Red Tailed Shark Minimum Tank Size
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cyprinids and Atherinids » Red Tailed Shark Minimum Tank Size

Red Tailed Shark Minimum Tank Size

This is a discussion on Red Tailed Shark Minimum Tank Size within the Cyprinids and Atherinids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> I see on the profile that the minimum tank size for a RTS is 48". I was wondering if one could like comfortably in ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Harlequin Rasbora
Harlequin Rasbora
Angelicus Loach
Angelicus Loach
Like Tree3Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Red Tailed Shark Minimum Tank Size
Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Red Tailed Shark Minimum Tank Size

I see on the profile that the minimum tank size for a RTS is 48". I was wondering if one could like comfortably in a 36" 35 gallon tank if he was the only fish in the tank? Or is it just too cramped?
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
I see on the profile that the minimum tank size for a RTS is 48". I was wondering if one could like comfortably in a 36" 35 gallon tank if he was the only fish in the tank? Or is it just too cramped?
At the risk of being bombarded with disagreement, that tank is fine and you don't have to limit it to the shark. RTS are grazers and inspectors. They don't swim the tank from end to end incessantly. You can add appropriate tank mates to a rate that is healthy for the capacity of the tank. I purchased a tiny RTS and put him in a 30 gallon community tank. Less than a year later, he has reached full size and is flourishing.
fish monger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
At the risk of being bombarded with disagreement, that tank is fine and you don't have to limit it to the shark. RTS are grazers and inspectors. They don't swim the tank from end to end incessantly. You can add appropriate tank mates to a rate that is healthy for the capacity of the tank. I purchased a tiny RTS and put him in a 30 gallon community tank. Less than a year later, he has reached full size and is flourishing.
I don't mind keeping him alone, I have other tanks for other fish. I have read that some RTS get ornery as they age, and I wouldn't want him harassing the other fish to death. I hear it is hit and miss and some are more friendly.

The tank used to house a single ryukin goldfish so I'm used to it being understocked. I just need to redecorate it, add some driftwood and get a heater.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
 
Snappyarcher's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
I see on the profile that the minimum tank size for a RTS is 48". I was wondering if one could like comfortably in a 36" 35 gallon tank if he was the only fish in the tank? Or is it just too cramped?
Can we just clarify.... Is it a red tailed shark? .... Or is it a red finned shark? The two are quite different.
If as you say it's the red tailed shark I would really suggest the 48 inch tank is the better option as this shark can be quite nippy and territorial!
Snappyarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappyarcher View Post
Can we just clarify.... Is it a red tailed shark? .... Or is it a red finned shark? The two are quite different.
If as you say it's the red tailed shark I would really suggest the 48 inch tank is the better option as this shark can be quite nippy and territorial!
Red Tailed Shark.

I realize they get nippy and territorial, and that is why a 48" tank is recommended.
What I'm asking is, if he is the only fish in the tank, and all the territory is his, and there is noone to get nippy with, then is 36" adequate?

Badman's says 36" is the minimum tank size, and I read on another site they need a yard (36") of their own territory.

When I read conflicting profiles I typically ask around for advice from people who have kept that species in similar circumstances.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
 
Snappyarcher's Avatar
 
I once had a conversation with an older chap who was one of the best aquarists I personally have even come across.... I asked him what the minimum tanks size was for a fish.... he reply: "Half a mile by half a mile by half a mile." What he was getting at was that the more space you can give any fish the better. But in this instance i would say that, given that the minimum size the fish is going to get to is between 6 and 8 inches, the 48 inches would... in my opinion be better.
Snappyarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
The Profile i think makes it fairly clear why space is needed for this fish. A five-inch territorial fish in a 36-inch space can obviously work, but our aim should be not to just have fish "manage" but provide the best.

I have a 3-foot tank, and a couple 4-foot tanks. I cannot visualize this fish in my 3-foot, there would be so many risks. The tankmates will need more space too, another consideration with this cyprinid.

Last edited by Byron; 09-23-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Again, I don't want any tankmates. There won't be any territorial issues (I assume) because he will be the only fish in the tank, and all the territory will be his. I wouldn't cram another fish in there with him, I wouldn't even put an RTS in my 4 foot tanks because of the other fish.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Fish View Post
Again, I don't want any tankmates. There won't be any territorial issues (I assume) because he will be the only fish in the tank, and all the territory will be his. I wouldn't cram another fish in there with him, I wouldn't even put an RTS in my 4 foot tanks because of the other fish.
That is a very different issue. My apology if this was said earlier and I somehow missed it. A 3-foot tank with a sand or fine gravel substrate, and several chunks of wood, and plants, would make a nice habitat for a single Red Tailed Shark.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
 
Canadian Fish's Avatar
 
Nice! I just need to redecorate the tank and get a heater. It used to house a ryukin goldfish.

Definitely want some plants and driftwood in there.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bala shark minimum tank size? 1stAquarium Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 04-07-2010 04:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.