Aquarium stand - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Aquarium stand

So I am almost done with my aquarium stand that I am building for my 55 gallon tank, all I have left is to put the paneling on and stain it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 251514_437704262947761_142737696_n.jpg (64.3 KB, 75 views)
shireelf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shireelf View Post
So I am almost done with my aquarium stand that I am building for my 55 gallon tank, all I have left is to put the paneling on and stain it.
Please tell me you are going to seal it.
bdgiese90 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 09-05-2012, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Oh that's a great idea!!!! Thank you!
shireelf is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 AM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shireelf View Post
Oh that's a great idea!!!! Thank you!
It's more of a requirement than an idea. From the look of it, you built the stand out of pine. If that stand gets wet its going to warp. The severity will depend on how wet it gets, but I would never take the chance of my stand collapsing or tipping.
bdgiese90 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgiese90 View Post
It's more of a requirement than an idea. From the look of it, you built the stand out of pine. If that stand gets wet its going to warp. The severity will depend on how wet it gets, but I would never take the chance of my stand collapsing or tipping.
2"x4" and 2"x6" and very well braced. I'd say with paneling to cross brace it and sealed it would last forever.
Much better than my effort.
cwmorrow is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
It is made with all 2x6, this thing is heavy. You can't see under the top but it is braced just like the bottom. I went to Lowes today and found a wonderful mahogany stain. I plan to use a glossy sealer on it, my husband said that I can put several coats of the sealer on it to insure that it will be water proof. I'll post pictures of it when its all done.
shireelf is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 05:02 PM
New Member
 
You might actually be better off to use wood oil instead of sealing it. It will allow the wood to breathe rather than crack when it can't. Oil will repel water as long as you oil it deep and throw a coat on every few years
Posted via Mobile Device
bdgiese90 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shireelf View Post
It is made with all 2x6, this thing is heavy.
My apologies. The perspective made me think the bottom rail was 2"x4".
cwmorrow is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
I can see that. When I took the picture I had the camera at a weird angle because I was trying to keep the two bags of trash in the background out of the picture.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmorrow View Post
My apologies. The perspective made me think the bottom rail was 2"x4".
shireelf is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 09-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shireelf View Post
I can see that. When I took the picture I had the camera at a weird angle because I was trying to keep the two bags of trash in the background out of the picture.
But you got the LOTR poster!

:)
cwmorrow is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I make my own aquarium stand? eaturbyfill DIY Aquarium 2 07-09-2012 11:18 PM
125 Gallon Aquarium Stand Geomancer DIY Aquarium 7 03-12-2012 01:56 PM
My Aquarium Stand RandallW20 Freshwater Journals 6 02-20-2009 07:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome