07-06-2009, 04:22 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by mullinsd2
Yeah, with the new light I plan to just run actinics at first; either that or get panels that can be removed over time in order to introduce the stronger light slowly.
I don't think you need to worry about doing that. It won't reduce the algae bloom, and there is no livestock in the tank to be "shocked" with the new light. If you had an already stocked tank with fish and corals, and you jumped from PC to Metal Halide lights, then what you suggested above would be a good idea, otherwise you could actually "burn" the corals (so I've heard) and make the fish unhappy until they get used to the new, brighter light.
But since you don't have any fish or corals, I don't think there's anything to shock. And again, I highly doubt that increasing the light slowly would avoid an algae bloom.
Out of curiosity, what light fixture are you going to get?