Baby Pleco's Discovered - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Baby Pleco's Discovered

I bought a "moonrock" (which is basically a small ceramic cave) from w@lmart awhile back. Noticed that my young albino bristle-nose pleco has been in there a week. Alive but not coming out. Closer notice I find a gang of pleco fry swimming around. I transferred moonrock, babies and daddy to a guppy net.

What do I do now??? How long until I must transfer to a larger tank? I don't want them to be lunch, and I cannot house (provided they live) this many plecos long term.

Thanks!







Water Temp = 79 F
PH = 7
all else zeros.
FishHed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Member
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Unless you have an extra tank set up and cycled I would just leave them in the main tank. They look to still be feeding on their yolk sacks but they will soon need feeding and once they start eating their waste will overwhelm any small container you put them in. In their very early days they will mostly hang out in the cave with dad. If you have algae wafers crush them up and mix them with water, then suck up the water in a turkey baster and squirt it in the cave.

Depending on the size of your current tank you will probably need to get something ready to put them in once they get a little bigger.
lorax84 is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 PM
TFK Moderator
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
Wow Amazing!! Congratulations!!
Is that them all at their dad's tail area in the top picture>? It's hard to tell on the marble under the dish. Can see them inside the cave tho. Very cool!!

Every kid, regardless of what they are going through, is ONE caring adult away from being a success story. ~ Josh Shipp, Teen Behavior Expert
SeaHorse is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Awww! How fun! They are all so cute. That is the dad, and he himself is so small??? Hasn't he gotten the talk about having babies to young :)

Gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
Awww! How fun! They are all so cute. That is the dad, and he himself is so small??? Hasn't he gotten the talk about having babies to young :)

Gwen

Thanks Gwen - thats why I put the quarter there. I think that pleco is 6 months old. Babies having babies....it's a Jerry Springer world out here!
FishHed is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
Wow Amazing!! Congratulations!!
Is that them all at their dad's tail area in the top picture>? It's hard to tell on the marble under the dish. Can see them inside the cave tho. Very cool!!
Thats the marble. all fry are in the moonrock!
FishHed is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 01-13-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax84 View Post
Unless you have an extra tank set up and cycled I would just leave them in the main tank. They look to still be feeding on their yolk sacks but they will soon need feeding and once they start eating their waste will overwhelm any small container you put them in. In their very early days they will mostly hang out in the cave with dad. If you have algae wafers crush them up and mix them with water, then suck up the water in a turkey baster and squirt it in the cave.

Depending on the size of your current tank you will probably need to get something ready to put them in once they get a little bigger.
In a guppy net within a 55g. Moonrock, fry, & daddy. Maybe I could purchase and set up a 5 g until they are ready for adoption?
FishHed is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 01-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Member
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHed View Post
In a guppy net within a 55g. Moonrock, fry, & daddy. Maybe I could purchase and set up a 5 g until they are ready for adoption?
Make sure you are cleaning out the guppy net daily. Baby plecos are very sensitive to water conditions. What else is in your 55? As long as your tank isn't already overstocked you may be able to grow them out in the main tank. If you grow them out in separate tank it should be a 10gal.

Last edited by lorax84; 01-14-2012 at 02:47 PM.
lorax84 is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Member
 
beetlebz's Avatar
 
I request this thread be permanently deleted on the grounds that my wife will read it and want to setup a breeder for plecos. lol

Congrats on the freakin awesome fry. Not that ive ever had pleco babies, but I would think it wouldnt be TOO too long before they can live in the main tank, provided there isnt any voracious carnivores in there :)

Dedicated, converted, lowes / home depot bulb buyer!
beetlebz is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to beetlebz For This Useful Post:
FishHed (01-18-2012)
post #10 of 24 Old 01-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Member
 
willow's Avatar
 
bbz i think you should get your wifey a set up of her own. !

when you set up a new tank,hide an extra
sponge or two behind some decor,that way you have
something seeded for you next filter.
willow is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jawfish and Octopus association discovered Byron Off Topic Discussions 1 01-06-2012 04:25 PM
New Loricariids (pleco) discovered Byron Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 03-04-2011 05:58 PM
wood eating catfish discovered Byron Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 09-27-2010 08:00 PM
New Species of Fish Discovered! tmz Saltwater Journals 0 03-01-2009 07:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome