Goldfish questions!
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cyprinids and Atherinids » Goldfish questions!

Goldfish questions!

This is a discussion on Goldfish questions! within the Cyprinids and Atherinids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Should one actually do this? YouTube - goldfish punch oranda I saw this video and I was awestrucked. Is it possible to have a ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Mosquito Rasbora
Mosquito Rasbora
Hillstream Loach
Hillstream Loach
Reply
Old 07-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Goldfish questions!

Should one actually do this? YouTube - goldfish punch oranda
I saw this video and I was awestrucked. Is it possible to have a bond like that with a fish?
Deku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Handling your fish will damage their slime coats. I don't see bonding in that video clip; I see man-handling. Not advisable.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
I am speechless.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:13 AM   #4
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
I am speechless.
theres more videos like these o.O and they boast that you can handle them o.O like this womans goldfish actually follows her hand when its in there and if she doesnt get handled she rams into the glass. o.O
Deku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Is there any form to bond with a fish?
Deku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Btw >> your flickr pics are cute <3 -hugs- <3 ;o
Deku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
That video was going overboard, Deku. I would never handle a goldfish like that. A fish can be handled but do it gently, not roughly like the video showed. My goldfish like to nibble on my fingers but I would never go to the point of handling them roughly. Goldfish are intelligent creatures. Mine were able to recognize me and had my watonai and fantail not started approaching me immediately after I returned them to the 75g, the new comet and shub would still cower in the corner as they are still ridiculously shy but with the appearance of my old goldies, the new ones were able to join the fun and able to face me without panicking around. I bought my watonai and fantail last May and they had garnered at least 2 inches in size since I bought them and they were already attached to me.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
That video was going overboard, Deku. I would never handle a goldfish like that. A fish can be handled but do it gently, not roughly like the video showed. My goldfish like to nibble on my fingers but I would never go to the point of handling them roughly. Goldfish are intelligent creatures. Mine were able to recognize me and had my watonai and fantail not started approaching me immediately after I returned them to the 75g, the new comet and shub would still cower in the corner as they are still ridiculously shy but with the appearance of my old goldies, the new ones were able to join the fun and able to face me without panicking around. I bought my watonai and fantail last May and they had garnered at least 2 inches in size since I bought them and they were already attached to me.
o.o my friend showed me that. Sorry Dx iam sorry. Dx but if you can handle them. What do you mean gently? can you "massage" their bellies? Pet their head softly?
Deku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 AM   #9
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Btw with ping pong pearl scale goldfish... what other goldfish can I mix with it? I dont have any goldfish yet...and for some odd reason even Iam offered a saltwater aquarium with everything. but oddly...iam attracted to the goldfish... o.o
Deku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 AM   #10
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku View Post
o.o my friend showed me that. Sorry Dx iam sorry. Dx but if you can handle them. What do you mean gently? can you "massage" their bellies? Pet their head softly?
You can massage their bellies or pet them on the head softly. The one on the video was just very rough. If you notice some white stuff floating around, it indicates their slime coat is already peeling off and you should stop handling the goldfish once you see it. Damaged slime coats leave them more prone to secondary infections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deku View Post
Btw with ping pong pearl scale goldfish... what other goldfish can I mix with it? I dont have any goldfish yet...and for some odd reason even Iam offered a saltwater aquarium with everything. but oddly...iam attracted to the goldfish... o.o
You could try ranchus, lionheads, bubble eyes and celestials as their tankmates. If you opt to go with bubble eyes and celestials, make sure none of your decorations are abrasive enough to damage their eyes.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goldfish and PH jenricae Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 01-22-2010 09:34 AM
RIP Mr Goldfish. Twistersmom Fish Memorials 6 10-12-2009 04:59 PM
Goldfish Noob with many general questions onekatietwo Cyprinids and Atherinids 21 05-21-2009 06:19 PM
Glo fish questions, set up questions, cycling QUESTIONS>> cajunmomof4 Cyprinids and Atherinids 3 04-23-2008 08:36 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.