Advice on stocking 55g - one "wet pet" - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 04-04-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Looks like my family and I have narrowed the decision down to either a Red Severum or a Blue Acara (possibly a pair).

These choices seem good for a 55g and have the personality/traits/size I was looking for.

Thoughts? :D

I've had aquariums in one way or another for over 40 years. Currently have a tetra community tank, a jewel cichlid species tank, a guppy species tank, have a tank cycling and am starting a saltwater reef setup.
Lyrical is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 24 Old 04-04-2014, 04:43 PM
Member
 
Have you looked into the Midas Cichlid? I've had many and though they are claimed to get 15" I've never seen over 11" in my own collection or in exhibits/shops/friends collections. Full of personality, a fish you won't likely regret!
Posted via Mobile Device
Flint is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 04-04-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Have you looked into the Midas Cichlid? I've had many and though they are claimed to get 15" I've never seen over 11" in my own collection or in exhibits/shops/friends collections. Full of personality, a fish you won't likely regret!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes I have! Wouldn't they be too large for a 55g tank even if they'd only get to 11"? A 55g is only 12" in depth.

I've had aquariums in one way or another for over 40 years. Currently have a tetra community tank, a jewel cichlid species tank, a guppy species tank, have a tank cycling and am starting a saltwater reef setup.
Lyrical is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
Id be tempted to keep an axolotl or two if it were my tank.
jaysee likes this.
Agent13 is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 04-05-2014, 02:11 AM
FIREMOUTH! FIREMOUTH! FIREMOUTH! FIREMOUTH! Seriously, consider a firemouth, you wont regret it, ever! But in the end, just get what you are happy with;) (that will fit in the tank of course) Id love an arapaima and a redtailed cat, but i could never afford a tank big enough for those River Monsters!
Cichlidsrule102 is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 AM
Member
 
IME, I saw 8-10" being the average adult size for a Midas and would feel comfortable housing one in a 55.
Flint is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 04-05-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
Id be tempted to keep an axolotl or two if it were my tank.

I've had them before, they ARE awesome!! Such a throwback to...I don't know what! Prehistoric looking guys. Sooo cool! lol

I've had aquariums in one way or another for over 40 years. Currently have a tetra community tank, a jewel cichlid species tank, a guppy species tank, have a tank cycling and am starting a saltwater reef setup.
Lyrical is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 04-05-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CichlidsRule101 View Post
FIREMOUTH! FIREMOUTH! FIREMOUTH! FIREMOUTH! Seriously, consider a firemouth, you wont regret it, ever! But in the end, just get what you are happy with;) (that will fit in the tank of course) Id love an arapaima and a redtailed cat, but i could never afford a tank big enough for those River Monsters!
Is that a hint? ;) Okay, okay...I will put a Firemouth back on my list to consider.

I know what you mean though, the more I look through fish profiles, the more tanks and fish I want. I already had to get rid of furniture in the living room to make room for this 55g! In this house, there's also the issue of the electricity. (sigh)

I can still dream though...and hope the 55g satisfies me...for a while...

I've had aquariums in one way or another for over 40 years. Currently have a tetra community tank, a jewel cichlid species tank, a guppy species tank, have a tank cycling and am starting a saltwater reef setup.
Lyrical is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 04-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrical View Post

I know what you mean though, the more I look through fish profiles, the more tanks and fish I want. I already had to get rid of furniture in the living room to make room for this 55g! In this house, there's also the issue of the electricity. (sigh)

I can still dream though...and hope the 55g satisfies me...for a while...

Don't feel bad .. My daughter ended up watching the land before time from inside one of our fish tanks. There honestly wasnt a place for her on the couch -_-
Hehehe


Sent from Petguide.com App
Flint and Lyrical like this.

Agent13 is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 04-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Midas cichlids (amphilophus citrenellus) can easily grow to 14in, and red devils (amphilophus labiatus) can grow just as big. In one of my favourite lfs I honestly saw a 14+in pure bred midas (at least he certainly looked pure). That was about a year ago. A biologist (Jeramy Wade) said that fish will continue to grow throughout there entire life. Once they reach their 'maximum' size, their growth will slow considerably, and their continued growth will be almost unnoticeable, but they are nonetheless still growing. The warmer the water, the higher the oxygen content, the more food available, and the more space, the faster they will continue to grow. A classic example is the wels catfish in southern spain, which can grow to 10+ft, and have been documented to attack, and sometimes devour people while they swimming.
Cichlidsrule102 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update 55g "Nightmare tank" and what it looks today (Words of algae encouragement) Angel079 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 20 12-30-2009 09:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome