Tinfoil barb compatibility - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Question Tinfoil barb compatibility

I currently have four Tinfoil barbs and two Zebra loaches. They seem to getting along very well.

Can you please comment on the compatibility of my tank residents with a school of -

1. Red Zebra Danios
I found a couple of charts saying this should be okay. I find this very surprising.
2. Dogtooth Cichilids
3. Tiger Barbs - I guess this one should be okay.

Many thanks!
arunsai is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Reference Team
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
tin foils

as you probably know tin foils get rather large 10-12 inches and are a rather active fish...asuming you have housing for them..some good tank mates are bala sharks or iridecent sharks, i have seen distacodis work as well as T barbs...pink tailed chalcius...large synadontis species, large clown loaches, geophagus species...just to name a few..keep us posted...

...........
badxgillen is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Yes, we need to know your tank size. The true Tinfoil Barb attains 14 inches and must be in a group of 6, which means at least a 200g tank. The Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb attains 8 inches, also needs a group of 6+, and will manage in a 150g tank; this species is the one often seen as "Tinfoil" in stores. Both fish are included in our fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar or click on the shaded name in posts.

Tiger Barb have their own issues, also mentioned in the profile of this fish.

I would forget those "charts," they cannot possibly take into account all aspects of a fish species.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
One more thing to add: loaches require a group of their own kind in order to be comfortable and thrive. IMHO no less than five of any one species of loach is what I consider the minimum to be when keeping these species.

Welcome to TFK! We are happy you decided to join us!

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
One more thing to add: loaches require a group of their own kind in order to be comfortable and thrive. IMHO no less than five of any one species of loach is what I consider the minimum to be when keeping these species.

Welcome to TFK! We are happy you decided to join us!
Thanks kymmie, I had overlooked the loaches.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Reference Team
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
fish

sorry ...i was just suggesting some fishes ....not there care requirments...always check out the profiles as usual...research goes a long way..

...........
badxgillen is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Thanks kymmie, I had overlooked the loaches.
Well, it's not often when you leave me something to comment on!

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Guess I should have asked this first. I have to confess I did not do any research before I got these fish. Infact I'm still not entirely sure if these are indeed Tinfoil barb. Can you please help? (Please see the video I've uploaded).

My tank is 46gallons which is realize is not big enough if these are indeed Tinfoils and end up growing to 10", but guess I'll still have them for now and move them to a bigger setup if they get bigger. I presume they wont double in size in a couple of months.

And yes, I'll get a couple of more loaches :)
arunsai is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunsai View Post
Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Guess I should have asked this first. I have to confess I did not do any research before I got these fish. Infact I'm still not entirely sure if these are indeed Tinfoil barb. Can you please help? (Please see the video I've uploaded).

My tank is 46gallons which is realize is not big enough if these are indeed Tinfoils and end up growing to 10", but guess I'll still have them for now and move them to a bigger setup if they get bigger. I presume they wont double in size in a couple of months.

And yes, I'll get a couple of more loaches :)
They look like Tinfoil barbs to me. I don't think they double in size in a few months, at least in your tank I hope they don't! Feed sparingly.

More loaches? YAY!

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
They look like Tinfoil barbs to me. I don't think they double in size in a few months, at least in your tank I hope they don't! Feed sparingly.

More loaches? YAY!
Thank you. But would you be able to say which of the two species are these? ie Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb or Tinfoil Barbs? I'm hoping for the former!
arunsai is offline  
Reply

Tags
red zebra danio , tiger barb , tinfoil barb , zebra danio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
red-tail tinfoil barb? Little-Fizz Freshwater and Tropical Fish 6 11-29-2007 07:10 PM
Tinfoil Barb Blade Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 11-10-2007 06:26 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome