55g - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-28-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
55g

A while back I was told I could basically do nothing with the 10g I had.... So I took the admins advice and upgraded to a 55g Now fishlore told me I shouldnt put an oscar in a 55g which I think someone here told me I could. What are your opinions? if not what are good sized cichlids or just fish in general that will come up to you in the tank and will not be shy. Pretty much wouldnt mind being hand fed. And isnt saltwater or brackish. Or atleast something that just doesnt hide from you
Deku is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 06-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Member
 
jeaninel's Avatar
 
Aquarium
55's are iffy for Oscars mainly because the width of the tank is only 12" and Oscars can grow to about 14". So there's not much turn around room for them. 75 gallons are better because they're 18" wide.

I had a severum in my 55 for awhile. She was shy at first but became very friendly and would eat out of my hand. I've also had angels do the same. My Leopard Ctenopoma I have now is my favorite fish in my 55 and comes right out and wiggles around begging for food when I come up to the tank.

150 Gallon - Mostly American Cichlids
135 Gallon - Angelfish Community
75 Gallon - Odd couple (Polleni/Angelfish)
55 Gallon - African tank
20 Gallon Long - QT
10 Gallon - Empty
jeaninel is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 06-28-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaninel View Post
55's are iffy for Oscars mainly because the width of the tank is only 12" and Oscars can grow to about 14". So there's not much turn around room for them. 75 gallons are better because they're 18" wide.

I had a severum in my 55 for awhile. She was shy at first but became very friendly and would eat out of my hand. I've also had angels do the same. My Leopard Ctenopoma I have now is my favorite fish in my 55 and comes right out and wiggles around begging for food when I come up to the tank.
If you mean the bush fish no thanks ^^;;; had them a year ago ^^;; well my brother did.. <<;; and I like fish with dog like personality as crazy it may sound there are actuall fish out there that has that personality and my tank is 13wide. not 12 o-o and 48long and I think 12-14tall
Deku is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
God I hope people will post asap @_@ I dont like waiting too much.. @_@
Deku is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
IME, most Cichlids have friendly personalities but I tend to favor the Gourami as they seem to be a little more dog-like
Though I have a very sweet Angel that will eat right from my fingers, the only problem is I have to chase him away come WC time 'cause he'll nip at my arm My convict is also very friendly and most of the cichlids I see when visiting the LFS come to greet you.
However, I still find the Gourami more dog-like.

If you want something big, maybe a Jack Dempsey? They don't get as large as the Oscar I don't think and my dad had one once that was very, very cool.
DragonFish is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
IME, most Cichlids have friendly personalities but I tend to favor the Gourami as they seem to be a little more dog-like
Though I have a very sweet Angel that will eat right from my fingers, the only problem is I have to chase him away come WC time 'cause he'll nip at my arm My convict is also very friendly and most of the cichlids I see when visiting the LFS come to greet you.
However, I still find the Gourami more dog-like.

If you want something big, maybe a Jack Dempsey? They don't get as large as the Oscar I don't think and my dad had one once that was very, very cool.
Gouramis I had one it did nothing just sit there in his 20g. and a jack dempsey? The other forum told me that xP Iam trying to get as many answers as possible. But I want to know whats the care for jack dempseys and what makes them so special :P I know I cant keep corries with them which pretty much sucks Dx but yea
Deku is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 06-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
Really? Most every Gourami I've ever owned were active and pretty cool fish, the two I have now(a standard Dwarf and a Honey)Both eat from my fingers and allow me to pet them, not to mention they have the cutest little personalities. What kind of Gourami did you have? What else was with it? Some are shyer then others and probably need a little more coaxing and attention, also don't take well to active/nippy tank mates.

I don't know much about the Jack, it was may dads and lived in his office....but that was 2 1/2-3 years ago. And goodness knows he wasn't the type of person to look up and know everything about the guy.
I'd say they're care should be smiler to that of an Oscar, but do a little googling. Google can be your best friend
DragonFish is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 06-29-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Really? Most every Gourami I've ever owned were active and pretty cool fish, the two I have now(a standard Dwarf and a Honey)Both eat from my fingers and allow me to pet them, not to mention they have the cutest little personalities. What kind of Gourami did you have? What else was with it? Some are shyer then others and probably need a little more coaxing and attention, also don't take well to active/nippy tank mates.

I don't know much about the Jack, it was may dads and lived in his office....but that was 2 1/2-3 years ago. And goodness knows he wasn't the type of person to look up and know everything about the guy.
I'd say they're care should be smiler to that of an Oscar, but do a little googling. Google can be your best friend
I had a moonlight gourami I was told they were quite rare so I bought it. Later on my mom wanted it and somehow -____-;;; It just died within the week. -_____-;;; Anywho. I also am having a sudden interest or more of like that interest ived been having along time ago has been sparked, fancy goldfish. And still is the jack dempsey. God for some reason whenever I say Jack I think of Jack daniels ( I heard the name somewhere dont remember where but its catchy)
Deku is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 06-30-2009, 02:05 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
You might be interested in cichlids such as the Firemounth,Blue Acara,Severum,Keyhole, rainbow,Kribensis,and possibly convicts. Research them, Too many differing opinions can be confusing,, Best to do your own research and form your own opinion.
Jack Dempsey could work but there aren't many fish that it will tolerate with the exception of some of the Synodontis cats. Oscar would indeed need a MINIMUM 75gal.In my humble opinion.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 06-30-2009, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Deku's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
You might be interested in cichlids such as the Firemounth,Blue Acara,Severum,Keyhole, rainbow,Kribensis,and possibly convicts. Research them, Too many differing opinions can be confusing,, Best to do your own research and form your own opinion.
Jack Dempsey could work but there aren't many fish that it will tolerate with the exception of some of the Synodontis cats. Oscar would indeed need a MINIMUM 75gal.In my humble opinion.
Correct. I like sydnotis cats too. But I wanted larger cichlids so Id probably stick with dempseys, severums,firemouths.
Deku is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome