I have had this goldfish named Bowie for a few weeks after falling in love with his coloring. Tonight I noticed he can't close his mouth. I gently netted him and inspected him by hand for a few seconds and could not see any gravel inside---but it's actually quite hard to see inside (seems a little swollen to me? like the inner cheeks) He seems to be eating ok? I mean he's sucking food in (I fed him softened sinking shrimp pellets as a treat) So weird. Imagine a figure 8---his mouth looks like that---both sides are almost touching on the inside. Nothing furry or cottony, just normal colored mouth tissue to me.
His tankmate is a larger Black Moor named Shaft, who seems to be picking on him a little which got better when I fed softened floating food to the big guy and softened sinking food to this one. I've tried to give him plenty of hiding places----but he seems to like the big guy so much (who knows) and will follow him around even after being nudged by him.
I have pictures and Video (I'll link to youtube)
Video: YouTube - Goldfish Mouth Issues - cannot close mouth
1. What is the size of your tank?
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
GH - 75
KH - 40
PH - 7.8
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
Fancy Goldfish - Both Moors. 2 fish one 3ish inches from nose to vent and the ill one is about 2"
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
71 degrees Farrenheit
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
Penguin Biowheel 170, back filter changed once a month, never changed Biowheel. 170 GPH.
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)? Ario Blue LED bubbler turned on low bubble
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)? No Sunlight, 12 hours on 12 hours off I have a Plant/Aquiarium bulb.
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
Yesterday morning and 20%. I change it 20% every week. I do vacuum with water changes.
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
Softened goldfish floating pellets and Sinking Shrimp pellets(I soak them in a cup of water from the tank) Veggies on occasion and algea tablets on occasion (Once a week) 5 pellets and one shrimp pellet broken in half 2 times a day.
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish? Mouth open and will not close, other fish is in perfect health. Fish seems to be eating and healthy otherwise. Inner mouth seems odd and possibly swollen?
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
I have only visially inpected the fish and added a little stress coat to the water.
Please help!! I really like this little guy!