Krib and Ram???? - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » Krib and Ram????

Krib and Ram????

This is a discussion on Krib and Ram???? within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Originally Posted by dylan94 OK OK OK I know I just said I was obsessed with Apistogramma Agasizzi but I did more research and ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Checkerboard Cichlid
Checkerboard Cichlid
Discus
Discus
Reply
Old 01-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #21
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan94 View Post
OK OK OK I know I just said I was obsessed with Apistogramma Agasizzi but I did more research and found that they are a bit sensitive and slightly harder to care for than other dwarf cichlids... but while doing research I found Apistogramma Cacatuoides, they are close cousins of the agassizis but they are less sensitive and their water parameter requirements are almost exact to my tank. Not to mention they are BEAUTIFUL!!! I know I saw cockatoo cichlids at my LFS, I just didn't pay much attention to them because I thought they were an african cichlid because of where their tank was. I think I am sticking with this species. What do you think?
Aside from some being more particular respecting water parameters, most of the species in Apistogramma are similar in their needs, so one male to 2 or 3 females works well, in a planted tank with bits of bogwood. "Dither" fish as they are called can include any of the small peaceful SA characins (tetras, hatchets, pencilfish) and corydoras, or some of the small but interesting bottom fish. Obviously all these have to be suited to your water as well, some are and some less so. But you get the idea.

The males are always the more colourful, and in many species the caudal fins are distinctive with extended filaments, etc. Females tend to be generally yellowish in background colour in many of the species, though not all. If there are several in a tank at the store, observe them for several minutes and look for males that will be somewhat more "pushy," and females that generally will keep to themselves or be close to a male. Small fish do not always have the distinctive colouration and close observation will often allow you to decide which is which just by their interactions.

A while back I posted a link to an interesting video of many of these fish in their native habitat in SA, here it is as I think it may interest you. The narrative is in German, but you can tell from the visual what is what. The first part is a bit slow with touristy things, but the latter part is filmed underwater with wonderful scenes of interactions and breeding/fry care by several dwarf Apistogramma species.
http://www.aquanet.tv/Video/173

Byron.

Last edited by Byron; 01-02-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
 
dylan94's Avatar
 
Well, the video can't load on my computer (don't know why) but I am sure it would've been interesting... I really want to watch it now :( Anyways, so I think I will just get any one of the species in apistogramma (agasizzi, cacatuoides, etc.) I will get 1 male and 2 females. Just a question regarding the rainwater method... Just to be sure, it should lower my pH right... I will probably do a test on my rainwater before putting in it anyways, also it is snowing now, could I just take some clean snow and let it melt? or does it have to be rain. i think I am going to also add more plants to my tank. I currently dont have any live plants. I know nothing about aquarium plants could yo help me? I'm pretty sure java ferns just sink to the bottom, but im not sure. Are their any plants that can just be put in the tank without burying them and planting them in... also do I need some kind of special light or stuff to add to my tank... my tank is very oxygenated... there are tons of bubbles all the time from the filter water coming back into the tank, don't aquatic plants need CO2... as you can see I am hopeless so any info now will help... BTW you are like the biggest help EVER, Byron :)
dylan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #23
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan94 View Post
Well, the video can't load on my computer (don't know why) but I am sure it would've been interesting... I really want to watch it now :( Anyways, so I think I will just get any one of the species in apistogramma (agasizzi, cacatuoides, etc.) I will get 1 male and 2 females. Just a question regarding the rainwater method... Just to be sure, it should lower my pH right... I will probably do a test on my rainwater before putting in it anyways, also it is snowing now, could I just take some clean snow and let it melt? or does it have to be rain. i think I am going to also add more plants to my tank. I currently dont have any live plants. I know nothing about aquarium plants could yo help me? I'm pretty sure java ferns just sink to the bottom, but im not sure. Are their any plants that can just be put in the tank without burying them and planting them in... also do I need some kind of special light or stuff to add to my tank... my tank is very oxygenated... there are tons of bubbles all the time from the filter water coming back into the tank, don't aquatic plants need CO2... as you can see I am hopeless so any info now will help... BTW you are like the biggest help EVER, Byron :)
Odd about the video, that link is the website, you then wait a bit and have to click the arrow within the box.

Rain/snow is acidic. It would take a lot of snow compared to rain, but I assume it will work. Java Fern has to be attached to wood or rock, it will then root itself to those items. Anubias is the same. Substrate rooted plants are not difficult, some of the swords would work and they can manage in harder water. You'll have to calm down the filter, allthose bubbles will drive out the CO2. What light is on the tank now?
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #24
 
dylan94's Avatar
 
I just have a cover with a fluorescent light bulb. It is like 25 watts. It isn't an aquarium lightbulb it is just a normal lightbulb that I bought at Home Depot. It is one of those long fluorescent 2' long bulbs ( i dont know how long it really is). I know my LFS has some lightbulbs for aquariums that say "to maximize plant health and growth" and things like that, do I need one of those for plants to live in my aquarium? The filter only makes bubbles when the water level drops and the filtered water pours into the tank, thus making many many bubbles, so if I keep the water level higher it shouldn't be a problem. Do kribs, tiger barbs, swordtails ottos or apistos uproot plants or destroy plants? i was thinking of a few java ferns, some amazon swords, java moss and some other easy plant that suits my aquarium. does that sound OK? Just to be clear, I just have to attatch the plants to a rock or wood and they will eventually grow roots around the rock/wood? One last thing: do aquatic plants seed, and if they do can I harvest the seeds and grow them to more plants?
-Thanks Dylan
dylan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #25
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
I just have a cover with a fluorescent light bulb. It is like 25 watts. It isn't an aquarium lightbulb it is just a normal lightbulb that I bought at Home Depot. It is one of those long fluorescent 2' long bulbs ( i dont know how long it really is). I know my LFS has some lightbulbs for aquariums that say "to maximize plant health and growth" and things like that, do I need one of those for plants to live in my aquarium?
No, you don't need a special tube, but you do need a good tube. There is only one tube over this tank, so it has to be the correct type. The problem with those "plant" or "aqua" type tubes is the purplish colour they give to the aquarium. The colours of the fish and plants are not natural, and I have found the light intensity is not as strong, though I haven't personally done tests to determine the extent. I just don't like the look so I toss them in the recycling if they come with a new fixture and buy the tubes I know will work. Which are full spectrum or "daylight" tubes. You can buy these at Home Depot, made either by Phillips or Sylvannia, I use them and have for 15 years. The "daylight deluxe" or "enhanced daylight" or some similar name at the ones. They work fine.

Quote:
The filter only makes bubbles when the water level drops and the filtered water pours into the tank, thus making many many bubbles, so if I keep the water level higher it shouldn't be a problem.
You want as little water movement as possible, and very little or no surface movement. Some won't hurt, but the less the better.

Quote:
Do kribs, tiger barbs, swordtails ottos or apistos uproot plants or destroy plants?
No.

Quote:
i was thinking of a few java ferns, some amazon swords, java moss and some other easy plant that suits my aquarium. does that sound OK?
Sounds good, those are easy plants and the swords are good growing plants so good water "filters".

Quote:
Just to be clear, I just have to attatch the plants to a rock or wood and they will eventually grow roots around the rock/wood?
Java Fern and Java Moss will do this, yes. Swords have substrate roots that have to be planted in the gravel.

Quote:
One last thing: do aquatic plants seed, and if they do can I harvest the seeds and grow them to more plants?
They will, but not usually in an aquarium. Most of the aquarium plants are true bog plants in nature, growing submersed (under water) half the year and emersed (above water with the roots in swamp/marsh like substrate) half the year. They flower (those that flower) and seed during the emersed period. Swords, crypts, aponogeton all do this. Stem plants usually reach the surface and may flower and seed above the surface. But in the aquarium conditions are usually not good enough for this. Floating plants will flower (if they produce flowers, some plants like mosses do not). Many send out runners (swords do this) and new plants readily appear, some produce new plants on the leaves (Java Fern).

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #26
 
dylan94's Avatar
 
That was very helpful, thank you! just one question: You said that amazon swords have to be planted in the gravel, can they be buried in sand? my substrate is sand for the aquarium, so it will work best. I read a lot about java moss and I think I will just get one plant since they grow quickly and reproduce so much that people need to tear out handfulls of it just so their fish can have some swimming space. Here is my plant list:
- 1 java moss
-2 java fern
-2 sword plants (amazon or not)
I like the idea of the tank being filled with plants and also maybe some swordtail fry and tiger barb fry will survive in the java moss. I am so excited, I am going to get my plants now :). I will post when I get back.
:D :D :D :D
- Thanks Byron
-dylan
dylan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #27
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan94 View Post
That was very helpful, thank you! just one question: You said that amazon swords have to be planted in the gravel, can they be buried in sand? my substrate is sand for the aquarium, so it will work best. I read a lot about java moss and I think I will just get one plant since they grow quickly and reproduce so much that people need to tear out handfulls of it just so their fish can have some swimming space. Here is my plant list:
- 1 java moss
-2 java fern
-2 sword plants (amazon or not)
I like the idea of the tank being filled with plants and also maybe some swordtail fry and tiger barb fry will survive in the java moss. I am so excited, I am going to get my plants now :). I will post when I get back.
:D :D :D :D
- Thanks Byron
-dylan
Yes, sand is OK. Make sure it is deep enough where the swords are planted, 3 inches minimum, swords have extensive root systems. The sand (just like gravel) can be sloped from front to back to have it deeper at the back; or use a piece of rock or wood to make a terrace. For fry hiding floating plants work best. I don't think Java Moss floats, it tends to sink. Any stem plant left floating will work for this. Good luck Dylan.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #28
 
dylan94's Avatar
 
Well, when I got to my LFS it was closed :( I will have to go back tomorrow or some other day this week... For the java moss to float, you have to attatch it to a cork or something that does float, also the can attatch themselves to the glass, filters, heater, other plants, anything really. I'm frustrated, i really wanted to get some plants and apistos today :( My LFS is open till 9pm tomorrow so I will most likely go tomorrow. :) yay :)
dylan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #29
 
iamntbatman's Avatar
 
WAIT! WAIT WAIT WAIT!

Topics like this one always terrify me because I'm afraid by the time I reach the last post of the thread it will have been too late.

There's a BIG difference between mixing dwarf cichlids and adding dwarf cichlids to tanks with already established breeding pairs of other dwarf cichlids. I tried to add a GBR to my 29g community with my established krib pair...that GBR wouldn't have lasted more than 30 seconds had I not netted him right out. A seemingly docile pair of kribs (I'm sure you've seen them gently chase away non-cichlids from their nesting site and fry) can turn into absolute monsters when faced with other cichlids or fish perceived as cichlids. At one point I had my pair separated in two different tanks and the male would somewhat tolerate the GBR being in the same tank (although they definitely had their own territories) but the female, since becoming part of a breeding pair, will absolutely not tolerate the sight of any other dwarf cichlids other than her partner and her offspring and will kill any intruders.

If you have other tanks with immediate vacancies, you can try your plan and see what happens but be prepared to net those newcomers and move to plan B. If you don't have anywhere else you can put them...well, I just don't think it's worth the risk.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #30
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamntbatman View Post
WAIT! WAIT WAIT WAIT!

Topics like this one always terrify me because I'm afraid by the time I reach the last post of the thread it will have been too late.

There's a BIG difference between mixing dwarf cichlids and adding dwarf cichlids to tanks with already established breeding pairs of other dwarf cichlids. I tried to add a GBR to my 29g community with my established krib pair...that GBR wouldn't have lasted more than 30 seconds had I not netted him right out. A seemingly docile pair of kribs (I'm sure you've seen them gently chase away non-cichlids from their nesting site and fry) can turn into absolute monsters when faced with other cichlids or fish perceived as cichlids. At one point I had my pair separated in two different tanks and the male would somewhat tolerate the GBR being in the same tank (although they definitely had their own territories) but the female, since becoming part of a breeding pair, will absolutely not tolerate the sight of any other dwarf cichlids other than her partner and her offspring and will kill any intruders.

If you have other tanks with immediate vacancies, you can try your plan and see what happens but be prepared to net those newcomers and move to plan B. If you don't have anywhere else you can put them...well, I just don't think it's worth the risk.
That's good advice. I had forgotten this is a 29g tank. It also points out what was mentioned in another thread about fish changing behaviours due to specific circumstances, well worth remembering. B.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sexing Krib xDarkPassenger Cichlids 3 02-10-2010 05:06 AM
Friends for my Krib SRK Cichlids 3 01-14-2010 04:12 PM
need help with sexing a krib mdtaylor Cichlids 4 11-25-2009 09:04 PM
Krib fry dylan94 Fish Breeding 2 07-07-2009 10:20 PM
Please help me SAVE MY KRIB? gilfish Cichlids 4 05-31-2007 05:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.