New Fish Store need help and oppinions - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
I might leave enough space above tanks to mount eight foot T8 bulbs(shop lights) to frame of racks built.
Bulbs would in this way, cover several tanks and save you some money as opposed to lighting each tank with it's own light.(less clutter)

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I might leave enough space above tanks to mount eight foot T8 bulbs(shop lights) to frame of racks built.
Bulbs would in this way, cover several tanks and save you some money as opposed to lighting each tank with it's own light.(less clutter)
Thanks ok but what about the colours?
migdem is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by migdem View Post
Thanks ok but what about the colours?
My fish look better under 8000 K bulbs as opposed to 6000 K bulbs that make everything too yellow looking for me.
Fish could prolly care less what color bulbs I use but plant's seem to do better for me, with the 8000 k bulbs which have more red,blue light spectrum color.
I have some fish that have never expierienced a lighted tank from use of bulbs but instead,receive ambient light from the room or window.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I see thank you.

Does someone use a quick cure when stocks come in the shop? so that no ich will outbreaks? If yes what actually do you use?
migdem is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
I have heard good things about Seachem's Paragaurd.
Have watched employees from Petco acclimate fish received, and much of their procedure is floating the bags for twenty to forty minutes or longer,,and then dumping the bags and fish into the tanks.
They would in my view lose fewer fish if they added some tank water to the bags at five minute interval's and then when bags are near full,, net the fish out and dispose of water and bags.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Member
 
QT the fish when you get them. i've seen stores that have big tanks in the back room where they put fish that just came in. it means you have the fish on hand longer, which has more costs, but will also mean healthier fish and thus fewer returns/deaths in your tanks.

**I freely admit that most of the information I share I have learned from other people on this forum and am simply repeating. I thank you for sharing your knowledge and ask that if I say anything incorrect someone will kindly correct me**
KendraMc is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendraMc View Post
QT the fish when you get them. i've seen stores that have big tanks in the back room where they put fish that just came in. it means you have the fish on hand longer, which has more costs, but will also mean healthier fish and thus fewer returns/deaths in your tanks.
It is kind of impossible to do that since the store will be small not big enough. Also different fish requires different water parameters.
migdem is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Reference Team
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
bulbs

yeah i agree about the kelvin ratings but at the shop and at home i use the 6500 kelvins 4 foot lights as they look good ,give some of the best plant growth, and are the cheapest way to go byjust driving to a hardware store.corner filters,sponge filters, or air lift filters all work well and are cheap.oh and quik cure is a great product to preventatively treat fish.and to treat. half dose the new arivals.

...........
badxgillen is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 03:55 PM
zof
Member
 
zof's Avatar
 
Use drip acclimation, that way you can set a bunch to acclimate with out having to constantly add water, just set it then an hour later come back and scoop the fish into the tanks.

Just remember by using in tank filters now, you will save money up front, but one of your highest costs in any store is labor, if you think ahead now and spend a little more you can save yourself a ton down the road, from having to bring in other employees to keep up on the maintenance, plus the extra cost of running all the individual heaters and filters. Theres a good reason 90% of retail shops run sump systems on their tanks.

Also keeping the room temp high would work for a breeder but when you are trying to sell to in store customers its best to keep them comfortable so they don't walk out because the environment is too hot.

Also instead of building your own tank setups keep an eye on classifieds and other post sites for people selling the retail setups from closed shops, it will save you a ton of money and might look a bit better(its best if you start this way ahead of time so you have time to collect and find the amount you will need).
zof is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zof View Post
Use drip acclimation, that way you can set a bunch to acclimate with out having to constantly add water, just set it then an hour later come back and scoop the fish into the tanks.

Just remember by using in tank filters now, you will save money up front, but one of your highest costs in any store is labor, if you think ahead now and spend a little more you can save yourself a ton down the road, from having to bring in other employees to keep up on the maintenance, plus the extra cost of running all the individual heaters and filters. Theres a good reason 90% of retail shops run sump systems on their tanks.

Also keeping the room temp high would work for a breeder but when you are trying to sell to in store customers its best to keep them comfortable so they don't walk out because the environment is too hot.

Also instead of building your own tank setups keep an eye on classifieds and other post sites for people selling the retail setups from closed shops, it will save you a ton of money and might look a bit better(its best if you start this way ahead of time so you have time to collect and find the amount you will need).
I cannot do the classifieds because I have specific size on the aquarium and since I live in a small country it is hard to find second hands the size I want them.
migdem is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fish Store cheerfulmelody Freshwater and Tropical Fish 13 09-28-2010 07:35 PM
rambling idea... oppinions please bearwithfish DIY Aquarium 4 10-22-2009 10:05 AM
Overstocked?? Oppinions please! It'sJames Freshwater and Tropical Fish 12 06-02-2008 06:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome