need compatible "food scraper" cleaning fish in oscar tank
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » need compatible "food scraper" cleaning fish in oscar tank

need compatible "food scraper" cleaning fish in oscar tank

This is a discussion on need compatible "food scraper" cleaning fish in oscar tank within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Howdy. My 150+ gallon tank is filled with 2x tiger oscars, 6x silver dollars. I just bought them at the pet store and they're ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Bolivian Ram
Bolivian Ram
Discus
Discus
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
need compatible "food scraper" cleaning fish in oscar tank
Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
 
need compatible "food scraper" cleaning fish in oscar tank

Howdy.

My 150+ gallon tank is filled with 2x tiger oscars, 6x silver dollars. I just bought them at the pet store and they're less than 3-4" each.

I am looking to add some type of cleaning fish that eats up all the wastes/leftover food that the other fishes leave out and settle onto the gravel.

Any recommendations?
unlimitedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
 
iamntbatman's Avatar
 
There's no such thing as a "cleaning fish" really. Any fish you add to the tank is going to add to your bioload, not reduce it. Bottom dwelling fish like a pleco will eat foods that land on the aquarium floor, but they won't eat fish poop or rotting food, and produce a lot of waste themselves. In order to clean this stuff up, you really just need to do gravel vacs on a regular basis.

However, if you're looking for a bottom dweller that will work with the fish you've got, you want something large enough not to get eaten and tough enough to defend itself in need be. I would suggest a larger pleco like a sailfin, a larger species of synodontis catfish, or a school of larger loaches like Botia modesta.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
There's no such thing as a "cleaning fish" really. Any fish you add to the tank is going to add to your bioload, not reduce it. Bottom dwelling fish like a pleco will eat foods that land on the aquarium floor, but they won't eat fish poop or rotting food, and produce a lot of waste themselves. In order to clean this stuff up, you really just need to do gravel vacs on a regular basis.

However, if you're looking for a bottom dweller that will work with the fish you've got, you want something large enough not to get eaten and tough enough to defend itself in need be. I would suggest a larger pleco like a sailfin, a larger species of synodontis catfish, or a school of larger loaches like Botia modesta.
Thanks for your input! I went to petsmart and purchased 2x pictus catfishes. They're great!
unlimitedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
 
I was thinking you would like pictus', but i think an albino channel cat is tougher and they eat round the clock whereas the pictus caves it for most of the day.
catfishtabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishtabbi View Post
I was thinking you would like pictus', but i think an albino channel cat is tougher and they eat round the clock whereas the pictus caves it for most of the day.
Ah, that would have been awesome too. I loved how active the pictus catfishes were once I released them. Now they're sleeping!
unlimitedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
 
They didn't do such a good job of eating the bits of food that sink to the bottom. Boo.
unlimitedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
 
onefish2fish's Avatar
 
gravel vac-ing w/ water changes and avoiding over feeding is what is going to prevent this
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
 
I am a complete newb, so I wouldn't know if this is true but I was told at the pet shop for a fish called "upside-down" :D It is supposed to eat from the gravel in the tank
GConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
 
xDoctor Bob's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GConn View Post
I am a complete newb, so I wouldn't know if this is true but I was told at the pet shop for a fish called "upside-down" :D It is supposed to eat from the gravel in the tank
There is such thing as an upside down catfish, but I am not sure if it eats off the gravel.
xDoctor Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
 
jeaninel's Avatar
 
Synodontis nigriventris is commonly called the upside down catfish. I know they like to feed off the surface. Not sure if they eat off the gravel though.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LFS says buy a "starter fish" to cycle tank. Cruel? Killgore Trout Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 6 05-17-2009 11:13 PM
2 20gal tanks need extreme cleaning "help" KrisRogers Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 15 02-08-2009 05:37 PM
Want to get get a "fish tank" - Starter Help mdywglr4x4 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 06-24-2008 11:54 AM
How to avoid that "I have a fish tank" smell dprUsh83 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 10-24-2006 10:22 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.