Disappearing Danios! - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
tah1795's Avatar
 
Disappearing Danios!

I do not know what is going on, I had 5 Leopard Danios and they were doing great, I loved them so much I went and bought 3 more from the same store, for a total of 8.

Now I have them just completely disappearing! There is no body left behind or anything!
I have a lid on my tank, they are not jumping out. I do not think any of the fish in my tank can eat a danio.

I have four left right now. Any ideas?

55g-
Ancistrus triradiatus x1
Ancistrus sp. Albino x1
Apistogramma cacautoides "Orange Flash"(Cockatoo Cichlid)x2
Corydoras paleatus (Peppered Cory Cat) x3
Hyphessobrycon eques (Red Serpae Tetra) x6
Ilyodon furcidens x3
Monodactylus sebae (Mono) x1
Pimelodus pictus (Pictus Cat) x1
Pterophyllum scalare(Angelfish) x5
Trichogaster fasciata (Banded Gourami) x2
Trichogaster lalius (Dwarf Gourami) x3

20g-
Ambystoma mexicanum x3



tah1795 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Member
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tah1795 View Post
I do not know what is going on, I had 5 Leopard Danios and they were doing great, I loved them so much I went and bought 3 more from the same store, for a total of 8.

Now I have them just completely disappearing! There is no body left behind or anything!
I have a lid on my tank, they are not jumping out. I do not think any of the fish in my tank can eat a danio.

I have four left right now. Any ideas?
hi there...your angelfish might be behind all this...they usually have small fish in their menu..

please watch and share with friends and family.
leogtr is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Agree. And another culprit could be the Pictus Catfish, depending upon size. Click the shaded nmae and check out the info on this fish. It also is better in a group, but that means a much larger tank, so leave it alone. But expect fish disappearances.

You also have potential trouble with the Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) in with angelfish. The slow sedate angels with their long fins are a real temptation to fish that are notorious for fin nipping anyway, and while you may not see it now, I can assure you that down the road it is very probable. Even if not, the Serpae send out chemical signals that other fish pick up on, and this alone causes stress. Angels in spite of their aggressiveness as cichlids are still somewhat shy fish, and do not appreciate anything in the tank that they perceive as a possible bully or predator.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #4 of 4 Old 02-13-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
tah1795's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
hi there...your angelfish might be behind all this...they usually have small fish in their menu..
The angels are still small and I JUST got them 2 days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Agree. And another culprit could be the Pictus Catfish, depending upon size. Click the shaded nmae and check out the info on this fish. It also is better in a group, but that means a much larger tank, so leave it alone. But expect fish disappearances.

You also have potential trouble with the Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) in with angelfish. The slow sedate angels with their long fins are a real temptation to fish that are notorious for fin nipping anyway, and while you may not see it now, I can assure you that down the road it is very probable. Even if not, the Serpae send out chemical signals that other fish pick up on, and this alone causes stress. Angels in spite of their aggressiveness as cichlids are still somewhat shy fish, and do not appreciate anything in the tank that they perceive as a possible bully or predator.

Byron.
The Pictus Catfish was living in my 20 gallon until yesterday, he had his tail bitten off completely and I wanted him to be separated from my other bottom dwellers until it healed. (It healed and now is growing back new fins)

I will watch my serpaes, if there are any problems i will remove them.

55g-
Ancistrus triradiatus x1
Ancistrus sp. Albino x1
Apistogramma cacautoides "Orange Flash"(Cockatoo Cichlid)x2
Corydoras paleatus (Peppered Cory Cat) x3
Hyphessobrycon eques (Red Serpae Tetra) x6
Ilyodon furcidens x3
Monodactylus sebae (Mono) x1
Pimelodus pictus (Pictus Cat) x1
Pterophyllum scalare(Angelfish) x5
Trichogaster fasciata (Banded Gourami) x2
Trichogaster lalius (Dwarf Gourami) x3

20g-
Ambystoma mexicanum x3



tah1795 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disappearing Fish peterman Ponds and Waterfalls 6 08-24-2009 04:38 PM
Disappearing Fish Firstsalt Saltwater Fish Diseases 19 05-23-2009 10:58 PM
food for neon tetras, blue l-f danios and zebra danios teh13371 Cyprinids and Atherinids 3 12-19-2007 01:53 PM
Fish disappearing Mirta Tropical Fish Diseases 4 08-30-2007 01:32 PM
Disappearing Fish frgags Saltwater Fish Diseases 3 03-25-2007 06:51 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome