Lone female diamond tetra
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Characins » Lone female diamond tetra

Lone female diamond tetra

This is a discussion on Lone female diamond tetra within the Characins forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> Things in my 55 planted are doing great right now. The plants are constantly grow taller and getting brighter and the amount of snails ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Blind Cave Tetra
Blind Cave Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Black Phantom Tetra
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Lone female diamond tetra
Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Question Lone female diamond tetra

Things in my 55 planted are doing great right now. The plants are constantly grow taller and getting brighter and the amount of snails has GREATLY dropped. Last week I picked up seven diamond tetras( 2 males 5 females). They've colored up beautifully and have even tried spawning. The only problem is, this one female is acting strange. She doesn't sparkle like the rest and hides in plants, she doesn't even come out to eat. She doesn't look sick. Could she some how be stressed? Also, before anyone ask I'm sure she's a diamond tetra.

Last edited by Jayy; 05-23-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Is respiration faster than the others? Does it just hover?
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Is respiration faster than the others? Does it just hover?
Yes her respiration is faster than to others. She doesn't hover she just doesn't leave the plants.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
This may be something internal, some type of protozoan or parasite. Seem to be a lot of this these days. I lost a number of fish over the past two weeks to a protozoan that came in with new fish. I now QT everything, regardless where I get it.

These symptoms always result in the fish dying in my experience, unless one can diagnose the issue and treat it. And I'm of no use in this.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
This may be something internal, some type of protozoan or parasite. Seem to be a lot of this these days. I lost a number of fish over the past two weeks to a protozoan that came in with new fish. I now QT everything, regardless where I get it.

These symptoms always result in the fish dying in my experience, unless one can diagnose the issue and treat it. And I'm of no use in this.
I'll keep an eye on her. Thanks for trying.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Sorry to butt in but I don't see the need to make a new thread for my similar problem.
Is this contagious? I've had my cories for maybe 2 months and all of them have grown like weeds but one, he "cuddles" the others when they're near him but doesn't school with them. He's still the size I bought him at, 1" while everyone else is at least 1.5" now. His breathing is faster too. So pretty similar. I hope he won't get the other cories or betta sick too, treating cories is such a pain too. :(
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Sorry to butt in but I don't see the need to make a new thread for my similar problem.
Is this contagious? I've had my cories for maybe 2 months and all of them have grown like weeds but one, he "cuddles" the others when they're near him but doesn't school with them. He's still the size I bought him at, 1" while everyone else is at least 1.5" now. His breathing is faster too. So pretty similar. I hope he won't get the other cories or betta sick too, treating cories is such a pain too. :(
Posted via Mobile Device
No problem, I also want to know.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Sorry to butt in but I don't see the need to make a new thread for my similar problem.
Is this contagious? I've had my cories for maybe 2 months and all of them have grown like weeds but one, he "cuddles" the others when they're near him but doesn't school with them. He's still the size I bought him at, 1" while everyone else is at least 1.5" now. His breathing is faster too. So pretty similar. I hope he won't get the other cories or betta sick too, treating cories is such a pain too. :(
Posted via Mobile Device
You both might want to get Jungle brand Anti-parasite medicated food. It treats internal parasites. It suggests to use as a prevention when introducing fish. You feed 3 days in a row, for a week (exclusively) for 4 weeks.

It could be too late for your cory, but it's worth a try. May protect the other fish from getting it

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GwenInNM For This Useful Post:
Jayy (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Thank you very much! Where can I find it?
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Thank you very much! Where can I find it?

I got it at a fish store here. You might find it at Petco/Petsmart. I'm sure it's on Amazon.

I paid $3.99 for it, so it's not very expensive

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GwenInNM For This Useful Post:
Jayy (05-25-2012)
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diamond Tetra Spawning? Geomancer Characins 7 05-08-2012 04:31 PM
Not a diamond tetra? Philnominal Characins 5 03-27-2012 03:24 PM
Discolored diamond tetra(s) AMWhite Tropical Fish Diseases 0 03-07-2012 12:49 PM
what to do with one lone Buenos Aires Tetra GwenInNM Characins 1 08-29-2011 11:48 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.