Cloudy Tank
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » Cloudy Tank

Cloudy Tank

This is a discussion on Cloudy Tank within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Hi, I'm fairly new to keeping fish so i'll try and give as much information as possible. We currently have a 500l tank that ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Scalare Angelfish
Scalare Angelfish
Electric Yellow Cichlids
Electric Yellow Cichlids
Reply
Old 07-04-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
 
Cloudy Tank

Hi, I'm fairly new to keeping fish so i'll try and give as much information as possible.

We currently have a 500l tank that has been running fro 5 months now. It has a UV filter that is 100l above what we need, we also have a water pump in the tank. We have rocks and sand. After 4 weeks we put 6 cichlids in the tank. We then added a further 6 4 weeks later and 4 weeks after that we added 2 more, plus 2 plecs and a catfish. We feed them once a day, and only enough for what they can eat in a few mins. We have 8 small Nerite snails, which are fantastic in cleaning the algae. All seemed fine.

Then around 6-7 weeks ago we noticed the water started to become cloudy. We were doing weekly partial water changes up to then, on the advice from the local aquatic center. WE then did a 50% water change, plus cleaned out the filter. This did nothing to solve the problem. We then went back for advice, and he told us not to change the water as this was not helping the bacteria bloom.

The problem is that it still has not improved, we have left it for 4 weeks now, and no change. We check the water every other day and all levels are totally fine. Fish are healthy and seems happy.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Bex2011xx; 07-04-2012 at 05:31 AM..
Bex2011xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex2011xx View Post
Hi, I'm fairly new to keeping fish so i'll try and give as much information as possible.

We currently have a 500l tank that has been running fro 5 months now. It has a UV filter that is 100l above what we need, we also have a water pump in the tank. We have rocks and sand. After 4 weeks we put 6 cichlids in the tank. We then added a further 6 4 weeks later and 4 weeks after that we added 2 more, plus 2 plecs and a catfish. We feed them once a day, and only enough for what they can eat in a few mins. We have 8 small Nerite snails, which are fantastic in cleaning the algae. All seemed fine.

Then around 6-7 weeks ago we noticed the water started to become cloudy. We were doing weekly partial water changes up to then, on the advice from the local aquatic center. WE then did a 50% water change, plus cleaned out the filter. This did nothing to solve the problem. We then went back for advice, and he told us not to change the water as this was not helping the bacteria bloom.

The problem is that it still has not improved, we have left it for 4 weeks now, and no change. We check the water every other day and all levels are totally fine. Fish are healthy and seems happy.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance
That would be frustrating! Be careful about cleaning out your filter. Since your tank is still new, you don't want to be cleaning your filter media in anything but tank water. Some will tell you that it will eventually clear on its own, if left. But, if it were me, I'd take out your carbon (if you use it) and replace with Purigen by Seachem. It's purpose is to make water clear and it does work well. I've never used carbon, but tried this product because my tanks both started to look slightly cloudy. I guess it had lots of organics in the water. One tank had tons on plants I pulled out (to make it a brackish tank) and I put them in my other tank, that already had plants. I'm guessing all the disruption of the sand created a cloudy tinge. I put Purigen in cut piece of pantyhose (or you can buy a mesh bag), put it in my filter, and now have clear water. That's my best suggestion :) Good luck. You can find Purigen on Amazon or in most pet stores/fish stores.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GwenInNM For This Useful Post:
Bex2011xx (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
That would be frustrating! Be careful about cleaning out your filter. Since your tank is still new, you don't want to be cleaning your filter media in anything but tank water. Some will tell you that it will eventually clear on its own, if left. But, if it were me, I'd take out your carbon (if you use it) and replace with Purigen by Seachem. It's purpose is to make water clear and it does work well. I've never used carbon, but tried this product because my tanks both started to look slightly cloudy. I guess it had lots of organics in the water. One tank had tons on plants I pulled out (to make it a brackish tank) and I put them in my other tank, that already had plants. I'm guessing all the disruption of the sand created a cloudy tinge. I put Purigen in cut piece of pantyhose (or you can buy a mesh bag), put it in my filter, and now have clear water. That's my best suggestion :) Good luck. You can find Purigen on Amazon or in most pet stores/fish stores.

Gwen
Thank you i will try that, will try anything to be honest, its so frustrating as i look at previous pictures of the tank and it looked amazing. I don't clean anything in the tank with anything other than the tank water. Seems to get a little bit better (not great but better) then goes back to being very milky.
Thanks for your advice :)
Bex2011xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex2011xx View Post
Thank you i will try that, will try anything to be honest, its so frustrating as i look at previous pictures of the tank and it looked amazing. I don't clean anything in the tank with anything other than the tank water. Seems to get a little bit better (not great but better) then goes back to being very milky.
Thanks for your advice :)
Let me know how it works for you.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
What lights do you have on the tank and how long are they on for?
how often do you feed the fish?

The cloudiness could be caused by a free floating algae bloom.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
What lights do you have on the tank and how long are they on for?
how often do you feed the fish?

The cloudiness could be caused by a free floating algae bloom.
I can't remember the exact light we have in there. But its on from 8am till 9pm, we feed the fish once a day in the evening, just enough so its all gone within a few mins. We feed them flakes, and also 2 pellets for the plecs. We thought that too, but the cloudiness is not green its milky and i can see white bits floating around.
I'm gutted as this tank cost a fortune and it looked so good a few months back
Bex2011xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
It can still be an algae bloom. The lighting is in my opinion on for way too long. Perhaps reduce the schedule to 8-9 hours a day instead of 13.

Adding the Purigen may help as well as doing small partial water changes.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
 
Ok thanks, i'll give that a go. I was told it was a bacteria bloom as its milky and not a greenish color. How often and how much would you do the water changes? I'm willing to try anything
Bex2011xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
 
Tazman's Avatar
 
Small amounts daily may help the problem as well as less amount of light.

The purigen once you get it should help out a lot.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tazman For This Useful Post:
Bex2011xx (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman View Post
Small amounts daily may help the problem as well as less amount of light.

The purigen once you get it should help out a lot.
Totally agree with Tazman. Put your light schedule back to 8 hours, 9 at most. Also, welcome to the forum

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GwenInNM For This Useful Post:
Bex2011xx (07-04-2012)
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloudy tank help. oscar fish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 06-30-2012 11:33 AM
Very cloudy tank Oscarfish789 Cichlids 6 02-28-2012 12:05 AM
cloudy tank help eighty80 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 23 05-05-2010 03:50 AM
Cloudy Tank beachgurl1988 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 6 03-04-2009 01:44 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.