angelfish with salt?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Cichlids » angelfish with salt?

angelfish with salt?

This is a discussion on angelfish with salt? within the Cichlids forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Is salt for treatment reasons ok with angelfish i think i may have ich i see like 2 spots on one of my six ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Discus
Discus
Oscar
Oscar
Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
 
angelfish with salt?

Is salt for treatment reasons ok with angelfish i think i may have ich i see like 2 spots on one of my six angels and if it is ich i wanna hit it fast im gunna do a 25%water change and my temp is allready at 81 salt a good idea or what?
Alex1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
 
AndrewM21's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1331 View Post
Is salt for treatment reasons ok with angelfish i think i may have ich i see like 2 spots on one of my six angels and if it is ich i wanna hit it fast im gunna do a 25%water change and my temp is allready at 81 salt a good idea or what?
Angelfish can tolerate salt, yes. But Angelfish can thrive in waters up to 86F, therefore salt is not necessary. Crank up your heater to about 84 and let heat run it's course. After that, vacuum the aquarium and do some water changes to get rid of the ich spores.
AndrewM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I would not use salt as there are safer methods. Raising the temp as suggested, up to 90F for a week, adding airstone is advisable, will deal with ich. Another remedy is CopperSafe with delicate fish at 85F.

Salt does affect fish, and soft water fish are best not exposed to it; it will add more stress on top of everything else.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
 
Ok i have a bubble wall and i can crank my airator and turn my heat up to what? Like 85?
Alex1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
 
AndrewM21's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1331 View Post
Ok i have a bubble wall and i can crank my airator and turn my heat up to what? Like 85?
85 would do the trick, I'd let it run at this temperature for about a week and see how everything looks in the tank. After you no longer see signs of ich on the fish, you are going to want to vacuum the aquarium and do a water change. I would recommend doing a change + vacuum daily (if possible) but certainly not necessary.
AndrewM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
 
FishyFishy89's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM21 View Post
Angelfish can tolerate salt, yes. But Angelfish can thrive in waters up to 86F, therefore salt is not necessary. Crank up your heater to about 84 and let heat run it's course. After that, vacuum the aquarium and do some water changes to get rid of the ich spores.
ditto
Best of luck on treating your angels!
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
 
Thanx guys im slowly raising temp now
Alex1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I would raise the temp close to 90F, angelfish are OK for a week. At 85F it will likely not be sufficient to kill the ich.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
 
AndrewM21's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would raise the temp close to 90F, angelfish are OK for a week. At 85F it will likely not be sufficient to kill the ich.
I normally would not disagree with 'temperature' requirements, but what you have posted is quite misleading. Temperatures above 78F will accelerate ichs life span and kill it in a little over a week, saying that 85F is not sufficient is quite misleading and will put an unnecessary strain on the fish when not required.

Angelfish will survive in 90F water, but boosting up the temperature that high is certainly not necessary. It is documented (very well) that temperatures above 78F will accelerate the disease, the higher the heat, the faster it dies. 85F would be sufficient to accelerate the life cycle in a short period of time and then you can clean up the mess afterwards.

I myself have successfully heat treated Ich infested aquariums in 82F water, thus showing it can be done with quite lower temperatures than what you described. Before ye go on to say that the above temperature is not sufficient to "destroy" the organism, I didn't say it was or wasn't. Temperatures of around 86F with proper aeration will ensure the disease is abolished but it can be treated with much lower water temperatures over an extended period of time and water changes.

Not saying your suggestion is wrong, but I'm saying it's misleading. With posts like that you will probably have people trying to treat lower temperature fish in 90 Degree water and whoops, something bad happened?

Last edited by AndrewM21; 02-08-2013 at 03:44 PM..
AndrewM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
 
Byron's Avatar
 
It was a few months back, and I can't remember who or where, that I read this. Temp at 90F will kill the ich, if fish can manage that, but not at lower temps. If you can provide some info on other info, I would welcome it. B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM21 View Post
I normally would not disagree with 'temperature' requirements, but what you have posted is quite misleading. Temperatures above 78F will accelerate ichs life span and kill it in a little over a week, saying that 85F is not sufficient is quite misleading and will put an unnecessary strain on the fish when not required.

Angelfish will survive in 90F water, but boosting up the temperature that high is certainly not necessary. It is documented (very well) that temperatures above 78F will accelerate the disease, the higher the heat, the faster it dies. 85F would be sufficient to accelerate the life cycle in a short period of time and then you can clean up the mess afterwards.

I myself have successfully heat treated Ich infested aquariums in 82F water, thus showing it can be done with quite lower temperatures than what you described. Before ye go on to say that the above temperature is not sufficient to "destroy" the organism, I didn't say it was or wasn't. Temperatures of around 86F with proper aeration will ensure the disease is abolished but it can be treated with much lower water temperatures over an extended period of time and water changes.

Not saying your suggestion is wrong, but I'm saying it's misleading. With posts like that you will probably have people trying to treat lower temperature fish in 90 Degree water and whoops, something bad happened?
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Golden angelfish/Coral Beauty angelfish compatibility mahu25 Saltwater Fish 1 04-09-2011 08:43 PM
table salt, rock salt.. possible for salt mix?? nightrider Water Chemistry 6 03-25-2008 10:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.