Sealants that are safe to use? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » TFK Resources » DIY Aquarium » Sealants that are safe to use?

Sealants that are safe to use?

This is a discussion on Sealants that are safe to use? within the DIY Aquarium forums, part of the TFK Resources category; --> Originally Posted by Boredomb I went to the store earlier and saw that product and was wondering the same thing...... I think I might ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Sealants that are safe to use?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
I went to the store earlier and saw that product and was wondering the same thing...... I think I might call and find out if no one knows for sure?
Someone already has...either on this forum or another (cant remember), krylon sent an email back stating that they are not liable if anything happens, and that they have not tested for under water/aquarium use...but still plenty of people use it.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Someone already has...either on this forum or another (cant remember), krylon sent an email back stating that they are not liable if anything happens, and that they have not tested for under water/aquarium use...but still plenty of people use it.
On the Clear Acrylic or just on their products period? If plenty of ppl use the acrylic to seal things (and not to sound mean here) why are you asking what to use and not using that? I haven't seen anyone who has stated using this product but have on the polyurethane so might see if I can find that.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Simple, never thought about painting anything in an aquarium before, so when I came across the idea, I just want to make sure I do not harm my fish ortw other live stock I have in there. You hve never seen people mention Krylon Fusion on here?
Posted via Mobile Device
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
I have had a DIY overflow in my 75g tank for 4 years with no fish deaths or anything leeching into the tank. It is sprayed with Krylon Fusion that I let sit for a month before adding it to the tank, wanted to make sure everything had gassed off and it was safe.

I have a friend who is a Marine Biologist and she ran a barrage of tests on my tank water, way way beyond what we have access to test for. There was a 0.01 % occurrence of Titanium Dioxide and Xylene (both products used in the manufacture of Krylon Fusion) detected in the tank. It was actually less than the 0.04% which was found coming off a store bought fake driftwood painted in skin tone Brown...just for thoughts. The test was conducted before the DIY overflow ever touched tank water.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Simple, never thought about painting anything in an aquarium before, so when I came across the idea, I just want to make sure I do not harm my fish ortw other live stock I have in there. You hve never seen people mention Krylon Fusion on here?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes I have heard of ppl using the Krylon Fusion paints before but am looking at the clear products such as the acrylic or the polyurethane. I understand your concern about not harming the fish which why I am asking about the these products
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
I have had a DIY overflow in my 75g tank for 4 years with no fish deaths or anything leeching into the tank. It is sprayed with Krylon Fusion that I let sit for a month before adding it to the tank, wanted to make sure everything had gassed off and it was safe.

I have a friend who is a Marine Biologist and she ran a barrage of tests on my tank water, way way beyond what we have access to test for. There was a 0.01 % occurrence of Titanium Dioxide and Xylene (both products used in the manufacture of Krylon Fusion) detected in the tank. It was actually less than the 0.04% which was found coming off a store bought fake driftwood painted in skin tone Brown...just for thoughts. The test was conducted before the DIY overflow ever touched tank water.
Thanks Tazman for this info that makes me feel better about using the Fusion line if I go to paint something..
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
I went ahead and painted some of the pieces today with krylon fusion satin and brown, they look good, and not too shiney. Didnt paint a heavy coat or even multiple coats, just one light coat. Will give it some time to gas out and cure.
Posted via Mobile Device
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help With Sealants YellowYoshi398 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 05-16-2010 12:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.