New to cichlids.... - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-14-2007, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
New to cichlids....

I'm new to cichlids, so I have a couple questions on housing them. Any advice is appreciated! So here's what I'm wondering...
1. Can a pair of dwarf cichlids (I was thinking Rams, but I'm open to suggestions) fit comfortably in a 10 gallon? I've read several opinions, so I'm not sure if it would work or not.
2. How do they do in a moderatly - heavily planted tank? Will they uproot anything? If this would work out, I could use my 28gal. How many would fit?
3. The last option would be a 20 gallon... Would 2 pairs (one blue ram pair and one gold ram pair) be ok in that size tank? If I go with the 20 gallon, I'd like to move my platys in also. Would this work?

Any suggestions as to what else will work would be great!! thanks.
It'sJames is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2007, 10:20 PM
My choice would be the 28g planted. They will feel very at ease in a plnted tank.
herefishy is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 11-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Member
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Re: New to cichlids....

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sJames
I'm new to cichlids, so I have a couple questions on housing them. Any advice is appreciated! So here's what I'm wondering...
1. Can a pair of dwarf cichlids (I was thinking Rams, but I'm open to suggestions) fit comfortably in a 10 gallon? I've read several opinions, so I'm not sure if it would work or not.
Welcome to Fishforum.com.

A pair can work provided the tank is heavily planted but this is best accomplished in a larger tank anyway. Furthermore, rams are not often forgiving of the extremes in water conditions. A small tank is quite vulnerable to this.

Quote:
2. How do they do in a moderatly - heavily planted tank? Will they uproot anything? If this would work out, I could use my 28gal. How many would fit?
Rams and apistogrammas do not uproot plants. A 28 is fine. A sex ratio of one male and two females will work although two pairs will also work if the tank itself is longer instead of taller.
Quote:
3. The last option would be a 20 gallon... Would 2 pairs (one blue ram pair and one gold ram pair) be ok in that size tank? If I go with the 20 gallon, I'd like to move my platys in also. Would this work?
The whole plan is fine provided the tank is decorated heavily in order for the rams to establish territories without trying to overtake the other.

Sent from my desktop or phone or whatever else I am holding on to

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=48&dateline=125741997  2
I'm ready for the pressure.
The drama and the pleasure!
If there is one thing I want to see here, it's HUMOR.
I believe I can fly!
I believe I can touch the sky!
I think about it every night and day!
I stand in awe of my body.
Lupin is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cichlids at the Zoo watts300 Freshwater Journals 5 04-06-2009 10:54 AM
New TO Cichlids jackwalz Cichlids 5 02-18-2008 11:59 AM
Cichlids. Irish Freshwater Journals 5 02-06-2008 02:24 PM
cichlids swainy Cichlids 10 09-15-2007 03:16 AM
cichlids swainy Fish Breeding 3 08-29-2007 06:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome