barbs and rts not compatible? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-14-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
jdm free's Avatar
 
barbs and rts not compatible?

ive been reading up on green tiger barbs, and barbs in general ive read a few times they dont like to be around red tailed sharks and that these arent compatible and get aggresive with each other? it would be in a 30 gallon bow front tank.

i want a rts and cherry barbs and green tiger barbs. would this work?
jdm free is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 04:31 AM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Wrong. These fish are actually compatible. They can fend for themselves if either of them starts bickering with the other. Cherry barbs are better off in a more peaceful community than one where the tiger barbs may harass them constantly.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 AM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm free View Post
ive been reading up on green tiger barbs, and barbs in general ive read a few times they dont like to be around red tailed sharks and that these arent compatible and get aggresive with each other? it would be in a 30 gallon bow front tank.

i want a rts and cherry barbs and green tiger barbs. would this work?
Yes they are compatible but remember the red tail sharks can be very aggresive i saw them in a LFS attacking a Krib
NUMB3RS is offline  
post #4 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
jdm free's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMB3RS View Post
Yes they are compatible but remember the red tail sharks can be very aggresive i saw them in a LFS attacking a Krib
yea i know they are, i want to have a semi aggresive fish that is very active, but i wanted to have fish that can fend for themselves but not constantly be fighting. if that makes sense?
jdm free is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Member
 
I have had Tiger Barbs with a RTBS. They are perfectly compatible.

It was even in a 30G bowfront as well, so hey. Lol.

But just be careful with adding any other bottom dwellers with the shark once it matures. I saw a few nights at first where my male Krib and RTBS fought, and where the shark chased every other fish in the tank. They eventually mellow out, but be very careful.
Cody is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm free View Post
yea i know they are, i want to have a semi aggresive fish that is very active, but i wanted to have fish that can fend for themselves but not constantly be fighting. if that makes sense?
They really aren't all that active.

~veganchick~

All things bright an beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord, God made them all.



*Vegans Have more Fun*

http://www.petshopanimals.webs.com
veganchick is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Member
 
Who, sharks? Or the barbs? Both are very active. The shark primarily in the evening/night with the barbs being active when the lights are on.
Cody is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
jdm free's Avatar
 
tiger barbs are really active in schools. i just bought 3 of them and putting them in the tank today.
jdm free is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Member
 
I wouldn't get Tiger Barbs unless I had a group of ten. Yes, ten. Not kidding. I had 8, and one killed off more than half of the group. I isolated him, added more fish, and then another one took dominance and the pecking order was established. Three will most likely result in dead fish.
Cody is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 02-15-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
jdm free's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
I wouldn't get Tiger Barbs unless I had a group of ten. Yes, ten. Not kidding. I had 8, and one killed off more than half of the group. I isolated him, added more fish, and then another one took dominance and the pecking order was established. Three will most likely result in dead fish.
i plan to have atleast 6. started with 3 since they are the first to go into the tank. levels are good so i figured ill introduce a few fish a day. ill add more in a week or so

im guessing its ok to mix and match tiger barbs. have like 6 green, and 6 regular?
jdm free is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tiger barbs compatible w/ danios and tetras eighty80 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 2 08-09-2009 01:33 PM
can rosy barbs school with other barbs? SST Cyprinids and Atherinids 7 09-17-2008 01:27 PM
Compatible with ciclids Ptrain Cichlids 10 04-02-2008 11:31 PM
Are these fish compatible? Steenbergen Freshwater and Tropical Fish 16 05-01-2007 06:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome