Hello everyone I am a beginner and I need your help! :)
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Freshwater and Tropical Fish » Characins » Hello everyone I am a beginner and I need your help! :)

Hello everyone I am a beginner and I need your help! :)

This is a discussion on Hello everyone I am a beginner and I need your help! :) within the Characins forums, part of the Freshwater and Tropical Fish category; --> 20 gallon tank. 1 week in its cycle. Future fish: Neon Tetras, Glofish & otos The tank is full of artificial plants and corals, ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Spotted Headstander
Spotted Headstander
Marble Hatchetfish
Marble Hatchetfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Hello everyone I am a beginner and I need your help! :)
Old 01-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Talking Hello everyone I am a beginner and I need your help! :)

20 gallon tank.
1 week in its cycle.

Future fish: Neon Tetras, Glofish & otos

The tank is full of artificial plants and corals, decorations and one living plant. I have also used tetra safe start, stress zyme, stress coat and neutral regulator. The filter is a Aqueon quietflow 30 which is for 45 gallon tanks. I am also using a fluval aquarium heater of 150 watts. An air pump has also been added for oxygen in the water. I have been testing the water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, hardness, chlorine, alkalinity, and of course the pH. this test kit is thesame one used by the petsmart. I get positive readings for everything when I first look at the strips-- exept that when I look at it the next day the test strips indicate that the nitrate level is at 40, and the nitrite level is at 3.0 which falls in the stress line in the scale.

I am very patient with this thing and the only reason I am is because I really really dont want to go through any loss of fish in the biggining. it makes me sad.

I am wondering if the effect of the atmosphere has something to do with the changes overnight in the testing strips? I have tried to learn as much as I can about these fish and I want them to be happy and Ill wait as long as possible to add the fish.

please help!

thank you!!!
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
 
brancasterr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
20 gallon tank.
1 week in its cycle.

Future fish: Neon Tetras, Glofish & otos

The tank is full of artificial plants and corals, decorations and one living plant. I have also used tetra safe start, stress zyme, stress coat and neutral regulator. The filter is a Aqueon quietflow 30 which is for 45 gallon tanks. I am also using a fluval aquarium heater of 150 watts. An air pump has also been added for oxygen in the water. I have been testing the water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, hardness, chlorine, alkalinity, and of course the pH. this test kit is thesame one used by the petsmart. I get positive readings for everything when I first look at the strips-- exept that when I look at it the next day the test strips indicate that the nitrate level is at 40, and the nitrite level is at 3.0 which falls in the stress line in the scale.

I am very patient with this thing and the only reason I am is because I really really dont want to go through any loss of fish in the biggining. it makes me sad.

I am wondering if the effect of the atmosphere has something to do with the changes overnight in the testing strips? I have tried to learn as much as I can about these fish and I want them to be happy and Ill wait as long as possible to add the fish.

please help!

thank you!!!
Hey leogtr!

Welcome to the wonderful world of fish. :D

Okay, let me get started. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're testing with strips, reading them, them leaving them out over night? If that's the case, the change in color on your strip overnight is simply because its not doing it's job any longer and yes, the air getting to it all night changes the color.

Also, I would like to add that test strips are VERY inaccurate and if you plan to keep your fish happy and healthy in the long run you should invest in a Master test kit. You can find those at Petsmart as well as most other pet stores and it will cost you around 35 dollars, but it's well worth it. (Especially during the cycling process because it is very accurate.)

As for your cycling process, it takes time. Usually a lot longer than a week if you are starting fresh with no help from an already cycled tank. When I cycled my first tank it took nearly a month and a half to get the levels just right and stable enough to support life.

Here is a step by step method for fishless cycling:

I originally wrote out a method very similar to the one in link below but I felt this one was much easier to follow and also provided more information.

http://www.tropicalfish.site5.com/tf...ad.php?t=60022

Hope this helped!

Last edited by brancasterr; 01-20-2011 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: removed write-out of fishless cycling and replaced with a link to a easier to understand version.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancasterr View Post
Hey leogtr!

Welcome to the wonderful world of fish. :D

Okay, let me get started. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're testing with strips, reading them, them leaving them out over night? If that's the case, the change in color on your strip overnight is simply because its not doing it's job any longer and yes, the air getting to it all night changes the color.

Also, I would like to add that test strips are VERY inaccurate and if you plan to keep your fish happy and healthy in the long run you should invest in a Master test kit. You can find those at Petsmart as well as most other pet stores and it will cost you around 35 dollars, but it's well worth it. (Especially during the cycling process because it is very accurate.)

As for your cycling process, it takes time. Usually a lot longer than a week if you are starting fresh with no help from an already cycled tank. When I cycled my first tank it took nearly a month and a half to get the levels just right and stable enough to support life.

Here is a step by step method for fishless cycling:

I originally wrote out a method very similar to the one in link below but I felt this one was much easier to follow and also provided more information.

A Guide To "Fishless Cycling" - updated - Tropical Fish Centre

Hope this helped!
oh gosh thank you very much I really appreciate your helpful tips!!!

its too bad that the test strips arent accurate because I spent 25 dollars on them and they said those are thesame ones they use to test their aquariums in the shop...I wonder what is a master test kit?

and again I am very thankful for you helping me its all for the sake of the little fishes and their health
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Welcome to TFK, leogtr. A master test kit looks like this:

Freshwater Master Test Kit - API

There are a number of places to buy them online which are cheaper than retail. If it was me I'd return the strips for credit, telling the store that they aren't accurate. The worst they can say is no.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Welcome to TFK, leogtr. A master test kit looks like this:

Freshwater Master Test Kit - API

There are a number of places to buy them online which are cheaper than retail. If it was me I'd return the strips for credit, telling the store that they aren't accurate. The worst they can say is no.
okay! yes thank you aunt kymmie that I will do:)
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #6
 
brancasterr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
okay! yes thank you aunt kymmie that I will do:)
I agree with Aunt Kymmie. Go ask for store credit. Maybe you can spend that 25 dollars on new fish when your tank is all cycled.

As for the help, any time. That's what this forum is all about. :D I remember when I first started posting here. I do believe Aunt Kymmie was one of the first people to respond to me too.

If you have any further questions on anything don't hesitate to ask. It takes a while to learn the basics but once you have them down, you'll do great and provide your fish a happy healthy life.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancasterr View Post
I agree with Aunt Kymmie. Go ask for store credit. Maybe you can spend that 25 dollars on new fish when your tank is all cycled.

As for the help, any time. That's what this forum is all about. :D I remember when I first started posting here. I do believe Aunt Kymmie was one of the first people to respond to me too.

If you have any further questions on anything don't hesitate to ask. It takes a while to learn the basics but once you have them down, you'll do great and provide your fish a happy healthy life.
I really do hope so I want to be a good parent to my little fishes and thanks again brancaster and aunt kymmie I appreciate everything:)
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
 
brancasterr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
I really do hope so I want to be a good parent to my little fishes and thanks again brancaster and aunt kymmie I appreciate everything:)
I'm sure you will be. :D

Keep us updated on your cycling endeavors.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
I also wanted to give you the link to TFK's sticky as far as cycing an aquarium. This is a great article.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I also wanted to give you the link to TFK's sticky as far as cycing an aquarium. This is a great article.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...m-cycle-38617/
thank you for that I've been reading those beginner guides and looking at the differences between them and stuff I hope I didnt screw up because on one of them it said that if you add the bacteria booster products it makes your tank unstable in the future and I've added products like tetra safe start and the stress zime but I dont know..how would I go about making the tank suitable for the bacteria? also there are a couple of tiny snails in the tank is that good or bad? and are daylight light bulbs okay for now? I still have to get a lid and the light-- right now im using a clap on light thingy and I am directing it at the plant..

sorry I just have so many questions
leogtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my little 20g beginner iamtommy714 Saltwater Journals 1 12-21-2010 01:02 AM
Beginner looking for Help! LexCorp Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 27 11-04-2010 11:45 AM
Beginner WakeMeUp Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 09-17-2009 01:44 AM
beginner help! kalaofkona Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 12-08-2008 10:57 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.