04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
| || |
I added the airstones for a failed attempt at a "Moving Bed Filter" . I cut up about 400 straws into 1" pieces and had water fall down on them and air lift them...didn't work...all the straws packed against the walls and only a handful actually moved...even varying the amount of straws failed (design flaw). The water-filled pipe is unable to fail as far as it is not blocked. It can be lifted completely out of the water as long as it is level it maintains the water inside(it's a U tube with a U on each end...P-Trap). The Wad is to stop all the dirt getting sucked up into the pumps. As for the plants, I dislike alot of live plants in the main display due to the fact that fish pick on them and they quickly can become a hassle to maintain there. The plants main purpose for me is to filter phosphates and Nitrates.
I agree on drilling the tanks. I didn't have much time for the project and it is very heavy to move by yourself so I have somewhat gotten stuck with what I have...I am thinking of a new design, just ordered 21 Red Mangroves from Hawaii :P
I have no come up with a new design that is even crazier then this one...I will post it when I complete the drawing.
Last edited by Billy123; 04-28-2009 at 03:06 PM..
Reason: added a picture of Water-filled pipe