Identify This Cichlid Please - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-12-2010, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
paul83's Avatar
 
Identify This Cichlid Please

Bought this Cichlid from petstore as a texas but it looks suspiciously like a jack dempsey. It's just under 2 inches long. If it is a JD they have ripped me off as the Texas' are more expensive. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41264_452228133342_664103342_6474428_7801285_n.jpg (59.9 KB, 60 views)
paul83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul83 View Post
Bought this Cichlid from petstore as a texas but it looks suspiciously like a jack dempsey. It's just under 2 inches long. If it is a JD they have ripped me off as the Texas' are more expensive. Let me know what you think.

Does appear to be young Texas cichlid to me considering markings and shape of head. They do closely resemble young dempsey's but having kept a few of both, I don't usually see verticle bars with the young Dempsey's that the Texas cichlids often display.
Do be aware that the Ram cichlid also pictured ,enjoys (thrives) in much softer water and much warmer water than that which the Texas cichlid enjoys. Not to mention that the Texas Cichlid is much more aggressive than the ram and I would not expect a happy outcome if both are left in the same tank for very long.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.

Last edited by 1077; 08-13-2010 at 12:39 AM.
1077 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 1077 For This Useful Post:
paul83 (08-17-2010)
post #3 of 7 Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
paul83's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Does appear to be young Texas cichlid to me considering markings and shape of head. They do closely resemble young dempsey's but having kept a few of both, I don't usually see verticle bars with the young Dempsey's that the Texas cichlids often display.
Do be aware that the Ram cichlid also pictured ,enjoys (thrives) in much softer water and much warmer water than that which the Texas cichlid enjoys. Not to mention that the Texas Cichlid is much more aggressive than the ram and I would not expect a happy outcome if both are left in the same tank for very long.
Thanks for your message and your help. Unfortunately for me the rams (2 - male & female) were an impulse buy as I usually do a bit of research before buying fish. So far the rams are doing quite well and are showing a lot more colour than shown in that photo. I have even seen 1 of the rams chase the texas but like you said I'm sure that will change overtime. I have a another 4 foot tank lying around doing nothing just incase things turn nasty.
paul83 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM
you shouldn't have to worry very much knowing Blue Rams only live about 1-2 years in aquariums. They will be gone before the texas cichlid will be able to consume them.
ElectricBlueJackDempsey is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBlueJackDempsey View Post
you shouldn't have to worry very much knowing Blue Rams only live about 1-2 years in aquariums. They will be gone before the texas cichlid will be able to consume them.
I would agree that the German blue/gold rams candle burns all too quickly, but with proper care they can live to four years.
A healthy Texas cichlid at one year ,should be in the neighborhood of eight inches long and could easily consume the ram.
As juvenile, The Texas would not need to be able to eat the ram, It would/could, simply kill it and may or may not consume the remains.
In any event,, The two fishes don't belong together due to differing water chemistry requirements and Temperment. IMHO

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
paul83's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I would agree that the German blue/gold rams candle burns all too quickly, but with proper care they can live to four years.
A healthy Texas cichlid at one year ,should be in the neighborhood of eight inches long and could easily consume the ram.
As juvenile, The Texas would not need to be able to eat the ram, It would/could, simply kill it and may or may not consume the remains.
In any event,, The two fishes don't belong together due to differing water chemistry requirements and Temperment. IMHO
'Tex' is starting to establish himself as the boss of the aquarium although none of the fish hide from him yet. The Blue Rams are actually doing quite well (as far as I can tell) the male is especially colourful. They do get chased by my 2 Firemouths every now and then, but they are not harassed. Time will tell.
paul83 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 08-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul83 View Post
'Tex' is starting to establish himself as the boss of the aquarium although none of the fish hide from him yet. The Blue Rams are actually doing quite well (as far as I can tell) the male is especially colourful. They do get chased by my 2 Firemouths every now and then, but they are not harassed. Time will tell.
Indeed.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
Reply

Tags
cichlid , jack dempsey , texas

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a creepy fish cichlid photo. plus others of cichlid fry redchigh Freshwater Journals 2 02-24-2010 12:38 PM
Small Cichlid with Medium Cichlid andrewr2488 Cichlids 6 12-14-2009 05:55 AM
Help Identify JD? EmoJellyfish Cichlids 11 09-17-2009 04:47 PM
Can anybody identify this please. bhone20 Ancient Fish 4 10-30-2008 07:56 PM
Identify plz pouyan Cichlids 2 02-21-2007 05:06 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome