I am trying to plan out a new take and I have decided to go wit African cichlids. I know I have to overstock the tank to "spread out" the aggression, but I m not sure exactly how much I need to overstock the tank. I was thinking about getting 55 and putting two Emperor 400's on it for the time being. I eventually want to get a canister for it and use leave one hob on it and the other for a 30 gallon community for my daughter. My first question is whether the two hob's would be enough filtration until I can get a canister? My second question is, what kind of canister should I get? I was looking at either the Marineland 360 or the Rena XP3, and didn't know if one was better.
I have a stocklist of what I would like in the tank but I don't know if it is too much for the tank. I would like to utilize all of the stratospheres of the tank and have a rather attractive stock. Here is my stocklist if someone would be willing to give me some input about it, if I should remove some and if so what:
- Neolamprologus brevis----- 3 (1 male & 2 females)
- Altolamprologus compressiceps ----2 (1 male & 1 female)
- Altolamprologus calvus ------3 (1 male & 2 females)
- Chalinochromis brichardi ------2 (1 male & 1 female)
- Neolamprologus buescheri ----3 (1 male & 2 females)
- Lamprologus meleagris ----4 (2 males & 2 females)
- Neolamprologus Leleupi ----3 (1 male & 2 females)
- Julidochromis transcriptus -----2 (1 male & 1 female)
- Neolamprologus sexfasciatus ----2 (1 male & 1 female)
-Neolamprologus tretacephalus ----2 (1 male & 1 female)
- Synodontus eupterus catfish -----1 (male)
Any and all input is welcomed and appreciated. Or should I go bigger and get a 75, but would the filtration setup I want work for that tank? I don't know what to do, I have asked this in the equipment section and they couldn't give me an answer and set me to this section.