I need Rose bubble tip anemone thoughts
Tropical Fish Keeping
Resources for saltwater and freshwater aquariums

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Saltwater Fish and Coral Reef Tanks » Advanced Saltwater Discussion » Coral and Reef Creatures » I need Rose bubble tip anemone thoughts

I need Rose bubble tip anemone thoughts

This is a discussion on I need Rose bubble tip anemone thoughts within the Coral and Reef Creatures forums, part of the Advanced Saltwater Discussion category; --> I'm thinking of getting a RBTA. My corals are all doing really well, and I'm a bit worried about the risk to my birds ...

Like Tree2Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
I need Rose bubble tip anemone thoughts
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
I need Rose bubble tip anemone thoughts

I'm thinking of getting a RBTA. My corals are all doing really well, and I'm a bit worried about the risk to my birds nest and monti caps sps's, but I really would like to try an anemone. I thought I heard they were the easiest to care for and the safest, but in reading about them, I'm not sure.

Any thoughts on keeping these? I guess I have to put a filter sock over my powerheads until it gets settled? Just not sure what to do, so I thought I'd see if anyone has some more experience they will share.

Thanks!

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
 
wake49's Avatar
 
I have kept RBTAs in all my tanks. I personally love them. I think your tank is definitely mature enough to have them thrive. They are sensitive creatures, so make sure nitrates are close to zero and alkalinity and calcium are at optimum levels.

As far as the filter sock, I would just personally move my powerheads away from the rocks so the anenome can't crawl into them. I have woke up in the morning and found anenomes in the powerheads. Usually they don't survive after that. If you do put a filter sock on the powerheads, just keep them clean. Clean them at least weekly, if not more often.

With good water quality and proper care, these animals are prone to splitting in the home aquarium. I personally had one split in my 150 four times! I kept all five, but I know people will trade the splits for frags or fish...
Posted via Mobile Device
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
I have kept RBTAs in all my tanks. I personally love them. I think your tank is definitely mature enough to have them thrive. They are sensitive creatures, so make sure nitrates are close to zero and alkalinity and calcium are at optimum levels.

As far as the filter sock, I would just personally move my powerheads away from the rocks so the anenome can't crawl into them. I have woke up in the morning and found anenomes in the powerheads. Usually they don't survive after that. If you do put a filter sock on the powerheads, just keep them clean. Clean them at least weekly, if not more often.

With good water quality and proper care, these animals are prone to splitting in the home aquarium. I personally had one split in my 150 four times! I kept all five, but I know people will trade the splits for frags or fish...
Posted via Mobile Device
Very cool! I'm actually thinking pantyhose over the PH just until it settles. My nitrates are always/still at 0 (yay) after 6 months. ALK and calcium are good too. ALK at 9, calcium at 420. Is that good?

I guess I'll go for it. You advise, up close to top/middle on a rock, right?
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
My nitrates are always/still at 0 (yay) after 6 months. ALK and calcium are good too. ALK at 9, calcium at 420. Is that good?
Perfect. Your Alkalinity is on the lower side of the spectrum, but not even a concern. What do you dose with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
I guess I'll go for it. You advise, up close to top/middle on a rock, right?
I was talking about the powerheads, but if you cover them you can probably leave them where they are. As far as the anenome goes, he will move around the tank until he finds a place that suits him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
Very cool! I'm actually thinking pantyhose over the PH just until it settles.
Just be sure to keep the pantyhose clean. They will collect detritus and food, so after a few days rinse them out or replace them (unless he has settled and you just remove them completely).
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
Perfect. Your Alkalinity is on the lower side of the spectrum, but not even a concern. What do you dose with?



I was talking about the powerheads, but if you cover them you can probably leave them where they are. As far as the anenome goes, he will move around the tank until he finds a place that suits him...



Just be sure to keep the pantyhose clean. They will collect detritus and food, so after a few days rinse them out or replace them (unless he has settled and you just remove them completely).
My ALK remained at 7 for about a month, despite dosing per directions with Kent product. I finally just did a water change and that fixed it, so I guess I will have to do more regular water changes, unless I can find a product that would work - any ideas? I wasn't doing water changes, because I had no nitrates, and I did dose with calcium, which keeps it in an good range. I figure to keep it at 9, I'll have to do small water changes, more often, also I used baking soda (tip I heard of) and that has worked well too. I haven't tested my AlK since Saturday, so I will now and see what I get.

Edit: Okay, it's at 8, so it is dropping fast from my WC on Saturday. I guess I will still need to dose with something. I'm going to try 2 tsp of baking soda, and add that with water slowly to tank and see what results I get. I better get this figured out before I get a RBTA. Do you recommend the level to be at 10? 12?

Last edited by GwenInNM; 05-15-2013 at 05:32 PM..
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
 
wake49's Avatar
 
10 is optimal.
Posted via Mobile Device
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
I'll be getting my RTBA today, assuming it arrives at the LFS healthy. I've been doing a lot of reading, and have one more question. I do have a very healthy Mandarian dragonette. Is this fish at any risk with this anemone? I wouldn't want any of my fish hurt. Because he cruises around on the rocks, I'm a bit concerned for him. What do you think?
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
I'll be getting my RTBA today, assuming it arrives at the LFS healthy. I've been doing a lot of reading, and have one more question. I do have a very healthy Mandarian dragonette. Is this fish at any risk with this anemone? I wouldn't want any of my fish hurt. Because he cruises around on the rocks, I'm a bit concerned for him. What do you think?
I had a Mandarin that lived in both my 46 and 150 with multiple anenomes and never had an issue. I think they know who to stay away from...

That being said, when you have a saltwater tank, you run the risk of the "Wild World of Nature" taking place in that tank. I know that crabs will rip snails out of their shells, some fish will eat other fish, and sometimes a fish can brush up too close to that anenome and end up seeing his demise. It is the risk of having diversity in your tank.

I personally wouldn't be worried, because I have had luck keeping both the Mandarin and multiple RBTAs in the same tank.
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake49 View Post
I had a Mandarin that lived in both my 46 and 150 with multiple anenomes and never had an issue. I think they know who to stay away from...

That being said, when you have a saltwater tank, you run the risk of the "Wild World of Nature" taking place in that tank. I know that crabs will rip snails out of their shells, some fish will eat other fish, and sometimes a fish can brush up too close to that anenome and end up seeing his demise. It is the risk of having diversity in your tank.

I personally wouldn't be worried, because I have had luck keeping both the Mandarin and multiple RBTAs in the same tank.
Thanks for that reassurance Crabs kill snails? I didn't know that. Hmmm. Lots to love about fishkeeping! I'm taking the day off work, to be able to pick it up when it arrives, and watch it when I get it in the tank. Also, I decided to turn my powerheads off, especially at night, until it settles. Makes more sense than the pantyhose idea, don't you think?
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #10
 
wake49's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
Thanks for that reassurance Crabs kill snails? I didn't know that. Hmmm. Lots to love about fishkeeping! I'm taking the day off work, to be able to pick it up when it arrives, and watch it when I get it in the tank. Also, I decided to turn my powerheads off, especially at night, until it settles. Makes more sense than the pantyhose idea, don't you think?
As long as there is some flow in your tank. Flow creates oxygen exchange and without it, fishies might start to choke.

Are you running a skimmer? That will oxygenate the water while you shut the powerheads off.
wake49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rose coloured, bubble tip anemone ymh1253 Coral and Reef Creatures 2 08-18-2008 06:18 PM
Bubble Tip Anemone Justinskym51 Coral and Reef Creatures 2 10-11-2007 12:48 PM
bubble tip rose anemone falling apart ReeferGuy Coral and Reef Creatures 4 09-27-2007 05:35 AM
bubble tip shrunk to nothing a little spot ????? help black&whiteclowns Coral and Reef Creatures 3 05-14-2007 12:55 PM
bubble tip green black&whiteclowns Coral and Reef Creatures 3 05-01-2007 08:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.