Beat up Oscar D: - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Beat up Oscar D:

I went to my local pet store today and I went to go browse and look at the fish. When I got to the end, I saw a Tiger Oscar. Alone. But this tiger oscar had hole in the head, hexamita, rotted fins, and ripped scales EVERYWHERE! My heart skipped a beat, but then he got all playful, and he was so cute and happy, so I couldnt just let him die! He's just like my other oscar, Ozzy! I asked a person if he was for sale and the lady said they would give it to me for FREE! Im buying a tank divider, and im going back tomorrow to rescue him! It turns out his former owner bought two texas cichlids from the same store the poor guy is now, put them with the oscar, and he was in for a beating! Im getting the tank all ready for him, removing the carbon filter and things like that! wish me luck!
-NoaDon12
NoaDon12 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
I wish you luck, you are a very kind. I like that in a person! Do you have metronidazole on hand? It's my go-to for treating Hexamita. Good luck!!

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 01-29-2011, 06:19 AM
TFK Moderator
 
Romad's Avatar
 
Poor lil guy. Good for you for taking him and caring for him. Post some pics as soon as you can.

Animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers.
Romad is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Im going today to get him, i will post pictures asap!
Posted via Mobile Device
NoaDon12 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 01-30-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I wish you luck, you are a very kind. I like that in a person! Do you have metronidazole on hand? It's my go-to for treating Hexamita. Good luck!!
Is that hard to find??? I discovered that yesterday i forgot to get that! Today im going to a bunch of pet stores today in search of that stuff! I spent $44 on meds yesterday but not one was that long m word!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
NoaDon12 is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Member
 
Kazzy's Avatar
 
Poor thing! Kudos for giving him a second chance!

Middle TN Exotics Club

29 Gallon Marbled Tank
15ish Marbled Cray fish
A few Ghost Shrimp


20 Gallon Snail Tank
??? Gold, Brown/Black, Ivory Mystery Snails (lots of babies and eggs too)
??? Pond Snails
1.1 P. Alleni (I think...) in 'baskets' until sold...


10 Gallon Baby Marbled Tank
LOTS of baby Marbled Crayfish


10 Gallon Planted
Unknown plants
Lots of Ghost Shrimp (some berried up :D)
3 Blue Mystery Snails
Kazzy is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoaDon12 View Post
Is that hard to find??? I discovered that yesterday i forgot to get that! Today im going to a bunch of pet stores today in search of that stuff! I spent $44 on meds yesterday but not one was that long m word!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
They may not carry it at the large chain pet stores but any decent LFS will carry this med.
What meds did you buy? You probably already know this but great care needs to be taken when "mixing" meds.

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 08:38 PM
New Member
 
OscarLoverJim's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoaDon12 View Post
I went to my local pet store today and I went to go browse and look at the fish. When I got to the end, I saw a Tiger Oscar. Alone. But this tiger oscar had hole in the head, hexamita, rotted fins, and ripped scales EVERYWHERE! My heart skipped a beat, but then he got all playful, and he was so cute and happy, so I couldnt just let him die! He's just like my other oscar, Ozzy! I asked a person if he was for sale and the lady said they would give it to me for FREE! Im buying a tank divider, and im going back tomorrow to rescue him! It turns out his former owner bought two texas cichlids from the same store the poor guy is now, put them with the oscar, and he was in for a beating! Im getting the tank all ready for him, removing the carbon filter and things like that! wish me luck!
-NoaDon12

Bless you for caring about the damaged oscar but I was wondering what size tank you're putting it in with another oscar. HITH is primarily caused by living in unclean conditions and it's difficult to keep a even single oscar in a 55 gallon maintaining healthy water, it's virtually impossible to maintain 2 oscars in a 55 gallon.

I wouldn't waste any money on HITH medicines, they simply don't work and may screw your biological filter up causing more stress to the fish.

The measure of a person is what they do with what they've been given.
OscarLoverJim is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarLoverJim View Post
Bless you for caring about the damaged oscar but I was wondering what size tank you're putting it in with another oscar. HITH is primarily caused by living in unclean conditions and it's difficult to keep a even single oscar in a 55 gallon maintaining healthy water, it's virtually impossible to maintain 2 oscars in a 55 gallon.

I wouldn't waste any money on HITH medicines, they simply don't work and may screw your biological filter up causing more stress to the fish.
Not to disagree but Metronidazole will not harm a tank's biofilter. I know many fishkeepers who swear by Metro and I'm one of them.

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 AM
New Member
 
OscarLoverJim's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Not to disagree but Metronidazole will not harm a tank's biofilter. I know many fishkeepers who swear by Metro and I'm one of them.
Nothing wrong with disagreement as long as we are open to fact based discussions. Metronidazole is said to work on HITH per the belief the condition is caused by the flagella hexamita which is by no means a given. There are many updated sources on line discussing this.

Hole in the Head by Adam Dagna of World Cichlids

The facts of Hith

Most chemical medications affect aerobic bacteria at least a little and since HITH is heavily positively correlated with stressful water conditions and oscars' condition readily improves with the simple improvement of conditions sans medications my suggestion would be to do that first.

I hope you NoaDon are successful with the oscar's recuperation and again commend you for caring.

The measure of a person is what they do with what they've been given.
OscarLoverJim is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't beat the Algea :( cbirk Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 02-28-2010 03:26 AM
HELP! my fish are getting beat up! LOUIE ACES Freshwater and Tropical Fish 51 08-03-2009 12:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome