While away on holiday, my fish-sitter discovered that my male Goldfish (Ryukin Juvie, 2" long) had attempted to consume my Otto, likely because she forgot to feed them for a few days. Normally they leave each other alone, but I think because they were hungry, the Goldfish attempted to eat the Otto. She's usually too fast for the poor guy, but due to lack of supplement, I think she was a bit slow. So, consequently, the little Otto got stuck in the Ryukin's mouth, and neither could swim nor breathe. In panic, the sitter had pulled the Otto straight out of the Ryukin's mouth, saving both lives, but unfortunately tore off the upper and part of the lower lip. He's made it through the night, and he's still in shock.
I don't have params, but my siggy has the info. There is a 2mm long hair algae infestation going on, but even a week long blackout never killed it, and there are no stress symptoms otherwise. My snails are booming, so since they're not dying off, I assume the params are fine. I did a 50% water change before I left, and 5 days before that. I have been half-dosing flourish for the plants, because a full dose makes the algae worse. I don't have immediate (within the next 2 weeks) access to anything like melafix or other meds, though I DO have frozen veg food with garlic.
Will the wound heal?
Will he have to re-learn how to eat?
Should I change food away from a flake?
I don't have the heart to cull him. He is my favorite fish, and was my husband's first ever goldfish.