Tap Water
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » Tap Water

Tap Water

This is a discussion on Tap Water within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> This is the page with information about my city's water. I am wondering if the water I get out of my tap will be ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Severum
Severum
Jack Dempsey
Jack Dempsey
Reply
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
 
Talking Tap Water

This is the page with information about my city's water. I am wondering if the water I get out of my tap will be sufficient to use in my South African Cichlid tank. I will have fish from Lake Malawi and Victoria. Thank you for the help guys as this is my first cichlid tank :)

Melbourne's Drinking Water - City of Melbourne, Florida
Blabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
 
fan4guppy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blabomb View Post
This is the page with information about my city's water. I am wondering if the water I get out of my tap will be sufficient to use in my South African Cichlid tank. I will have fish from Lake Malawi and Victoria. Thank you for the help guys as this is my first cichlid tank :)

Melbourne's Drinking Water - City of Melbourne, Florida
Generally the water ph is generally within the ball park that you have given if it is 8.2

Chemically though it is below in Total Dissolved Solids from that link

Here is the water chemistry of Lake Malawi


Lake
Malawi
pH 8.5 – 8.6
Alkalinity (mg/L CaCO3) 118 – 129
Hardness (mg/L CaCO3) 90 – 120
Conductivity (Ás/cm) 2210 – 220
Calcium (mg/L) 16.4 – 19.8
Carbonates (mg/L) 118 – 129
Chloride (mg/L) 3.6 – 4.3
Magnesium (mg/L) 4.7 – 8.8
Potassium (mg/L) 6.4
Phosphorous (mg/L) < 0.007 – 0.030
Sodium (mg/L) 21.0
Silicate (mg/L) 1.1 – 4.0
Sulfate (mg/L) 5.5

Although Domesticated bred fish are more adaptable to water parametres than Wild Caught

Reference

Talling, J.F., and I.B. Talling, 1965, The Chemical Composition of African Lake Waters. Internationale Revue ges. Hydrobiologie 50 (3): 421-463.

Last edited by fan4guppy; 02-07-2011 at 10:42 AM..
fan4guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
 
So my pH is fine but I need to raise hardness. Would I be able to use the cichlid salt they sell at my LFS?
Blabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Interesting the pH rises from 7.6 to 8.2 but I can't see any indication of what they may be adding to do that. Anyway, that's not an issue, and I agree you need more mineral in the water to harden it.

The rift lake salts you can buy will do it, but may be expensive long-term. A less expensive way would be to use calcareous rock or gravel such as limestone, dolomite, marble. Calcareous rocks slowly leech calcium and magnesium into the water, adding hardness. When I kept rift lake cichlids with my very soft tap water, I used dolomite as the substrate. It is a white gravel made from, naturally, dolomite, and is the best method.

You can also use a combo of calcium rock and magnesium sulfate (common Epsom salts). The calcium can come from crushed coral, such as what you can buy for the substrate in marine tanks. And at each water change add a small amount of Epsom salt mixed in with the replacement water. The coral adds the calcium, the Epsom salts the magnesium. Epsom salts can be purchased in drug stores, grocery stores, etc., in bags and is not expensive. We can discuss this method more if you ask. Dolomite would be my first choice if you can find it.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
 
fan4guppy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Interesting the pH rises from 7.6 to 8.2 but I can't see any indication of what they may be adding to do that. Anyway, that's not an issue, and I agree you need more mineral in the water to harden it.
Yes I noticed that to Byron. Without the details of the chemical changes that the water treatment plant did to the chemical analysis of the water it is hard to say what was added perhaps the original poster can inquire about the water analysis as to the exact positive and negative ions involved in their water. I do know that this is available in most centers. The poster does need to add more mineral content to harden the water for the best bio-type chemistry for the water for Rift Lake Cichlids.

Quote:
The rift lake salts you can buy will do it, but may be expensive long-term. A less expensive way would be to use calcareous rock or gravel such as limestone, dolomite, marble. Calcareous rocks slowly leech calcium and magnesium into the water, adding hardness. When I kept rift lake cichlids with my very soft tap water, I used dolomite as the substrate. It is a white gravel made from, naturally, dolomite, and is the best method.
If I remember right Byron you are from the west coast of Canada, Vancouver. I am originally from Calgary Alberta which has got very hard water in regards to mineral content but not as much Sodium and other minerals too. The Rift Lake Salts are expensive to keep a mineral balance as you do have to do water changes and this would be an ever ending process to keep the correct mineral content.


Quote:
]You can also use a combo of calcium rock and magnesium sulfate (common Epsom salts). The calcium can come from crushed coral, such as what you can buy for the substrate in marine tanks. And at each water change add a small amount of Epsom salt mixed in with the replacement water. The coral adds the calcium, the Epsom salts the magnesium. Epsom salts can be purchased in drug stores, grocery stores, etc., in bags and is not expensive. We can discuss this method more if you ask. Dolomite would be my first choice if you can find it.

Byron.

This is great advice in regards to adding mineral content to the water for Rift Lake Cichlids and even Guppies. If you noticed in the water chemistry my previous post there is high concentrations also of Sodium positive ions, and Clorides in the water to for the lake chemistry of African Cichlids. In the late 60s and early 70s I was breeding a few species that were direct wild caught in my aquariums in Calgary and I added NaCl to my water with good success.

I think it may be wise for the poster to get proper test kits if possible for them to monitor their water in KH, PH and maybe a hydrometer. For to measure the exact water chemistry out of their tap as well as in their aquarium.

Malawaiin Cichlids are really easy to breed in regards water chemistry when their water and nutrition are followed at optimum values (especially wild caught species)
fan4guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
 
Thank you for the responses guys I took the general idea of what you guys told me and put it into action. I changed my substrate from gravel to crushed coral which will help me with my water hardness and pH. Next, I plan to use reef bone as the base rock in my aquarium. If I am not mistaken that will raise pH and hardness as well.
Blabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water question deoinized water vs distilled water jaysix79 Saltwater Fish 13 02-08-2010 01:42 AM
Questions on my water conditions. Advice on water changes and liquid fertilizer saulat Beginner Planted Aquarium 13 07-05-2009 05:50 PM
White Cloudy Water + Dead Fish after water change HELP!!! eviltuna Tropical Fish Diseases 8 03-05-2008 12:03 AM
Water Chemistry query - natural water source BigBlue Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 01-15-2007 05:57 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.