Semi Newbie help - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Semi Newbie help

I set up my 55 gallon after 12+ years and added some fish.
Looking for thoughts on the occupants.

1 Electric blue Jack Dempsey 2 inch
1 red tail shark 3 inch
1 pike cichlid 2.75 inch
1 snypsilum 3 inch
1 albino frog small - 1 inch
1 panama red bristle nose pleco 1 inch.

any thoughts?

The shark and pike really go at it.

Cheers!
steelersx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
Welcome to the forum

Am to just jump right in here, in a nutshell the tank is way too small for those fish.

You have some very aggressive fish there in the JD, Pike and the shark.

Depending on what species of Pike cichlid, they can grow up to 14".

To get any sort of calm in that tank, some of those fish will simply have to be rehoused.

10g Fry / Hospital / QT tank (as needed)

75g Saltwater Reef, Ocellaris Clownfish, Lyretail Antias (baby), Lemon damsel, Longtail Fairy Wrasse, purple dottyback, snails, crabs and a few LPS corals.

220g Still sitting empty (come on Lottery I need the numbers to come up!)
Tazman is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
Welcome to the forum

Am to just jump right in here, in a nutshell the tank is way too small for those fish.

You have some very aggressive fish there in the JD, Pike and the shark.

Depending on what species of Pike cichlid, they can grow up to 14".

To get any sort of calm in that tank, some of those fish will simply have to be rehoused.
What size tank would be suitable for those three fish?
steelersx is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM
TFK Moderator
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
The synspilum is going to get 17" so a minimum 125g.
The others would be maximum size around 6-8: depending on what species of Pike cichlid, Pike cichlids are often labelled wrong in stores and sold as a smaller variant when they are actually the big ones getting to 12-".
The fact that you have aggressive species, I would be looking at 75g or 90g. This will allow enough space for each fish to claim a territory of its own.

JD do well in a tank with a sandy or fine gravel bottom as they like to dig.
Red tail sharks require driftwood and vegetation something the JD will munch on.

As the fish are quite small though, with careful monitoring of both the tank (for aggression) and water parameters, you might be able to keep them in a 55g. Be prepared though that if aggression becomes too much, you might have to remove fish, either to a separate tank or back to the store if they will take them.

10g Fry / Hospital / QT tank (as needed)

75g Saltwater Reef, Ocellaris Clownfish, Lyretail Antias (baby), Lemon damsel, Longtail Fairy Wrasse, purple dottyback, snails, crabs and a few LPS corals.

220g Still sitting empty (come on Lottery I need the numbers to come up!)
Tazman is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
The synspilum is going to get 17" so a minimum 125g.
The others would be maximum size around 6-8: depending on what species of Pike cichlid, Pike cichlids are often labelled wrong in stores and sold as a smaller variant when they are actually the big ones getting to 12-".
The fact that you have aggressive species, I would be looking at 75g or 90g. This will allow enough space for each fish to claim a territory of its own.

JD do well in a tank with a sandy or fine gravel bottom as they like to dig.
Red tail sharks require driftwood and vegetation something the JD will munch on.

As the fish are quite small though, with careful monitoring of both the tank (for aggression) and water parameters, you might be able to keep them in a 55g. Be prepared though that if aggression becomes too much, you might have to remove fish, either to a separate tank or back to the store if they will take them.
I think the Pike and the Red Tail shark are going back to the store tomorrow - the EBJD and the Snypsilum will be alone with 3 small schooling fish yet to be purchased.

I have had serious thoughts of a 125 gallon tank.

Joe
steelersx is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersx View Post
I set up my 55 gallon after 12+ years and added some fish.
Looking for thoughts on the occupants.

1 Electric blue Jack Dempsey 2 inch
1 red tail shark 3 inch
1 pike cichlid 2.75 inch
1 snypsilum 3 inch
1 albino frog small - 1 inch
1 panama red bristle nose pleco 1 inch.

any thoughts?

The shark and pike really go at it.

Cheers!

After 13 years I think you and your occupants are just fine.

maintain Fw and marine system with a strong emphasis on balanced, stabilized system that as much as possible are self substaning.

have maintained FW systems for up to 9 years with descendants from original fish and marine aquariums for up to 8 years.

With no water changes, untreated tap water, inexpensive lighting by first starting the tank with live plants (FW) or macro algae( marine)

see: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...-build-295530/
beaslbob is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
I should have mentioned the pike cichlid is a green dwarf.
steelersx is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 PM
TFK Moderator
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
The EBJD is fine in a 55g the Snypsilum is not. They average at least 12-14" and it needs more room than a 55g can provide.

Not to mention they are very peaceful compared to the EBJD so there might be aggression issues.

10g Fry / Hospital / QT tank (as needed)

75g Saltwater Reef, Ocellaris Clownfish, Lyretail Antias (baby), Lemon damsel, Longtail Fairy Wrasse, purple dottyback, snails, crabs and a few LPS corals.

220g Still sitting empty (come on Lottery I need the numbers to come up!)
Tazman is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Member
 
rsskylight04's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersx View Post
I set up my 55 gallon after 12+ years and added some fish.
Looking for thoughts on the occupants.

1 Electric blue Jack Dempsey 2 inch
1 red tail shark 3 inch
1 pike cichlid 2.75 inch
1 snypsilum 3 inch
1 albino frog small - 1 inch
1 panama red bristle nose pleco 1 inch.

any thoughts?

The shark and pike really go at it.

Cheers!
Some dempseys are more calm than others. Ifyou provide LOTS of caves and blind spots you might pull it off. Get rid ot the shark
rsskylight04 is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-23-2013, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Got rid of the shark and bought a 180 gallon tank. Being delivered next weekend.
My Frog vanished into thin air - Crazy
Got some Congo Tetras
Cant wait to set up the new digs.
steelersx is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Semi-planted tank now Obakemono Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 21 12-02-2011 04:17 PM
Semi Newbie Stocking Question qzmhfl Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 05-17-2011 12:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome