Attention ! I'm sorry, but I need help, my Oscar's going to DIE
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » Attention ! I'm sorry, but I need help, my Oscar's going to DIE

Attention ! I'm sorry, but I need help, my Oscar's going to DIE

This is a discussion on Attention ! I'm sorry, but I need help, my Oscar's going to DIE within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Ok, so I came back from holidays and saw that my Oscar, and 3 parrotfish cichlids were suffering from head and lateral line erosion. ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Spadetailed Checkerboard Cichlid
Spadetailed Checkerboard Cichlid
Discus
Discus
Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Attention ! I'm sorry, but I need help, my Oscar's going to DIE
Old 07-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #1
 
Exclamation Attention ! I'm sorry, but I need help, my Oscar's going to DIE

Ok, so I came back from holidays and saw that my Oscar, and 3 parrotfish cichlids were suffering from head and lateral line erosion. Sadly, within this month, all three of my little parrots died :( I only realized now that they died from HLLD. My Oscar should be next, he's been with me for 3 or 4 years now and idk what I'd do if he went away. I want some quick answers as this is an emergency.

I started using API Melafix because it heals open wounds and at first I thought those were just severe scrapes from rocks, gravel, etc. It kinda helped but then I had big exams, which really didn't give me any time to do anything and I had ran out of Melafix so the disease got a teeny bit worse.

He also suffers from Fin Rot. Melafix fixes this apparently. My water is a little bit cloudy (due to the Melafix I'd say). And I heard that the carbon inside the filter usually causes HLLE disease. Should I remove my carbon from the filter ? It's a 250 liter tank (60-65 gallons I think) amd I use a Fluval 305 I think (not entirely sure, but definitely it's by Fluval)

I would like to know what happens if I remove the carbon, can I remove it without killing my Oscar ? And is it suggested I remove it in this situation ? Also, I'm going on a one month holiday at the end of July, I want my Oscar to hang in there until I get back at the start of September.

Thanks.
OscarFishOwn is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Wow! Sorry to hear about your poor fish. I do not know much about diseases in fish. I have always been a believer that water changes are your best chance of helping the fish. Keeping those water parameters stable at all times to prevent illness and even cure it in some cases. I have read articles about gradually increasing water temps a little can also help.

I assume someone takes care of your fish when you away so long? Are they doing weekly water changes on the tank as well? I guess if it were me (and it is not) I would do a 50-60% water change adding a dose of Prime to the water. I might turn the water temp up a degree or two IF it is already in the fish's needed comfort zone. I wouldn't be cooking him by over doing that.

I Hope all goes welll for your dear fish. I hope others can offer more help, soon.
Inga is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
Wow! Sorry to hear about your poor fish. I do not know much about diseases in fish. I have always been a believer that water changes are your best chance of helping the fish. Keeping those water parameters stable at all times to prevent illness and even cure it in some cases. I have read articles about gradually increasing water temps a little can also help.

I assume someone takes care of your fish when you away so long? Are they doing weekly water changes on the tank as well? I guess if it were me (and it is not) I would do a 50-60% water change adding a dose of Prime to the water. I might turn the water temp up a degree or two IF it is already in the fish's needed comfort zone. I wouldn't be cooking him by over doing that.

I Hope all goes welll for your dear fish. I hope others can offer more help, soon.
Thanks for replying. And sadly nobody takes care of the fish while I'm on vacation. Last time, I was gone for 2 weeks and I came back to see the top of my Oscar's head almost gone because of the HLLE. I clean my fish tank every 2 weeks I would say, (or whenever a fish dies) and I clean the filter every second time. (1st time= Clean, 2nd= Leave it, 3rd= Clean, and so on) I live in a small town with a decent pet store who have the dumbest people working there. Like, I'm 14 and I know wayy more about fish then they do. They were gonna get me to use medicine for Ich to treat that disease and made me use Methylane Blue in my tank.

Theres no one who can clean my tank properly when I'm gone on vacation. I plan on cleaning it really well before I go then leave it for a month with an auto-pellet feeder inside.
Posted via Mobile Device
OscarFishOwn is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
 
I advise against changing your water and your filter at the same time...changing the water AND filter is getting rid of a large bit of the beneficial bacteria in your tank.
PrettyKitty187 is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
 
So how often do you recommend cleaning the filter ?
Posted via Mobile Device
OscarFishOwn is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
 
Inga's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFishOwn View Post
So how often do you recommend cleaning the filter ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Are there live plants in this tank? If so, you can certainly clean the filter at the same time. I do. There is plenty of bacteria in the substrate, on the leaves of plants, on wood and decor in the tank. If you are concerned about removing too much then just rinse the filter in the tank water and replace. I have never had an issue and I super clean the tank and the filters. I just leave the gravel alone for the most part other then sucking stuff off the top of the gravel layer.
Inga is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
 
I only have 4 artificial rocks in the tank. I firstly want to get rid of this horrible disease he has, so any tips on how ?
Posted via Mobile Device
OscarFishOwn is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
 
rrcoolj's Avatar
 
Your oscar isn't suffering because of carbon or because you are gone, he is probably suffering because of poor water quality. IF you had an oscar and 3 parrot fish in a 250l aquaium and you were only doing water changes every other week, there is a problem. He probably had HITHD long before you noticed. Poor water is the key reason why oscars get this disease and unfortunately a lot of them get them because people just don't keep the water clean enough.

HITHD is irreversible. If it is too far in you will lose an oscar soon but if he may not be. We need to know your nitrate levels as well as ammonia and nitrite. You also need to up your water change schedule to at minimum 50% every single week. Oscar are big fish and need a heavy water change schedule. What filter exactly are your running? The mechanical media should be cleaned every week especially in your case. Bio media should never be cleaned. Carbon is chemical media and most fish keepers tend to not use it all the time because all it does is remove things like medication out of water. It did not make your oscar sick. I would leave it there to remove any medication you have dosed the tank with. Mediation will not help your oscars HITHD clean water will. I would focus on getting your water clean before proceeding with medication.

GL with your oscar I hope he makes it!
rrcoolj is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrcoolj View Post
Your oscar isn't suffering because of carbon or because you are gone, he is probably suffering because of poor water quality. IF you had an oscar and 3 parrot fish in a 250l aquaium and you were only doing water changes every other week, there is a problem. He probably had HITHD long before you noticed. Poor water is the key reason why oscars get this disease and unfortunately a lot of them get them because people just don't keep the water clean enough.

HITHD is irreversible. If it is too far in you will lose an oscar soon but if he may not be. We need to know your nitrate levels as well as ammonia and nitrite. You also need to up your water change schedule to at minimum 50% every single week. Oscar are big fish and need a heavy water change schedule. What filter exactly are your running? The mechanical media should be cleaned every week especially in your case. Bio media should never be cleaned. Carbon is chemical media and most fish keepers tend to not use it all the time because all it does is remove things like medication out of water. It did not make your oscar sick. I would leave it there to remove any medication you have dosed the tank with. Mediation will not help your oscars HITHD clean water will. I would focus on getting your water clean before proceeding with medication.

GL with your oscar I hope he makes it!
I don't know what tank exactly it is, but it's definitely Fluval 3 _ _ .

I'm not sure if it could be HLLE because the Melafix was fixing it :O My Oscar already had HITH but it might've gotten worse due to this. I'll try and get a picture of the Oscar up soon and thanks :)


EDIT: I got it now, it's a Fluval 105.
OscarFishOwn is offline  
Old 07-16-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
 
rrcoolj's Avatar
 
A fluval 105 is only 260gph really not enough to filter that tank.

Pictures would certainly help but I am sure you will fix your problems by increasing water quality. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings are also great if you can give them.
rrcoolj is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small film-ish covering on part of my oscar's eye joeyburger Tropical Fish Diseases 18 03-30-2010 02:30 PM
Oscar's hole in the head doctorb Tropical Fish Diseases 3 08-22-2008 04:46 PM
ATTENTION!!!!! herefishy Beginner Planted Aquarium 2 04-25-2008 11:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.