My Black Skirts are killing all my Corys! :( Help! - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-17-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
My Black Skirts are killing all my Corys! :( Help!

I don't know what to do. Last night when I came home, I found my 3rd dead Cory sitting on the bottom with a bloody fin. Got bit by one of my Black Skirts and probably died of stress. Last month, one of the Black Skirts bit and kept biting another Corys tail until it couldn't swim and died :( Before that, one of them bit a Cory near the gills and he died too. Whenever I am in the room, it seems like the Black Skirts mind their own business. I don't know what to do anymore. I am seriously thinking about taking all of the Black Skirts back to the LFS and replacing them with a different species.

29g
[7] Rummy Nose Tetra
[5] Pepper Cory
JordynMurdock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM
zof
Member
 
zof's Avatar
 
I don't know much about tetras but I think your right on if you think one fish is bullying/attacking other fish then its time to remove that fish.
zof is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zof View Post
I don't know much about tetras but I think your right on if you think one fish is bullying/attacking other fish then its time to remove that fish.
I'm thinking of removing ALL of the Black Skirts because every once and awhile I see them all act kind of nippy. I don't know who the killer is because like I said before, they do it whenever I am out of the room. I guess I will replace the species with a different.

29g
[7] Rummy Nose Tetra
[5] Pepper Cory
JordynMurdock is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
This is somewhat typical of this species (mentioned in the profile Black Widow Tetra)- not always, but it is known to happen. It has been a long time since I've kept them, but I do remember them being aggressive to some extent, though not as bad as Serpae Tetra or Tiger Barb.

Flame Tetra offer a similar look, but have a slimmer body and red coloration instead of black. I've never had these, but all I've read say they are very peaceful.
Quantum is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
This is somewhat typical of this species (mentioned in the profile Black Widow Tetra)- not always, but it is known to happen. It has been a long time since I've kept them, but I do remember them being aggressive to some extent, though not as bad as Serpae Tetra or Tiger Barb.

Flame Tetra offer a similar look, but have a slimmer body and red coloration instead of black. I've never had these, but all I've read say they are very peaceful.
Thank you! I will look into those! I'm gonna take a trip to the LFS to see if there are replacement options.

29g
[7] Rummy Nose Tetra
[5] Pepper Cory
JordynMurdock is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordynMurdock View Post
I don't know what to do. Last night when I came home, I found my 3rd dead Cory sitting on the bottom with a bloody fin. Got bit by one of my Black Skirts and probably died of stress. Last month, one of the Black Skirts bit and kept biting another Corys tail until it couldn't swim and died :( Before that, one of them bit a Cory near the gills and he died too. Whenever I am in the room, it seems like the Black Skirts mind their own business. I don't know what to do anymore. I am seriously thinking about taking all of the Black Skirts back to the LFS and replacing them with a different species.
I got tetras in my 55 gals. Aquarium (5 Black Skirts, 6 Sarpae, 3 Lemons,5 Red Eyes, with 2 Emerald Green Corys and 4 German Blue, plus 2 Chinese Algae Eaters). The only ones that created me troubles are the Algae Eaters .But is true those tetras are fin nippers. Probably the water condition for them are to low or high for them. I'm referring to the KH,Temp. or PH. Even the light could cause that conduct. Little bit of salt may help them. Just saying.
P.S. Fishes like Cory need some hidden places and plants to prevent those kind of attacks.

Last edited by sion342; 12-22-2011 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
sion342 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
No mention is made of the tank size, nor of the number of Black Skirt (Black Widow Tetra) in the group. But this species does have a slight inherent tendency to nip fins of some fish, and such tendencies can be intensified if the fish is not in sufficient numbers and/or the tank space is--to the fish--small. Tetra usually need a minimum of six, but species that have nipping tendencies should always be in larger groups. Sometimes this can keep such behaviours in check, or within the group. And the tank size plays into this; scientific studies have now proven that shoaling fish kept in groups under six and/or in too small a tank for the species will show much more aggressive behaviours, even to the point of otherwise peaceful fish becoming somewhat aggressive. And the last poster's comments on water parameters is also true; adverse (to the fish) water conditions can bring out such tendencies.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
sion342 (12-23-2011)
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I get 1 fem dwarf puffer in with 5 black skirts? euphoria Characins 4 11-11-2011 03:45 PM
sterba's corys vs. peppered/bronze corys? dorabaker Catfish 2 07-11-2011 09:16 PM
Black skirts not schooling? seo Characins 4 05-01-2009 09:03 AM
black skirts possibly breeding? ghosty Fish Breeding 0 01-13-2009 11:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome