When buying angelfish... - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » When buying angelfish...

When buying angelfish...

This is a discussion on When buying angelfish... within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Thanks! They get light by throwing away half the floating plants every week >.> It's not that overgrown most the time, but the Water ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Texas Cichlid
Texas Cichlid
Discus
Discus
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
When buying angelfish...
Old 11-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Thanks!

They get light by throwing away half the floating plants every week >.> It's not that overgrown most the time, but the Water Sprite and Dwarf Water Lettuce grow very fast and need cleaned out every week.

The lights are dual T8's with 6500K daylight bulbs. One is a 48" fixture (with GE bulbs) and one is a 24" fixture (with Phillips bulbs) to cover the full 6 feet (72"). I use regular old shop light fixtures because they are dirt cheap (but not as nice looking) as ones build for aquariums.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #22
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
Thanks!

They get light by throwing away half the floating plants every week >.> It's not that overgrown most the time, but the Water Sprite and Dwarf Water Lettuce grow very fast and need cleaned out every week.

The lights are dual T8's with 6500K daylight bulbs. One is a 48" fixture (with GE bulbs) and one is a 24" fixture (with Phillips bulbs) to cover the full 6 feet (72"). I use regular old shop light fixtures because they are dirt cheap (but not as nice looking) as ones build for aquariums.
Gotchya. You know I have had water sprite for some time in my 125gallon. I had plenty of light, and it never took off. I always hear about how its the easiest to grow, but not for me. I never added any fertilizer. And I feel like I had plenty of light too, with a dual t-8 shop light, and 2 24 inch 10,000k bulb fixtures. Oh well. I tried to spare some of the healtheir parts and placed them in my 55 gal, I hope it takes off in that tank.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #23
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
The no fertilizer could contribute to that, I dose Flourish once a week (two cap fulls).
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
The no fertilizer could contribute to that, I dose Flourish once a week (two cap fulls).
Oh ok, sounds good. Since this is my first panted tank, I am all set with flourish and root tabs. I am currently dosing twice a week, and if I start seeing algae problems, I'll cut back on the doses.

Also, I though water sprite was pretty hard to kill?
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Oh ok, sounds good. Since this is my first panted tank, I am all set with flourish and root tabs. I am currently dosing twice a week, and if I start seeing algae problems, I'll cut back on the doses.

Also, I though water sprite was pretty hard to kill?
There are three species of Water Sprite.

Ceratopteris cornuta is suppose to be the best for floating, but I could not find it anywhere. I have Ceratopteris thalictroides which isn't suppose to do as well floating but instead does better planted.

Well... I floated it anyways, and mine has been flourishing. I can't say if that's common or not. My pH is 6.4, GH is normally between 1 and 2 dGH but I raise it with Seachem Equalibrium to 3-4 dGH. My KH is also low, between 1-2 dKH. Water temperature is 78 degrees.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
To help speed it along, look closely for new plants forming. You'll see roots forming in the middle of a stem, that's a new plant forming and you can pull it off and the new plant will continue to grow on into a larger one.

It is very similar to Java Fern in this regard, but much faster growing.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
 
Byron's Avatar
 
CinBos, you will not likely have success with Water Sprite or any floating plant without some fertilization. In some tanks with a good nutrient source it may manage, but all floating plants need nutrients. Being at the top they have sufficient light, and they assimilate CO2 from the air faster than submersed plants can from the water, so the other nutrients have to be sufficient to balance. These are fast growing plants, and they need food.

I have been dosing Flourish Comp once weekly, and the WS began showing signs that all was not well, so I upped the FC to twice weekly and it improved. I'm now dosing 3 times weekly and will see if that has further effect.

It is all about balance, between light and nutrients.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
CinBos, you will not likely have success with Water Sprite or any floating plant without some fertilization. In some tanks with a good nutrient source it may manage, but all floating plants need nutrients. Being at the top they have sufficient light, and they assimilate CO2 from the air faster than submersed plants can from the water, so the other nutrients have to be sufficient to balance. These are fast growing plants, and they need food.

I have been dosing Flourish Comp once weekly, and the WS began showing signs that all was not well, so I upped the FC to twice weekly and it improved. I'm now dosing 3 times weekly and will see if that has further effect.

It is all about balance, between light and nutrients.

Byron.
Sounds good. Well I am hoping, with a strict schedule of dosing and root tabs, that will help my plants take off. I would really like the sprite to take take off so I can put it in my 125 gallon, and then I will start dosing that tank. The most hardest plants I think I have right now are all the anubias. They seem to do just fine without any fertilizer.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #29
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Sounds good. Well I am hoping, with a strict schedule of dosing and root tabs, that will help my plants take off. I would really like the sprite to take take off so I can put it in my 125 gallon, and then I will start dosing that tank. The most hardest plants I think I have right now are all the anubias. They seem to do just fine without any fertilizer.
Yes, because Anubias is slow growing. The faster a plant normally grows, the higher light and more nutrients it will require, generally speaking. "Balance" again.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Golden angelfish/Coral Beauty angelfish compatibility mahu25 Saltwater Fish 1 04-09-2011 07:43 PM
Buying used? Allbread Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 10 01-01-2010 10:45 AM
what to look for while buying LR? moneylaw Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 2 07-28-2007 06:40 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.