Rocky Road Discus Fish Food Recipe
3 pounds beef heart - cleaned & defatted & trimmed
2 pounds raw shrimp - peeled
1 pound white fish
1 pound liver (we use beef) - trimmed & rinsed well and soaked in very hot water 3 minutes
2 pounds frozen plankton - thawed, or 6 ounces freeze dried - well rinsed
2 boxes frozen spinach- steamed lightly
1 box peas- steamed lightly
1 clove garlic(use the outside)
6 egg yolks from a hard boiled egg
30 grams of agar powder
1/4 cup brewers yeast
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon spirulina powder
A bottle of multi vitamins
Blender or food proccessor
Coffee bean grinder
2 Boxes Ziplock Bags
1. Run all ingredients through blender or food processor one at a time for a short time and add to large bowl except agar powder, egg yolks, brewers yeast, wheat germ, spirulina powder, and multivitamins.
2. When everything is processed mix well in large bowl.
3. Then add the following ingredients; egg yolks, brewers yeast, wheat germ(after being finely chopped up into a powder like substance in coffee bean grinder), multivitamins (after being finely chopped up into a powder like substance in a coffee bean grinder, and spirulina powder.
4. Mix all ingredients well in bowl.
5. Then stir in 30 grams of agar powder and preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
6. Line cookie sheets with wax paper and pour food onto cookie sheet then spread it out to about 1/2 inch thick.
7. Then, place the sheet in the oven for 20 minutes.
8. Next cool the pans. Place them in the freezer for about 45 minutes until there are more solid.
9. Take out the pan(s) and cut the mixture into 1 inch by 1 inch blocks.
10. Finally, put the blocks in ziplock bags and freeze.
11. To feed, break off little pieces and feed to your discus(use only about 1/4 of the block for every 5 discus per feeding)
12. The food can be made with dewormer or desired medication if needed.
This is made for discus but maybe can be fed to other carnivorous fish