1 Stand 2 Tanks? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » TFK Resources » DIY Aquarium » 1 Stand 2 Tanks?

1 Stand 2 Tanks?

This is a discussion on 1 Stand 2 Tanks? within the DIY Aquarium forums, part of the TFK Resources category; --> Ahhh screw it before I mess around like that with the stand adding braces on the sides etc....I'll just build a stand matching the ...

Reply
Old 04-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Ahhh screw it before I mess around like that with the stand adding braces on the sides etc....I'll just build a stand matching the one I build for the 55g that also sits in my office that was its all 1 look and it WILL def going to hold both 10g's (since the way I build them was already "overkill" for the 55g so I was told by a carpenter). Rather safe then sorry and I can still use the cute metal stand outside on the porch for plants; that'll be all safer in the end this way
Thank guys for the ideas!!!!
Angel079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
 
If my math is right, the max shear stress on your 10x1 inch piece of wood is 4 psi. The shear strength of oak varies by species, but even the weakest is around 1400 psi. I don't think it'll deflect much since the loading is constant, so figuring the tensile and compressive loads seems fairly useless. Jump up and down on it and see what happens. Probably nothing.

I guess it makes sense, a 10 gallon tank only holds 83 lb of water. Two inches of sand adds about 23 pounds, so a little over 100. 200 pounds isn't much for a board that size.
toddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
If my math is right, the max shear stress on your 10x1 inch piece of wood is 4 psi. The shear strength of oak varies by species, but even the weakest is around 1400 psi. I don't think it'll deflect much since the loading is constant, so figuring the tensile and compressive loads seems fairly useless. Jump up and down on it and see what happens. Probably nothing.

I guess it makes sense, a 10 gallon tank only holds 83 lb of water. Two inches of sand adds about 23 pounds, so a little over 100. 200 pounds isn't much for a board that size.
I guess I should have figured out the bending too, since in the middle your safety factor runs around 3.3 (cross grain) to 25 (with grain), which is more of a limiting factor.
toddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
 
And while you are doing all that figuring don't foget to factor in excessive moisture and possible spillage. To many variables to chance it if it was me.

I also saw on another forum this young man's 65 gallon tank on a low coffee table with 12" hanging over on each end. It was resting on piece of 1/2" plywood and he said it had been like that for years. So who knows.
JMILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #15
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
If my math is right, the max shear stress on your 10x1 inch piece of wood is 4 psi. The shear strength of oak varies by species, but even the weakest is around 1400 psi. I don't think it'll deflect much since the loading is constant, so figuring the tensile and compressive loads seems fairly useless. Jump up and down on it and see what happens. Probably nothing.

I guess it makes sense, a 10 gallon tank only holds 83 lb of water. Two inches of sand adds about 23 pounds, so a little over 100. 200 pounds isn't much for a board that size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmc View Post
I guess I should have figured out the bending too, since in the middle your safety factor runs around 3.3 (cross grain) to 25 (with grain), which is more of a limiting factor.
Uhm yea sure I fully understand what ya'll are talking bout now I just rather built another big & stable one like I did for the 55g rather safe then sorry with that kinda stuff and since I'm too small I always have hubby test "sit" on my stands to be sure it'll hold the tank
Angel079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #16
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMILLER View Post
To many variables to chance it if it was me.
Exactly!!!!
Angel079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #17
 
LisaC144's Avatar
 
I agree with building your own. You're quite the handy woman you know!
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #18
 
Angel079's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaC144 View Post
I agree with building your own. You're quite the handy woman you know!
No not really just very simple no details added kinda stands...It'll be the same then the 55g stand....I think you seen pictures of it hadn't you? Spoot on here seen my stand live and he liked it well so that's a plus that they ain't too ugly
Angel079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #19
 
spoot's Avatar
 
I haven't told you this yet, but when I get my 75 or 40 breeder, we're going to make me one of those for it. =D
Posted via Mobile Device
spoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stand? Little-Fizz Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 10-05-2008 07:11 PM
DIY Stand for a 120 and a 55 tophat665 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 5 04-28-2008 02:20 PM
diy stand? trreherd Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 5 12-10-2006 01:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.