Sick???
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » Sick???

Sick???

This is a discussion on Sick??? within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Alright so i have had this fish since november, and for like 2 weeks now he has been acting weird, he has been laying ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Electric Yellow Cichlids
Electric Yellow Cichlids
Oscar
Oscar
Reply
Old 03-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Sick???

Alright so i have had this fish since november, and for like 2 weeks now he has been acting weird, he has been laying on the ground, and when he swims its head to tail circles all over, upside down, he is starting to swim upside right now, but still all the other stuff he is doing, its not normal

So whats going on?
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
 
Not enough info. To help you, we need to know: What kind of fish? How big is your tank? What are your water parameters - temp, ammonia and nitrite especially? How often do you change the water? Is your tank cycled? Do you have a heater, a filter, plants (live, plastic, silk)? Any tank mates? If so, what kind? How many? Pictures of the fish (still photo or video) would also help.

It sounds like your fish has swim bladder problems, but that can be caused by lots of things, and therefore the solution can vary.
Amethyst123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst123 View Post
Not enough info. To help you, we need to know: What kind of fish? How big is your tank? What are your water parameters - temp, ammonia and nitrite especially? How often do you change the water? Is your tank cycled? Do you have a heater, a filter, plants (live, plastic, silk)? Any tank mates? If so, what kind? How many? Pictures of the fish (still photo or video) would also help.

It sounds like your fish has swim bladder problems, but that can be caused by lots of things, and therefore the solution can vary.

Well it is an Aferican Cichlid, my tank is a 29gallon, i dont know my water parameters, except the temp should be 76-78 degrees F, change the water every other week, tank has been cycled for a couple years, i have a heater, a filter, plants, live and just added a plastic, but the live have been in there with him since i got him and i added the plastic just a couple of days ago, and the tank mates that were with him when i noticed this, Black skirted tetra, silver molly, betta (isolated), aferican frog, 1 zebra fish and that was all, i do currently have more fish in there, except the betta is placed in its own 1 gal tank right now, and the sick fish is now the one that is isolated so none of my other fish try to eat him or anything, but he is still in the tank, just in a net breeder. And i have tried my best to get pictures of him since i have had him, i have some old ones that arent that great, but i would have to send them to my email and figure out how to upload them on here
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysalouise View Post
Well it is an Aferican Cichlid, my tank is a 29gallon, i dont know my water parameters, except the temp should be 76-78 degrees F, change the water every other week, tank has been cycled for a couple years, i have a heater, a filter, plants, live and just added a plastic, but the live have been in there with him since i got him and i added the plastic just a couple of days ago, and the tank mates that were with him when i noticed this, Black skirted tetra, silver molly, betta (isolated), aferican frog, 1 zebra fish and that was all, i do currently have more fish in there, except the betta is placed in its own 1 gal tank right now, and the sick fish is now the one that is isolated so none of my other fish try to eat him or anything, but he is still in the tank, just in a net breeder. And i have tried my best to get pictures of him since i have had him, i have some old ones that arent that great, but i would have to send them to my email and figure out how to upload them on here
Placing the sick fish in breeder net will only further stress the fish.
I might consider returning the fish to the 29 gal and would try changing five gallons of water out once each day with fresh dechlorinated water for the next week or so.
I might feed fish once a day with no more food than I actually saw them eat in a minute.
If after a week ,I saw no improvement,, I would consider another course of action.
I would also invest in a test kit so that I could quickly identify or eliminate water quality as factor with fishes health.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Placing the sick fish in breeder net will only further stress the fish.
I might consider returning the fish to the 29 gal and would try changing five gallons of water out once each day with fresh dechlorinated water for the next week or so.
I might feed fish once a day with no more food than I actually saw them eat in a minute.
If after a week ,I saw no improvement,, I would consider another course of action.
I would also invest in a test kit so that I could quickly identify or eliminate water quality as factor with fishes health.

well my fish were trying to eat him, thats why i put him in there in the first place, and i have tried feeeding him but he cant get to the top of the water to eat, because he can only swim in circles for only a couple of seconds before he just lays back down, and i have that in my list of things for my dad to order for me, its been in the list for a bit now but he hasnt gotton to the list yet, and now an Emergancy came up with him so idk how soon that list will be ordered
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
 
If you don't have another tank in which to separate him, you could try putting him in a rubbermaid container or something where he has room to move (if/when he can) but that is shallow enough for him to get to the surface to eat. It would need to be heated, though, so this might be a problem if you don't have an extra heater.

You really need a test kit, as so many fish ailments are a result of too much ammonia and/or nitrites, and there's no way to know if you have this problem without a test kit. API Master Test Kit is a good one. The dip strips are less reliable than the liquid test kits. I'm sorry your dad is having an emergency - I hope whatever it is gets resolved quickly and satisfactorily.

I agree with the other post about doing frequent water changes for awhile - 5 gallons daily should help bring down any problem levels of ammonia or nitrite, so until you can get a test kit, that should help.
Amethyst123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
well he is pretty much dead now, so nothing really matters, and now my baby tank and my regular freshwater tank are all infested with some sort of parasite, so treatment begins today
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alysalouise View Post
well he is pretty much dead now, so nothing really matters, and now my baby tank and my regular freshwater tank are all infested with some sort of parasite, so treatment begins today

I know this is now several months old, but I'm wondering how everybody's doing. Did you get the parasites under control?
Amethyst123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst123 View Post
I know this is now several months old, but I'm wondering how everybody's doing. Did you get the parasites under control?

Haha ya a fw months old, i dont have almost all of those fish anymore, only like 2 i still have i think, it was ich that took over, adn treatment never worked, but i found out that cranking the temp up at adding salt to the tank gets rid of ich for me
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sick JD flashing, head jerking w/ tiger barbs sick as well K0nti3 Tropical Fish Diseases 7 09-04-2009 02:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.