Can i add danios? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Lightbulb Can i add danios?

i have livebearers in my tank and i am planning to add zebra danios in it. are they compatible tankmates?
Can they spawn with other fish in the tank?
makoy1995 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by makoy1995 View Post
i have livebearers in my tank and i am planning to add zebra danios in it. are they compatible tankmates?
Can they spawn with other fish in the tank?
How many livebearer's in what size tank?
Danios and livebearer's share similar water requierment's (ie)basic to alkaline water,temps not much above 78 degrees F would suit them.
Am doubtful Danio eggs would hatch as both the danios, and livebearer's, would eat them if they find em.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM
New Member
 
i am thinking of adding danios to my tank, how many is best to get at a time or and you just get one?
will they be compatible with the rest of my tank?

TANK: 42gal 18" high

1 x bristlenose Catfish
1 x Siamese fighter
2 x Dalmation Molly (both female)
1 x White Loach
5 x Neon Tetras
1 x Angel - note sure what to do with this as i have been told you are meant to have 3-4 together!!
skipperdee is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdee View Post
i am thinking of adding danios to my tank, how many is best to get at a time or and you just get one?
will they be compatible with the rest of my tank?

TANK: 42gal 18" high

1 x bristlenose Catfish
1 x Siamese fighter
2 x Dalmation Molly (both female)
1 x White Loach
5 x Neon Tetras
1 x Angel - note sure what to do with this as i have been told you are meant to have 3-4 together!!
Danios do best in groups of five or more, and are extremely active fish that could easily grab lions share of food at feeedig time, before other fishes have a chance.
Danios might also nip fins of fish like Angelfish,and betta or,, Angelfish could eat the danios and or neons when it can catch them, usually at night while fishes are resting.
The Angelfish,betta,and mollies prefer warmer water than the neons or danios who do better at temps not much above 76 degrees to 78 degrees F at high end.
Not sure what you are referring to when you mention 'white loach' but many/most loaches also prefer to be in small groups for they are social fish.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.

Last edited by 1077; 03-21-2012 at 01:54 AM.
1077 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
How many livebearer's in what size tank?
Danios and livebearer's share similar water requierment's (ie)basic to alkaline water,temps not much above 78 degrees F would suit them.
Am doubtful Danio eggs would hatch as both the danios, and livebearer's, would eat them if they find em.
the tank is about 50 gallon and there are i guess twenty mollies and four swordtails. the tank has alot of anachris in it.
makoy1995 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by makoy1995 View Post
the tank is about 50 gallon and there are i guess twenty mollies and four swordtails. the tank has alot of anachris in it.
Will soon be many, many, baby livebearer's (is what they do).
Would not add any more fish.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1077 For This Useful Post:
makoy1995 (03-21-2012)
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding new danios to help current danios, even if the new ones probably won't last? Wolfess Cyprinids and Atherinids 14 05-19-2011 09:41 AM
Danios danios and more danios! Andyandsue Cyprinids and Atherinids 6 05-04-2008 12:08 PM
my danios teh13371 Fish Breeding 3 12-26-2007 04:12 PM
food for neon tetras, blue l-f danios and zebra danios teh13371 Cyprinids and Atherinids 3 12-19-2007 02:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome