Cichlid Lake Salt
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » Cichlid Lake Salt

Cichlid Lake Salt

This is a discussion on Cichlid Lake Salt within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Does anyone use the Cichlid Lake Salt? I have a 90 gal that I will be adding some Malawis and maybe some Victorians too. ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Scalare Angelfish
Scalare Angelfish
Bolivian Ram
Bolivian Ram
Reply
Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
 
RandallW20's Avatar
 
Cichlid Lake Salt

Does anyone use the Cichlid Lake Salt?
I have a 90 gal that I will be adding some Malawis and maybe some Victorians too. Is it recomended to add this salt or will I be fine without it?

Thanks!
Randall
Posted via Mobile Device
RandallW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
 
Waste of money for something you can get far cheaper. spoonful of epson salt, spoonful of baking soda, and a spoon of Mortons water softening salt(light blue bag with salt crystals in the gardening center at walmart). One spoon of each per 5 gallons will mimic the lake water perfectly and aside from the baking soda which you will eat through pretty quick(still super cheap) the other two will last a loooong time, especially the mortons.
Bluetangclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
 
RandallW20's Avatar
 
That sounds good, but do I even need to add any of these things? Or will I be fine without them?
My nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph, gh, and kh are all perfect or near perfect. I'm just wondering about the stuff I can't test for....
Posted via Mobile Device
RandallW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
 
Depending on the generation your cichlids will thank you. You should strive to recreate their home environment as close as possible within reason. This is an easy one IMO and you will see better colors and activity.
Bluetangclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
 
rrcoolj's Avatar
 
If your talking about regualar salt and not buffer than no. Salt is really only needed to help heal bruises and cuts as well as other medical treatments. I would't continuoulsy add it to the tank. Id doubt it will make much of a difference too. It's good to keep some on hand though.
rrcoolj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #6
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallW20 View Post
That sounds good, but do I even need to add any of these things? Or will I be fine without them?
My nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph, gh, and kh are all perfect or near perfect. I'm just wondering about the stuff I can't test for....
Posted via Mobile Device

If you have hard ,alkaline water from the tap that suits the fishes needs, then you prolly don't need to use the cichlid salts that raise the pH and hardness.
If not, I would use one of the cichlid substrates designed for maintaing the proper hardness that the fish require.
Google info on water parameters for the fish you intend to keep to see what they're needs are.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #7
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetangclan View Post
Waste of money for something you can get far cheaper. spoonful of epson salt, spoonful of baking soda, and a spoon of Mortons water softening salt(light blue bag with salt crystals in the gardening center at walmart). One spoon of each per 5 gallons will mimic the lake water perfectly and aside from the baking soda which you will eat through pretty quick(still super cheap) the other two will last a loooong time, especially the mortons.
Define spoonful, Tablespoon?teaspoon? soupspoon?

A good home made cichlid salt recipe that will work with cichlids and or livebearer's is...

One teaspoon Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
One tablespoon Epsom salt (Magnesium sulphate)
One teaspoon Marine salt (sodium chloride and trace elements)
Per 10 gallons of water to be prepared in bucket and used with weekly water changes.
Do note the tablespoon of Epsom salt, as opposed to teaspoon of the other two.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
 
Tea Spoon. Its what alot of the professional fish breeders here in FL use to cut down on costs.
Bluetangclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #9
 
RandallW20's Avatar
 
Is that for all water no matter the perameters or does it need to be altered based on individual water supplies?
Posted via Mobile Device
RandallW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallW20 View Post
Is that for all water no matter the perameters or does it need to be altered based on individual water supplies?
Posted via Mobile Device
Recipe I offered was for those wishing to harden soft water in order to provide for fishes that require hard alkaline water.If water is already hard and alkaline then altering the water is not needed.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rare Lake Victorians AquaticMadness Cichlids 4 01-01-2011 08:35 PM
Lake Victoria cichlid population recovering/evolution at work Byron Freshwater and Tropical Fish 3 07-13-2010 07:04 AM
Solitary Rift Lake Cichlid? iamntbatman Cichlids 21 05-18-2008 02:23 PM
local lake Busgod Beginner Planted Aquarium 7 05-05-2008 02:58 PM
table salt, rock salt.. possible for salt mix?? nightrider Water Chemistry 6 03-25-2008 10:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.