tiny white looking star fish ????
Tropical Fish Keeping
Resources for saltwater and freshwater aquariums

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Advanced Saltwater Discussion » Coral and Reef Creatures » tiny white looking star fish ????

tiny white looking star fish ????

This is a discussion on tiny white looking star fish ???? within the Coral and Reef Creatures forums, part of the Advanced Saltwater Discussion category; --> it is on the glass very small and white looks like a starfish ?/ any ideas...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
tiny white looking star fish ????
Old 05-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #1
 
tiny white looking star fish ????

it is on the glass very small and white looks like a starfish ?/ any ideas
black&whiteclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
 
Gump's Avatar
 
Cant remember the name of them but there not star fish and every reef tank i've seen has had them in large numbers. They eat algae i think, not harmful.
Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
 
caferacermike's Avatar
 
Probably is a Asterina star. Rumored to eat zoa and sps. Not really confirmed, much debated. May only eat certain types so both arguments could be correct to a point.


Does this pic look like yours? If so do a Yahoo search (credit goes to whoever posted the pic I borrowed) and read up on them.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike
Probably is a Asterina star. Rumored to eat zoa and sps. Not really confirmed, much debated. May only eat certain types so both arguments could be correct to a point.


Does this pic look like yours? If so do a Yahoo search (credit goes to whoever posted the pic I borrowed) and read up on them.
yeah i wouldnt confirm it either...we have a few in our tank, and still have all our zoas.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
 
yes it looks like that but a bit smaller , if it maybe true to eat stuff i will remove it know , but it still on glass . thks does it get big
black&whiteclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by black&whiteclowns
yes it looks like that but a bit smaller , if it maybe true to eat stuff i will remove it know , but it still on glass . thks does it get big
We have tons of them in our tank and some are about as big as a dime and Iv never seen them eating my corals.
usmc121581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
 
caferacermike's Avatar
 
I've had them eat fresh frags of SPS corals. I had 4 of them take out a colony of green slimer SPS. The trouble with the argument is whether the stars sense that there is a weakness or injury and are just eating the coral due to the signals being given off. As in, maybe my slimer was dieing and the stars ate it because of that or maybe they prefer frags because they give off a chemical after being broken away.

I always remove them when I see them. To me it is better to be safe than sorry. I have plenty of snails, hermits and other stars to keep my tank clean.
caferacermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike
I've had them eat fresh frags of SPS corals. I had 4 of them take out a colony of green slimer SPS. The trouble with the argument is whether the stars sense that there is a weakness or injury and are just eating the coral due to the signals being given off. As in, maybe my slimer was dieing and the stars ate it because of that or maybe they prefer frags because they give off a chemical after being broken away.

I always remove them when I see them. To me it is better to be safe than sorry. I have plenty of snails, hermits and other stars to keep my tank clean.
Now you got me thinking, because I have been loosing SPS frags lately. Ill take them out and feed them to my puffer now.
usmc121581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
 
so i guess take it out if i see it again i will pull it ,, thks
black&whiteclowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
feeding black brittle star and tiger serpent star scooterjuniuspilot Coral and Reef Creatures 5 11-12-2009 09:03 PM
Tiny White Dots everywhere doobzgirl Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 08-13-2009 10:11 PM
Tiny white dots everywhere doobzgirl Cichlids 6 08-13-2009 03:52 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.