Which illness? Tiger barb sick... help please
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cyprinids and Atherinids » Which illness? Tiger barb sick... help please

Which illness? Tiger barb sick... help please

This is a discussion on Which illness? Tiger barb sick... help please within the Cyprinids and Atherinids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Ladder Loach
Ladder Loach
Hillstream Loach
Hillstream Loach
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Which illness? Tiger barb sick... help please
Old 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
 
ozakiakemi's Avatar
 
Which illness? Tiger barb sick... help please

10 gallon
1 Tiger Barb
1 Albine Tiger Barb
1 gold barb
1 gourami
2 goupies
4 ghost shrimps

72 F
Automatic Thermoter Tetra

Filter aqueon (Came with the tank)
I have the tank per 2 months and I have changed the filter once. ( I don't think that was a bright move change it)




My Tiger Barb appeared with a white thing in his mouth 3 days ago and is growing and diminishing. I'm really confused and afraid for him. I have some pictures of him, so perhaps one of you know what's going one with him and have any suggestions on what should I do to make him better, and what could it be what is going on with him.

If you cannot see the pictures, I uploaded them in my profile.

Please help... I really like my little guy...


The Nitrites lvls in the aquarium are very high right now. I have tested everyday the water and have been changing 1-3 gallons of water. Everything else is normal in the aquarium.

We have 1 screw bulb, 2 LCD white and 2 LCD blue as light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fish illness 015.jpg (96.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Fish illness 010.jpg (89.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by ozakiakemi; 02-02-2011 at 10:55 PM..
ozakiakemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
hi there!!!

okay lets get to the point. you need to do a 50% water change and monitor your tank's parameters if you want your fish to survive. I would try to establish a quarentine(sp) tank and get that little guy out of there before more get infected. Do you have air stones? if not go get some air stones from the store this should help with oxygen as nitrites have to do with levels of oxygen. If I where you I would google any question I had it usually answers it. Dont stop asking questions the health and well-being of your little fishies depends on it anything that you get resolved can make a huge difference.

I hope you figure out whats going on someone had thesame problem before and by the time he found his answers it was too late :(

remember if the nitrites or ammonia get high do a 50% water change( dont forget declorinator)

GOOD LUCK!!!
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
ALSO, that aqueon filter, try to get a filter from Marineland it has a BIO-wheel and it has a very clever design that makes sure your water is always passing thru the cartridge. I used to have an aqueon and the water would overflow and skip the cartridge after it got a little bit dirty. Definitely exchange that filter it will help you in the long run!!

again good luck with your situation!!!

Last edited by leogtr; 02-03-2011 at 12:02 AM..
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leogtr For This Useful Post:
ozakiakemi (02-03-2011)
Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
 
ozakiakemi's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
ALSO, that aqueon filter, try to get a filter from Marineland it has a BIO-wheel and it has a very clever design that makes sure your water is always passing thru the cartridge. I used to have an aqueon and the water would overflow and skip the cartridge after it got a little bit dirty. Definitely exchange that filter it will help you in the long run!!

again good luck with your situation!!!
Thank you for your help, I have seen in my other fish the albine, some signs of the same problem. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a hospital tank to put him there and the albine. But I still need to figure it out his sickness.
ozakiakemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozakiakemi View Post
Thank you for your help, I have seen in my other fish the albine, some signs of the same problem. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a hospital tank to put him there and the albine. But I still need to figure it out his sickness.
your 10 gallon tank has a bit too many fish...would you want to purchase a 20 gallon in the near future? It most certainly would help!
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 AM   #6
 
ozakiakemi's Avatar
 
You right, we are planing on getting 125 gallon or bigger. We are still deciding.
ozakiakemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
 
ozakiakemi's Avatar
 
yeihhh!

He is getting better by himself! As the nitrites in the water are getting better, he is getting better. I bought a hospital aquarium for him that is actually bigger than my actual aquarium right now. I paid 15 bucks per a 20 gallon with pump and light, so I will be transferring the other fish to the new tank and living him in the 10 gallon, so I can treat him. I bought a tablet from API for all fungus to put in the aquarium when he is alone. :D
I'm really happy, he still have some trouble eating but he will be fine, I think... :D
ozakiakemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozakiakemi View Post
yeihhh!

He is getting better by himself! As the nitrites in the water are getting better, he is getting better. I bought a hospital aquarium for him that is actually bigger than my actual aquarium right now. I paid 15 bucks per a 20 gallon with pump and light, so I will be transferring the other fish to the new tank and living him in the 10 gallon, so I can treat him. I bought a tablet from API for all fungus to put in the aquarium when he is alone. :D
I'm really happy, he still have some trouble eating but he will be fine, I think... :D
great to hear that!!! remember those water changes it really does bring them alot of relief:)

Last edited by leogtr; 02-05-2011 at 02:22 PM..
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
 
ozakiakemi's Avatar
 
Guys, I'm sad to inform the fungus died and with it my tiger barb.
ozakiakemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tiger Barb Help! Snowflake117 Tropical Fish Diseases 6 02-03-2011 12:34 AM
Help Sick Tiger Barb jimmyhoye Cyprinids and Atherinids 1 12-28-2008 08:08 PM
Tiger Barb Help! Snowflake117 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 1 12-29-2007 04:09 AM
is my tiger barb sick? kat1103 Tropical Fish Diseases 10 04-22-2007 11:57 AM
Where to put my tiger barb? RazorDX Cyprinids and Atherinids 7 11-08-2006 01:08 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.