Raising Electric Blue Jack Dempseys - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-30-2011, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
paul83's Avatar
 
Raising Electric Blue Jack Dempseys

Looking for any advice on successfully raising EBJDs. I have 3 currently around 3cm (1 1/4"). Have them in my little quarantine tank with daily water changes. Really want them to make it considering how $$$ they are not to mention how stunning they become. Got plenty advice from the breeder but you can never have enough. Advice please
paul83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 01-30-2011, 09:09 AM
I used too have 2 but only have 1 now. Because their cichlids, their pretty hardy but I made the mistake to put them with regular Jack Dempseys and lost the one and was able to get the other one out in time. I feed mine live brine shrimp and bloodworms and doesn't seem to like pellets nearly as much. Mines almost 5 inches. I'd love to see some pictures of yours

"I know you'd rather be sad than stupid. Genius by day, Junkie by night. By the grace of breeze, I never scraped a knee that didn't help me see bleeding isn't what it seems."
~Eyedea
ElectricBlueJackDempsey is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 01-31-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
paul83's Avatar
 
Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey View Post
I used too have 2 but only have 1 now. Because their cichlids, their pretty hardy but I made the mistake to put them with regular Jack Dempseys and lost the one and was able to get the other one out in time. I feed mine live brine shrimp and bloodworms and doesn't seem to like pellets nearly as much. Mines almost 5 inches. I'd love to see some pictures of yours

Here's a few photos, not the best but they are a bit camera shy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5114a.jpg (97.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5116a.jpg (85.0 KB, 52 views)
paul83 is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 01-31-2011, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
paul83's Avatar
 
Getting a new SLR camera soon so will have much better pics soon
paul83 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 01-31-2011, 05:05 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
I have an electric blue dempsey approx two years old. He was approx two inches long and is now close to seven inches.
Never could interest him in pellets but is fond of chopped frozen krill,shrimp,bloodworms,earthworms (favorite) along with freezedried flukers crickets found in reptile section Petco,and tetra color bits.
He shares a 75 gal tank filtered with two emperor 400,s by Marineland and aquaclear 802 powerhead attached to quick filter with three clown loaches and three Yoyo loaches.When he was small, I performed twice weekly water changes and fed him three times a day.
Now he gets once a day feedings along with the loaches and once a week 50 percent water change.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1077 For This Useful Post:
paul83 (02-02-2011)
post #6 of 20 Old 01-31-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
paul83's Avatar
 
Woke up this morning to find 1 of them dead. Worried for the other 2 now.
Posted via Mobile Device
paul83 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 01-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul83 View Post
Woke up this morning to find 1 of them dead. Worried for the other 2 now.
Posted via Mobile Device
What are you feeding them and what are your parameters?

"I know you'd rather be sad than stupid. Genius by day, Junkie by night. By the grace of breeze, I never scraped a knee that didn't help me see bleeding isn't what it seems."
~Eyedea
ElectricBlueJackDempsey is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
paul83's Avatar
 
Only had them a little over 2 days. Fed them baby brine shrimp, bloodworms and cichlid flakes. Ph is 7.4 same as breeder. Had troubles keeping temperature down as it is so hot here. Breeder had them at 25C and I am struggling to keep temp under 30C. At work atm, hopefully the 2 remaining ones are still ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
paul83 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul83 View Post
Only had them a little over 2 days. Fed them baby brine shrimp, bloodworms and cichlid flakes. Ph is 7.4 same as breeder. Had troubles keeping temperature down as it is so hot here. Breeder had them at 25C and I am struggling to keep temp under 30C. At work atm, hopefully the 2 remaining ones are still ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

By most accounts ,not a good survival rate for the Electric blue dempsey's at two inches or smaller.
Would use drip acclimation for any others you may try and with temps you posted,,might consider lowering water level to cretae water fall effect from the filter which will help with oxygen which is lower at warmer temps in the aquarium.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
paul83's Avatar
 
1 left

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
By most accounts ,not a good survival rate for the Electric blue dempsey's at two inches or smaller.
Would use drip acclimation for any others you may try and with temps you posted,,might consider lowering water level to cretae water fall effect from the filter which will help with oxygen which is lower at warmer temps in the aquarium.
Then there was 1. The reason I bought 3 was that I was hoping realistically that 1 would survive. My last EBJB seems to be going well, eats well, active etc. Fingers crossed, I may cry if he dies.
paul83 is offline  
Reply

Tags
electric blue , jack dempsey

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breeding pair of Jack Dempseys yippee Cichlids 9 10-09-2009 01:48 PM
How do you sex jack dempseys? pelopants Cichlids 3 02-16-2009 08:37 PM
Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and Tiger Oscar? Sj45 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 10 01-18-2009 03:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome