firemouth tank mates?? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » firemouth tank mates??

firemouth tank mates??

This is a discussion on firemouth tank mates?? within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Originally Posted by Tigris Red Fin Loach? If you mean the Red Tailed Shark, possibly, a single fish. These do not usually get along ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Discus
Discus
Leopold Angelfish
Leopold Angelfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
firemouth tank mates??
Old 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
Red Fin Loach?
If you mean the Red Tailed Shark, possibly, a single fish. These do not usually get along with other substrate fish, and can take a dislike to upper fish too. And one fish for the substrate in this large a tank is limiting your options a lot. One of the more peaceful true loach species would be better, some of them are not too rough though they can be active; they need a group but there is space.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
 
I don't have my book on me but there is a loach that has the looks of a rainbow shark but gets about 6 in. I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
I don't have my book on me but there is a loach that has the looks of a rainbow shark but gets about 6 in. I believe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Perhaps you mean this fish (photo below), Yasuhikotakia modesta which is sometimes commonly called the Blue Botia, Redtail Botia, or Red-Finned Loach, according to Loaches Online. It can attain 10 inches, though LO says 7 inches is more usual in aquaria. It needs a group, and thus lots of space. And it has quite a vigorous interaction within the group; LO suggests it not be kept with sedate fish but only with larger fast-moving, free-swimming fish like some of the larger barbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue Botia.jpg (51.9 KB, 12 views)
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Perhaps you mean this fish (photo below), Yasuhikotakia modesta which is sometimes commonly called the Blue Botia, Redtail Botia, or Red-Finned Loach, according to Loaches Online. It can attain 10 inches, though LO says 7 inches is more usual in aquaria. It needs a group, and thus lots of space. And it has quite a vigorous interaction within the group; LO suggests it not be kept with sedate fish but only with larger fast-moving, free-swimming fish like some of the larger barbs.
That's him, saw a couple at the LFS yesterday, made me think about them
Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigris View Post
That's him, saw a couple at the LFS yesterday, made me think about them
I just noted that this species is in our profiles, so have a read of that. Click the shaded name in the last post.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firemouth trying to breed?I also want to know if my tank is over stocked. Phillip J Cichlids 3 07-02-2012 05:32 PM
Firemouth tank mates Philnominal Cichlids 15 12-23-2011 08:32 PM
Adding Angelfish to my Firemouth tank? TxFrog Cichlids 13 09-24-2010 08:53 AM
Bolty,discus,tank & tank mates + tangs,syno's & lava bolty Cichlids 13 03-01-2007 12:37 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.