Blue rams in a 55 gallon tank - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
I hate to say this, but the dominant male really bullied the heck out of the other GBRs. They were hiding near the top...a dead giveaway that they'd probably die. So I isolated them and gave all but the dominant male away
But anyway, I was wondering if I could replace the remaining GBR with 4-5 Bolivian rams in the same tank. Are Bolivian rams more peaceful? From the picture of my tank, does my tank have enough plants? Are there enough things to break the line of sight? If not, any suggestions are welcome.
Otherwise, I am thinking of getting 4-5 pearl Gouramis...they are available at my local LFS as well as Petsmart.

Thanks,
Ami
Bolivians are the same. I've first hand experience with my male killing the female I gave him. With Bolivians I recommend the same as for the common Ram; observe the fish in the store and buy a bonded pair. Another method is to buy a group and let them pair off. But then you have the others to deal with. I've had good luck with a single male Bolivian twice.

Gourami are very similar to cichlids. Males are territorial, the degree to which depends but as a couple other members here who tried can tell you, a male can easily kill off the other gourami, male and female, if the mood strikes him. Having said that, one male with 3-4 females in a 55g might work.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Ami
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Bolivians are the same. I've first hand experience with my male killing the female I gave him. With Bolivians I recommend the same as for the common Ram; observe the fish in the store and buy a bonded pair. Another method is to buy a group and let them pair off. But then you have the others to deal with. I've had good luck with a single male Bolivian twice.

Gourami are very similar to cichlids. Males are territorial, the degree to which depends but as a couple other members here who tried can tell you, a male can easily kill off the other gourami, male and female, if the mood strikes him. Having said that, one male with 3-4 females in a 55g might work.
I'll look at the BRs. Any tell tale signs that they're a bonded pair ? I guess its a bit confusing since they keep so many fish in a tiny tank...I might end up pointing to two fish and end up getting one I didn't want !
Also, would it be possible to put in a pair of BRs with the one GBR in the 55G? Or is it best to wait?

Thanks,
Ami
Ami is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
I'll look at the BRs. Any tell tale signs that they're a bonded pair ? I guess its a bit confusing since they keep so many fish in a tiny tank...I might end up pointing to two fish and end up getting one I didn't want !
Also, would it be possible to put in a pair of BRs with the one GBR in the 55G? Or is it best to wait?

Thanks,
Ami
To get a bonded pair, or a pair that is likely to be bonded, you have to observe the tank of fish for a while, like 15 minutes or longer. You will see males "being male," by which I mean pushing each other around. Sort of charging but not physically engaging, though sometimes they will. Females will not be doing this. If one of these males has a less colourful or slightly smaller fish close to him, that he basically ignores, that is likely a female to which he may have bonded. At this point, observe that pair even more closely. If they remain together, it is more likely they have bonded. But if another female is also allowed to be that close, with no variation in the male's behaviour toward either, he may not have decided.

With respect to the two species together: I personally do not like more than one cichlid species in an aquarium. In my experience with dwarf cichlids, both Apistogramma species and these two rams, a 4-foot tank is best with only one species. My females were killed within a few months, and not by males but by other females guarding eggs/fry. For a small fish (an inch) the female when guarding can be very nasty, and any other cichlids female is seen as a direct threat. Catfish are also hounded, since they just naturally lumber along into the nest area. And cichlids will spawn often and regularly, I had females guarding fry every 4-5 weeks. And this was in my 70g flooded Amazon tank which is thick with plants and wood; but the guarding female seems to "sense" other females even if she can't see them. Watching her charge half way across the tank to take a nip out of one of the other females behind some wood was interesting, though not for the poor female on the receiving end.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Last edited by Byron; 02-14-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Byron is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Ami
Member
 
Thanks Byron ! I'll either rehome the GBR to another tank or wait or donate before I get the BRs. The more I learn about the dwarf cichlids, the more fascinated I become with them ! I'll do more research and hopefully I can give a pair a good home
I've got 6 corycats in the 55G. As I understand from reading other threads in this forum, they don't really have a concept of territory. Is it safe to keep a dwarf cichlid pair with corys?
Ami is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami View Post
Thanks Byron ! I'll either rehome the GBR to another tank or wait or donate before I get the BRs. The more I learn about the dwarf cichlids, the more fascinated I become with them ! I'll do more research and hopefully I can give a pair a good home
I've got 6 corycats in the 55G. As I understand from reading other threads in this forum, they don't really have a concept of territory. Is it safe to keep a dwarf cichlid pair with corys?
Yes. Just realize that if the cichlids are a pair and spawn, the corys will be on the receiving end. This usually doesn't do physical harm. Even my male Bolivian on his own used to push corys away when feeding; cichlids eat from the substrate so they naturally get "annoyed" with corys taking "their" food. For some reason he was intolerant of the spotted species even outside of feeding times, whereas he rarely messed with some of the others.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you help sex my blue rams? JordanBrown Freshwater Journals 7 01-26-2012 08:50 PM
Breeding German Blue Rams in a community tank rincon Cichlids 2 01-03-2012 01:52 PM
Blue Rams spawning in community tank trit0n2003 Fish Breeding 0 11-10-2010 02:49 AM
How Many Bolivian Rams should I get for my 65 gallon tank? Angel777 Cichlids 6 02-27-2010 03:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome