Need help with starter fish? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » Need help with starter fish?

Need help with starter fish?

This is a discussion on Need help with starter fish? within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Originally Posted by Boredomb Okay? I have been told that 5 is the number I need for that size tank. If 5 is a ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Electric Yellow Cichlids
Electric Yellow Cichlids
Discus
Discus
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Need help with starter fish?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Okay? I have been told that 5 is the number I need for that size tank. If 5 is a lot then how many would be good for that size tank?

The tank is empty right now well has substrate and some driftwood in it. It has been running for almost 2 days as of right now with a carbon pad soo I could get the tannin color out going to take that pad out tomorrow and I will be getting my plants (40 of them total) I am hoping on wednesday. Plan on planting the tank then. If Cherry barbs are bad cause of fin nipping could you tell me some good fish mates to have in the tank with the Angelfish Please?
thing is with angels, they will be fine at first. Once mature if any pair off then you will have a constant battle in the tank. I did mess up on the cherry barbs. I read cherry barb, but for some reason my mind went to tiger barbs. The cherries should be fine. I keep lots of tetras with my adult pair. Mine have spawned 3 times in that tank and they are only okay doing that since they are the only angels. A breeding pair does not take kindly to other angelfish. The tetras, rainbows, and stuff are fine by just staying away from them. IMO any fish that would challenge a guarding angel would be a problem. Most other fish they are fine with and never bother.
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
 
LasColinasCichlids's Avatar
 
I am going to assume we are talking about Scalave Angel fish as these are the most common and have a wider range of water parameters they can live in.

As far as tankmates go, they must be slower moving fish as to not stress out the slow moving angels...so no fast swimmers, and no nipping fish.

From what I have read, the best tankmates are non-aggressive catfish (such as cories), small-medium loaches, medium characins, larger rasboras...and for specific fish I hear Diamond Tetra and Congo Tetra are good tank matches (these both require groups themselves).

I have never owned those types of tetras as they are larger and I dont have the tank size for them, but they are beautiful fish and would look great with angels!

As far as angels in groups, yes it is adviced 4-5 or more. However, a mated pair would work I have heard as well. ( <--- You probably want someone VERY familiar with angels and who currently owns them in a mated group and/or groups to give you their experiences regarding this...or one of the awesome moderators who know a lot of great info!)

Also remember not to house anything too small with the angels or they can/will become food.

Hope this helped some!!!

Last edited by LasColinasCichlids; 03-27-2011 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: grammar correction
LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
 
Black widow tetra - I think these are a great looking fish. However, as with most of the other tetras it says they can be nippy. The profile does say they are compatible with angels and that they can withstand the rigors of a cycling tank. I would recommend getting 6 or so to keep them from nipping at first. My serpae tetras say they are nippy as well but I seem to have them in a large enough group(14) that they only chase their own, and they are a very active and beautiful fish in my mind as well.

As it says above 5 angels might be too many but a mated pair might be ok. Don't trust me on this as I have no experience with angels.
deman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
[quote=Jenna28;631129]Mikaila- please see my correction above, I suggested 5 cherry barbs, not 5 angelfish.

The cherry barbs don't get too nippy as long as they are kept in an appropriately sized group (about 5 or 6 minimum).[/QUOTE
I know u suggested 5 cherry barbs six would probably be better that way u can have equal amounts of sex? But I have also been told by others on this forum that it is good to have 5 Anglefish as a group for my size tank. Now being told something different am getting confused LoL I will say this I am looking to have a 55 gallon planted tank with angelfish and the hope of it being a community tank if that is possible. The species of fish other then angelfish is not that important to me as long as they can coexist with each other. Also have read that is not a good idea to cycle a tank with angelfish Soo was looking for some fish that as well as good tank mates for angelfish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
 
LasColinasCichlids's Avatar
 
Have you considered a fishless cycle if you are focused on the angels? That way you wouldnt have to worry about whether or not they would get along with the angels (or vice versa)...and that way having JUST 5 angels wont be so much stress on stocking/bioload.

And no, you would NOT want to cycle a tank with angelfish.

Diamond tetras in a group of 6 should be able to go through a cycle if its planted like you are talking about, and they would be fine with the angels, and diamond tetra only get like 2.5 inches...and they are very pretty when they mature. Diamond tetra is also pretty easy to come by, I have seen them at a few Petsmarts.
LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #16
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids View Post
Have you considered a fishless cycle if you are focused on the angels? That way you wouldnt have to worry about whether or not they would get along with the angels (or vice versa)...and that way having JUST 5 angels wont be so much stress on stocking/bioload.

And no, you would NOT want to cycle a tank with angelfish.

Diamond tetras in a group of 6 should be able to go through a cycle if its planted like you are talking about, and they would be fine with the angels, and diamond tetra only get like 2.5 inches...and they are very pretty when they mature. Diamond tetra is also pretty easy to come by, I have seen them at a few Petsmarts.
I have thouht about a fishless cycle but not sure about that with a planted tank? I don't have to have 5 angelfish was just told that is the number I needed to have as group. Angelfish is just what I want to center the tank around want the tank to be a community tank with the right numbers or groups of fish for their species. does that make sense?
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #17
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids View Post
I am going to assume we are talking about Scalave Angel fish as these are the most common and have a wider range of water parameters they can live in.
Btw yes this is species of angel I was talking about.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #18
 
If you plant the tank densely and give the plants a bit to adjust then adding a small bioload should be fine and you will avoid the cycle. This depends on your plants growing since they will be consuming the ammonia till your filter establishes.

As I stated you will be fine with the group of angels initially, but if two choose to pair you can no longer keep all 5 in a 55gallon. The general rule is 1 angel per 10 gallons. You will have some room left over for a school of small fish, but not a lot. Angels may look small at the store, but they get quite large. You could buy two and hope they pair(if not you need to swap one out), you could have one angel, or you could try the school.
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #19
 
LasColinasCichlids's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
I have thouht about a fishless cycle but not sure about that with a planted tank? I don't have to have 5 angelfish was just told that is the number I needed to have as group. Angelfish is just what I want to center the tank around want the tank to be a community tank with the right numbers or groups of fish for their species. does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. And I think that is a great idea.

A shrimp in a biobag or nylons in the tank for the fishless cycle would be fine with a planted tank, it certainly wont hurt.
With a heavily planted tank (like 80% or more) you probably wont see much of a cycle from my understanding.

Once you get it all planted and running, either add the bag with the shrimp (not a live shrimp, one you buy at the grocery store), or pick up a school of fish you have chosen to go with the angels. Then after verifying the tank has cycled and water parameters are where they need be, go get your angels (all at the same time to avoid extra aggression issues).

With angels, you can also keep cories, if that is something you were interested in doing (not any of the dwarfs though, as angels will see them as food). And if the tank is planted enough, the cories should be fine being put in during the beginning, as again, the cycle will be much less drastic than a light or non-planted tank (such as mine).

I agree that the way you keep angels is up to you, be it single, mated pair, or small school.

In my own personal likings, I think a 55 gal would be beautiful with a nice pair of angels (or small school), a group of 6-8 med-large cories, and a school of something like a medium tetra like the Diamond Tetra I mentioned previously. (I keep going back to the Diamond tetra because I know they work with angels and such, not because I am trying to persuade you to get them...lol...they just pop in my head as a quick referral choice.)

Let us know what you decide, and please provide a pic once it is all up and running. :)
LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #20
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids View Post
Yes, that makes sense. And I think that is a great idea.

A shrimp in a biobag or nylons in the tank for the fishless cycle would be fine with a planted tank, it certainly wont hurt.
With a heavily planted tank (like 80% or more) you probably wont see much of a cycle from my understanding.

Once you get it all planted and running, either add the bag with the shrimp (not a live shrimp, one you buy at the grocery store), or pick up a school of fish you have chosen to go with the angels. Then after verifying the tank has cycled and water parameters are where they need be, go get your angels (all at the same time to avoid extra aggression issues).

With angels, you can also keep cories, if that is something you were interested in doing (not any of the dwarfs though, as angels will see them as food). And if the tank is planted enough, the cories should be fine being put in during the beginning, as again, the cycle will be much less drastic than a light or non-planted tank (such as mine).

I agree that the way you keep angels is up to you, be it single, mated pair, or small school.

In my own personal likings, I think a 55 gal would be beautiful with a nice pair of angels (or small school), a group of 6-8 med-large cories, and a school of something like a medium tetra like the Diamond Tetra I mentioned previously. (I keep going back to the Diamond tetra because I know they work with angels and such, not because I am trying to persuade you to get them...lol...they just pop in my head as a quick referral choice.)

Let us know what you decide, and please provide a pic once it is all up and running. :)
Thanks Soo much for the help!! Am curious about the whole shrimp in biobag or nylons though? What purpose does a died shrimp serve?
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not just a starter fish Inga Freshwater Journals 22 06-13-2010 06:32 PM
Starter Fish For Ten Gallon MsFrosty Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 04-05-2009 06:58 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 AM.