Baby Pleco's Discovered
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Advanced Freshwater Discussion » Fish Breeding » Baby Pleco's Discovered

Baby Pleco's Discovered

This is a discussion on Baby Pleco's Discovered within the Fish Breeding forums, part of the Advanced Freshwater Discussion category; --> I bought a "moonrock" (which is basically a small ceramic cave) from w@lmart awhile back. Noticed that my young albino bristle-nose pleco has been ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Baby Pleco's Discovered
Old 01-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
 
Baby Pleco's Discovered

I bought a "moonrock" (which is basically a small ceramic cave) from w@lmart awhile back. Noticed that my young albino bristle-nose pleco has been in there a week. Alive but not coming out. Closer notice I find a gang of pleco fry swimming around. I transferred moonrock, babies and daddy to a guppy net.

What do I do now??? How long until I must transfer to a larger tank? I don't want them to be lunch, and I cannot house (provided they live) this many plecos long term.

Thanks!







Water Temp = 79 F
PH = 7
all else zeros.
FishHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Unless you have an extra tank set up and cycled I would just leave them in the main tank. They look to still be feeding on their yolk sacks but they will soon need feeding and once they start eating their waste will overwhelm any small container you put them in. In their very early days they will mostly hang out in the cave with dad. If you have algae wafers crush them up and mix them with water, then suck up the water in a turkey baster and squirt it in the cave.

Depending on the size of your current tank you will probably need to get something ready to put them in once they get a little bigger.
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Wow Amazing!! Congratulations!!
Is that them all at their dad's tail area in the top picture>? It's hard to tell on the marble under the dish. Can see them inside the cave tho. Very cool!!
SeaHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Awww! How fun! They are all so cute. That is the dad, and he himself is so small??? Hasn't he gotten the talk about having babies to young :)

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
Awww! How fun! They are all so cute. That is the dad, and he himself is so small??? Hasn't he gotten the talk about having babies to young :)

Gwen

Thanks Gwen - thats why I put the quarter there. I think that pleco is 6 months old. Babies having babies....it's a Jerry Springer world out here!
FishHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
Wow Amazing!! Congratulations!!
Is that them all at their dad's tail area in the top picture>? It's hard to tell on the marble under the dish. Can see them inside the cave tho. Very cool!!
Thats the marble. all fry are in the moonrock!
FishHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax84 View Post
Unless you have an extra tank set up and cycled I would just leave them in the main tank. They look to still be feeding on their yolk sacks but they will soon need feeding and once they start eating their waste will overwhelm any small container you put them in. In their very early days they will mostly hang out in the cave with dad. If you have algae wafers crush them up and mix them with water, then suck up the water in a turkey baster and squirt it in the cave.

Depending on the size of your current tank you will probably need to get something ready to put them in once they get a little bigger.
In a guppy net within a 55g. Moonrock, fry, & daddy. Maybe I could purchase and set up a 5 g until they are ready for adoption?
FishHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHed View Post
In a guppy net within a 55g. Moonrock, fry, & daddy. Maybe I could purchase and set up a 5 g until they are ready for adoption?
Make sure you are cleaning out the guppy net daily. Baby plecos are very sensitive to water conditions. What else is in your 55? As long as your tank isn't already overstocked you may be able to grow them out in the main tank. If you grow them out in separate tank it should be a 10gal.

Last edited by lorax84; 01-14-2012 at 03:47 PM..
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
 
beetlebz's Avatar
 
I request this thread be permanently deleted on the grounds that my wife will read it and want to setup a breeder for plecos. lol

Congrats on the freakin awesome fry. Not that ive ever had pleco babies, but I would think it wouldnt be TOO too long before they can live in the main tank, provided there isnt any voracious carnivores in there :)
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beetlebz For This Useful Post:
FishHed (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
 
willow's Avatar
 
bbz i think you should get your wifey a set up of her own. !
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jawfish and Octopus association discovered Byron Off Topic Discussions 1 01-06-2012 05:25 PM
New Loricariids (pleco) discovered Byron Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 03-04-2011 06:58 PM
wood eating catfish discovered Byron Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 09-27-2010 09:00 PM
New Species of Fish Discovered! tmz Saltwater Journals 0 03-01-2009 08:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 PM.