Shell Dweller set up? Is it okay - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 Old 06-28-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
I plan on asking before ading because I am not to familiar with rift lake cichilids. I would like to house a few different species of shell dwellers. L. Multi. being a staple fish.... I will most likely add guppies but would their fins get nipped if I do?

38 gallon :
Pelvicachromis Taeniatus Nigerian Red not yet breeding pair
4 Pangio Kuhli
12 Hemmigrammus Bleheri
2 Botia Lohachata
1 Botia Straita
1 Ancistrus Sp.
6 Poecilia Reticulata




The Wet Spot Portland Oregon!!!!!!

ADA: Do!aqua Iwagumi 10 gallon size!
7 Clown Killies
7 Ghost shrimp
Christople is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 26 Old 06-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Member
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Guppies would probably get killed, their fins will look a lot like a cichlid territorial display and multies are tough fish that arent afraid of anything. I have heard of people using white clouds as dither fish, but if you can find them paracryprichomis are the best. They are the native midwater fish for lake tang and are very colorful.
lorax84 is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 06-28-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Here are the fish I want in this tank: 2 bricardi or however you spell it, 3 ish ocellatus, 3 ish multies. and MTS

38 gallon :
Pelvicachromis Taeniatus Nigerian Red not yet breeding pair
4 Pangio Kuhli
12 Hemmigrammus Bleheri
2 Botia Lohachata
1 Botia Straita
1 Ancistrus Sp.
6 Poecilia Reticulata




The Wet Spot Portland Oregon!!!!!!

ADA: Do!aqua Iwagumi 10 gallon size!
7 Clown Killies
7 Ghost shrimp
Christople is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 06-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Member
 
rrcoolj's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
Here are the fish I want in this tank: 2 bricardi or however you spell it, 3 ish ocellatus, 3 ish multies. and MTS
Never add cichlids in 2's or 3's because there will always be one that gets picked on. Are you planig on keeping pairs? Only one brichardi the other one would get killed. Again add more than 3 occelatus or one or 2 will get killed. And it's not a good idea for a beginner to mix shell sweller species especially species as aggressive as mulites and ocellatus. Ocellatus or so nasty I have seen a pair fend off a 6-8 FRONTOSA. Pick one shell dwelling species, one or two rock dwelling species and a mid water species. Trust me one species of shellie will leave you plenty of entertainment.

"responsible fish keeper?... Didn't know there was any other kind"

I am not retarded I just can't spell
rrcoolj is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Member
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcoolj View Post
Never add cichlids in 2's or 3's because there will always be one that gets picked on. Are you planig on keeping pairs? Only one brichardi the other one would get killed. Again add more than 3 occelatus or one or 2 will get killed. And it's not a good idea for a beginner to mix shell sweller species especially species as aggressive as mulites and ocellatus. Ocellatus or so nasty I have seen a pair fend off a 6-8 FRONTOSA. Pick one shell dwelling species, one or two rock dwelling species and a mid water species. Trust me one species of shellie will leave you plenty of entertainment.
As long as the Brichardi are a mated pair they would not kill each other. I don't agree on the Occes either, I have seen 3-4 kept well as long as the M to F ratio is at least 1-1 preferably 1-2. I do agree that two types of shellies cannot be kept unless the tank is large enough to have separate territories. If I were setting up this tank I would probably do a group of shellies and a pair of julidochromis, along with a midwater dither fish.
lorax84 is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Member
 
rrcoolj's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax84 View Post
As long as the Brichardi are a mated pair they would not kill each other. I don't agree on the Occes either, I have seen 3-4 kept well as long as the M to F ratio is at least 1-1 preferably 1-2. I do agree that two types of shellies cannot be kept unless the tank is large enough to have separate territories. If I were setting up this tank I would probably do a group of shellies and a pair of julidochromis, along with a midwater dither fish.
A mated pair of brichardi kept with anything is a terrible idea unless it is a VERY large tank. These guys are nasty when spawning and will take on fish many times their size to defend their turf. Pound for pound they are one of the most aggressive Africans out there especially as a pair. I wouldn't recommend keeping more than one for the setup. I do agree that a group of one shellie species a pair of julidochromis along with a midwater dither would be a awesome setup.

"responsible fish keeper?... Didn't know there was any other kind"

I am not retarded I just can't spell
rrcoolj is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottom dweller or overstocking? kaythenewbie Catfish 2 11-05-2010 08:53 AM
Glass Catfish - bottom dweller or not? SmallFry Catfish 5 10-04-2010 01:12 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome