so that it gets constant filtered water. I read on another forum to remove the daddy and feed the fry by using a dropper and crushed algae wafer dissolved in water. I did this and overnight the daddy ABNP crawled over the net and back into the breeder trap! I could believe it - he had to at least climb an inch & a half out of the water! He's staying - It's a 55g with a few platy & mollies that will eat everything that moves. He continues to clean out and guard the cave.

FishHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
bbz i think you should get your wifey a set up of her own. !
I agree with Willow - I find that when my wife is happy the whole house seems to be happy
FishHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
 
beetlebz's Avatar
 
we have a 20 tall JUST for swordtail fry so she can breed them!! lol

Hey fishhed, did you have any warning at all that the plecos were doing any kind of mating ritual(s)? I suspect my LFS will buy pleco fry if we did breed them... NOOO! Nnooooooooooo now im doing it too
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #14
 
willow's Avatar
 
*subliminal message....you will get wifey another tank,because she is the best thing
since sliced bread and when you look into her eyes you will say,,why yes darling,sweetness,
oh love of my life.my reason for living,i will get you a tank straight away after i have made you a
cup of tea*
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow View Post
*subliminal message....you will get wifey another tank,because she is the best thing
since sliced bread and when you look into her eyes you will say,,why yes darling,sweetness,
oh love of my life.my reason for living,i will get you a tank straight away after i have made you a
cup of tea*
I second that one!!
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebz View Post
we have a 20 tall JUST for swordtail fry so she can breed them!! lol

Hey fishhed, did you have any warning at all that the plecos were doing any kind of mating ritual(s)? I suspect my LFS will buy pleco fry if we did breed them... NOOO! Nnooooooooooo now im doing it too
They would chase each other off an algae wafer, other than that no warning. I knew something was up when the male didn't leave the cave (moonstone) for days. I thought he was sick or injured - I picked the cave up and he still refused to leave it - that's when I noticed the fry.

Let me know how the breeding goes.
FishHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Can I ask....>? How do you tell the difference between the male and female?
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #18
 
Unless you have an extra tank set up and cycled I would just leave them in the main tank. They look to still be feeding on their yolk sacks but they will soon need feeding and once they start eating their waste will overwhelm any small container you put them in. In their very early days they will mostly hang out in the cave with dad. If you have algae wafers crush them up and mix them with water, then suck up the water in a turkey baster and squirt it in the cave.

sumi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
Can I ask....>? How do you tell the difference between the male and female?

The male guards the young & has the "bristles" on his face. Female has smooth face. Both plecos nose slope downward slightly.
FishHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumi12 View Post
Unless you have an extra tank set up and cycled I would just leave them in the main tank. They look to still be feeding on their yolk sacks but they will soon need feeding and once they start eating their waste will overwhelm any small container you put them in. In their very early days they will mostly hang out in the cave with dad. If you have algae wafers crush them up and mix them with water, then suck up the water in a turkey baster and squirt it in the cave.

Thanks- have them in a breeding net in the main tank. Some of them (about 5) venture out of the cave for a piece of cucumber and wafer I periodically drop in the net.
FishHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jawfish and Octopus association discovered Byron Off Topic Discussions 1 01-06-2012 04:25 PM
New Loricariids (pleco) discovered Byron Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 03-04-2011 05:58 PM
wood eating catfish discovered Byron Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 09-27-2010 08:00 PM
New Species of Fish Discovered! tmz Saltwater Journals 0 03-01-2009 07:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.